• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Are these effects post or in cam?

Alright well i watched this music video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbZidsgMfw

I was wondering was the focusing in post or in cam? it looks like only half is focused at a time?

Also how is that effect done where he just turns into a sillahuet then back into him again?

+20 to any one who can help:lol:

It looks like a tilt shift lens (like a lens baby) and the key light being turned on and off.

Of course it's an easy enough effect to do in post. Especially if it's a chromakey BG.

Heads up, lyrically NSFW.

It looks like a tilt shift lens (like a lens baby) and the key light being turned on and off.

Of course it's an easy enough effect to do in post. Especially if it's a chromakey BG.

Heads up, lyrically NSFW.

Disclaimer: my knowledge of this specific stuff is limited to videos and discussions I've seen/read on this forum. I'm absolutely not an expert, or anything close to it.

That being said, based on what I've seen, I think Paul nailed it on the head. I think all of this would be easier in-cam, and that's what it looks like they did, to me. They did a great job; looks sweet.

Also how is that effect done where he just turns into a sillahuet then back into him again?

Just turn the front light off. :huh:

When you want to see the person illuminated from the front again... turn the light back on. ;)

focusing in post or in cam? it looks like only half is focused at a time?

There's a thread a few months back, about this exact video, that might have some useful info for you.

Just turn the front light off. :huh:

When you want to see the person illuminated from the front again... turn the light back on. ;)

:) Yes, that is the simplified version. The complex version isn't that complex, though.

White background, evenly-lit. The background needs to be significantly more lit than the foreground, the subject of the video. Also, there needs to be enough seperation between the two, so that there will not be any bleed-through, or significant bouncing.

The key-light needs to be just enough to light the subject, but not bright enough to allow the background to be anything other than over-exposed. Silhouette, basically, is created by over-exposing the background, while under-exposing the foreground.

When the key-light is on, the background is over-exposed, and thus washed-out. But the foreground is lit perfectly, so we see our performer.

When the key-light is off, the background is still over-exposed, and still washed-out. But the foreground is under-exposed, so we can't see him. Only thing we see is his silhouette, because he is blocking the way of us seeing the blown-out background.

:)

Back