Are the Oscars right?

I've always thought of the oscars as the deciding choice for the best movies of the year. But lately I've realized that they're probably wrong. Some of the greatest movies of all time have not won or even been nominated for an award. Obviously this post was instigated by the decision that Christopher Nolan is apparently not good enough for a best director nomination for ANY of his films.

What do you guys think, are the oscars really the end all be all?

The Oscars are definitely the best means of becoming widely known and "made." But they're not the law about which movies and directors are the best or not. Plenty of great work does not get nominated and plenty of poor work gets nominated.

I'd like to kidnap a couple of the judges or whoever nominates the movies.

I'll say this. Only about 250 films are eligible for nomination as the Best Picture. This means that the Academy Awards are not really a forum for independent films. There are plenty of awards that reward smaller films, but not the Oscars.

The Oscars, as I see it, are for films that people have seen at the cinema. They are the least esoteric awards and therefore have the broadest appeal. This year they've nominated ten films for best picture. I've seen all of them and enjoyed all of them. There are one or two I might have liked a nomination for, but, all in all, that's a pretty strong crop.

Sure, occasionally they will throw up odd results like Crash beating Brokeback Mountain or as I suspect will happen tonight, The King's Speech beating The Social Network. But that's the nature of any mass voting system where you allow people to make their own choice. All in all the winner tends to be a film that a lot of cinema viewers have enjoyed and in that sense they're probably the most accessible and least snobby awards of the season.

What do you guys think, are the oscars really the end all be all?

The Oscars have NEVER been anything more than a publicity
driven popularity contest.

Hitchcock never won a directing Oscar - Costner has. Regardless
of what you, personally, think of his movie; which director has
the better career as a director?

Scorsese lost to a first time director who happened to be a popular
actor twice.

As you and Instag8r have noted, the list of Best Picture winners vs.
losers is dismal. We each could make a very long list.

I'll say this. Only about 250 films are eligible for nomination as the Best Picture. This means that the Academy Awards are not really a forum for independent films.
Any film released for paid admission in a commercial motion picture
theater in Los Angeles County for one week qualifies. This year
there are more independently produced films nominated than studio
films. Six of the ten. Same as 2010.

I'm not saying that I disagree with your post, I agree with you. Just
pointing out that independently produced movies do get nominated. But
the entire thing is irrelevant except as a trivia question in a few years
and big money for a few films for a few months.

Everyone watching tonight please take note of the amazing follow spot
work. Something few people ever notice. Your humble indietalk Guru
will be behind that light tonight.

Everyone watching tonight please take note of the amazing follow spot
work. Something few people ever notice. Your humble indietalk Guru
will be behind that light tonight.

That's awesome! Can you send us a signal? Put some sort of Indietalk gobo on for the briefest of moments?

Back