Are PCs really that bad for movie making?

That's what some have said on here. I was thinking of getting a PC as my next computer. I like it better than mac, cause it's much easier for me to organize everything on. But is there something really so terrible about it for movie making software?

My opinions might be different if I was a laptop user as well, but again, price per punch, I can't imagine doing serious production on a laptop. At the end of the day, my opinion is still the same: run what you like!

I've seriously considered getting a 17" MacBook Pro as a portable editing/video station. They're more than powerful enough. I know people that use those as their primary "desktop" system, hooking up to a full-sized monitor when at home.

My only issue with using a PC is (ironically) Apple software - with so many editors using Macs, Quicktime (ProRes and H264) has kind of become the defacto standard for editing and distribution. The PC's out-of-the-box codecs are CRAP and Quicktime is just bad on the PC. I've had major issues with gamma and audio sync using Quicktime H264/MP4 on the PC that just don't exist on the Mac side.

I've been toying with the idea of switching to Avid's DNxHD codec for editing but next to ProRes 4:2:2 it seems pretty lossy. If I had the choice (or rather, the money) I'd switch to a Mac for my editing purely because there seems to be less voodoo involved in getting the best output out of it.

LINUX Rocks for me...It's free and Im happy w/ it. I use Cinelerra for editing, it has composting, masking and color correction tools, can also insure your work is broadcast safe to boot. I use Audacity for sound and have many other sound programs available.

If I want to learn 3D I'll play w/ Blender. I have Synfig for 2D animation. Using Ubuntu I can render and convert to any format I want. I know Im a hack in this group. Im hoping Lightworks will eventually release a Linux version any day now.

My only issue with using a PC is (ironically) Apple software - with so many editors using Macs, Quicktime (ProRes and H264) has kind of become the defacto standard for editing and distribution. The PC's out-of-the-box codecs are CRAP and Quicktime is just bad on the PC. I've had major issues with gamma and audio sync using Quicktime H264/MP4 on the PC that just don't exist on the Mac side.

I've been toying with the idea of switching to Avid's DNxHD codec for editing but next to ProRes 4:2:2 it seems pretty lossy. If I had the choice (or rather, the money) I'd switch to a Mac for my editing purely because there seems to be less voodoo involved in getting the best output out of it.

I use VLC player for all playback with H.264 and have no synch issues ever.

ProRes 422 is now on the PC thanks to Adobe CS5.0-CS5.5 so it's finally on both.

The sync issues I come across are when exporting H264/MP4 through the Quicktime codec - playback is fine. As far as ProRes goes, you can download the codec separately from apple - you don't need CS5 to use it (I use it with Vegas).

Back