Are PCs really that bad for movie making?

That's what some have said on here. I was thinking of getting a PC as my next computer. I like it better than mac, cause it's much easier for me to organize everything on. But is there something really so terrible about it for movie making software?

Also note that Mac OS X is inherently more secure than even Windows 7. Far less worry about viruses and malware, and rock-solid unix underpinnings.

Windows has certainly improved since the XP days, but it's still a bit of a trainwreck when it comes to security.

Also note that Mac OS X is inherently more secure than even Windows 7. Far less worry about viruses and malware, and rock-solid unix underpinnings.

Windows has certainly improved since the XP days, but it's still a bit of a trainwreck when it comes to security.

Definitely not arguing against that, but the Mac is usually the first to fall at Pwn2Own (ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn2Own). System maintenance (regularly scheduled updating/patching) and security education will get you further. Or, as Alcove mentions, don't take the box you work with online!

i have both and i find macs to do editing and work on and pc's to play games or video chat with my family. Macs are simple but pc's give you more options to do different things.

PC's can make a great movie.

Mac's impress clients. When most clients come in and see two large monitors hooked to a Mac Pro, therr's usually a lot of "whoaaa" with a little jaw-dropping. Makes people feel like they're getting way more than they pay for.

But you, on your own personal projects, use whatever you want. Just make sure it has lots of fast harddrive space.

Yes I will be using an external hard drive mostly to store the data I am not currently using.

OP. man, you re just dropping money on gear haha making me feel bad to spend all my budget on food for my crew, and not on my gear :)

I have went over my budget and need to take some steps back and stop spending. The new computer will probably be the last of it hopefully.

agreed. Keep the web off of it. Slows everything down, doesnt matter what firewall you got insitalled on it. plus doesnt distract you.

Awe, so I can't even use internet? That's the only thing I want on it besides my movie making programs.

The real issue with PCs is bugs with Windows. Windows XP is one of the best versions, but does not support memory over 2 Gigs of RAM that you need for HD and does not support HD.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 does. Windows Vista is bugged with HD video files with Windows Explorer specifically. You need Windows Explorer to manage your files.

Since I troubleshoot computers and software at my day job, I've narrowed down the issues.

Also, Sony Vegas Pro works much better without crashes when it is the only open window on your screen. The delay Vegas has to recover the Preview Screen when rendering creates a timing bug and freezes the software.

Sony Movie Studio, the downgraded version does not have this bug.

And, neither does Adobe Premiere.

Macs can have their "Out Of Memory" problems at times. I have my Imac G3 DV running the original Final Cut and Adobe Premiere.

Here's an example of Windows insanity: their font-renderer runs in kernal space instead of user space.

User space is sandboxed which means that a virus that attacks that vector can't really do anything to the system.

Kernal space code can do absolutely anything since it's running at the equivalent of "root". There is a recently-found flaw in the font rendering code and there are now viruses and malware that take advantage of that.

Here's the kicker: when Microsoft said they were putting font rendering into kernel space, a ton of security coders pointed out what a horrible idea that was. Microsoft came back with "we know better than you", put the font code in kernel space, and now it's a security problem.

Mac OS X isn't flawless, but from a technical perspective it is still far more secure than Windows.

Since Macs don't have NVidia cards these days, you don't get the CUDA acceleration of Premiere 5.5. I'm hoping they add Mac GPU support in the next version.

Other than that. Premiere 5.5 on my Mac has been a fantastic experience so far. (Me == Disgruntled Final Cut X user.)

You have one computer for your creative work and one computer for everything else. The 'net is what makes a computer vulnerable to outside assaults, so you isolate your work computer from the web.

And this is why I don't let my Windows systems on the internet. :) Mac, however, does just fine pulling double-duty. I have a single Mac Pro (12-core) as my master machine for just about everything, and this l'il 11" MacBook Air as a portable writing/internet device.

I use Firefox/Chrome with Adblock+ and have had no problems, ever.

(I run Windows 7 in a VM, but don't use it for browsing.)

This debate will never end, I really hate it when the question comes up.

Pick what you like or are familiar with, or take the plunge and choose the other. Really, you'll be fine.

This debate will never end, I really hate it when the question comes up.

Pick what you like or are familiar with, or take the plunge and choose the other. Really, you'll be fine.

There's nothing wrong with someone wanting to make an informed decision. I don't champion Mac because I'm some drooling fanboy. With the help of my therapist I haven't drooled in years.

What bugs me is when people say "Oh, they're the same, just pick what you're familiar with". That does not foster intelligent decision making.

Windows:
Pros:
* Runs more software. Important if you need Windows-only software like 3D Studio Max.
* Vastly wider choice of of hardware upgrades.
* Cheaper hardware available.​

Cons:
* Many more security flaws, zero-day exploits, malware, and viruses. Require running a virus/malware scanner which will eat up RAM and processor cycles, and also needs to be updated regularly. The NoScript add-on to Firefox is pretty much required, making web browsing that much more annoying.
* Overly-complex, badly-arranged control panel and system settings. I often have to resort to Google just to figure out where that setting I want to change is located.​

Mac:
Pros:
* Much more stable due to limited hardware (no extra drivers to hunt down, install and tweak).
* Better UI design. Windows 7 has closed the gap but is still brain-damaged in various areas.
* Far more secure from a technical standpoint.
* UNIX COMMAND LINE! (if you're into that sort of thing)
* Rock-solid, high-end hardware.
* Better built-in support for monitor calibration.
* Best tech support this side of the Milky Way.​

Cons:
* More expensive hardware. It's really, really good hardware, but costly.
* Less software available. Not much in the way of games, either.
* Apple has really let their Pro apps slide, including Final Cut X and the aging Logic Studio.
* No GPU support for Premiere.
* Much less available in the way of hardware upgrades.​

Computers are expensive. Always always always make the most informed decision you can before plunking down your hard-earned cash.

Actually, I carry a shank on me, at all times, just in case this debate breaks out and I have to shank a Mac-head!

Escher, when I'm in Seattle, I spend a lot of time around 4th & Lenora. Just giving you a fair warning.

Escher's response is very detailed, and that is good. My summation is a tad more simple.

For purposes of video editing, choosing between Mac and PC is like picking between six or one half-dozen of the other. Harmonica, half of a dozen is six, so I'm am saying that for this purpose, they are basically the same.

Here are the differences that matter.

Macs are expensive.

PCs have compatibility issues. This hardware doesn't work with that hardware. That hardware doesn't work with that software. Unless you are tech-savvy, you will have many headaches, and it will be less than half a year before your poorly-maintained PC is barely working.

And that is why I recommend harmonica get a Mac.

:D

Back