Apple Finally Releases new Laptops

hey directorik. Would you say the new change is much?

If you could get the new macbook pro 15 inch for $1899, or the macbook pro 15 inch prior to this new one for $1599. What would you do?

Ughh, I'm not a fan of the glossy look. Sure, the hardware on the inside is delicious but I prefer my MBP. I got the one before they added the gimmicky finger motions for scrolling through web pages, like two updates old.

....compared to what I just read, a dent is the least of your problems if you want to buy a new mac.

Has anyone else heard about how the new aluminum MacBooks have NO FIREWIRE PORTS OF ANY KIND??

Now, I know that when it comes to the technology, I can be behind the curve but with all due respect: WTF??

Here is where the article is: http://www.macobserver.com/article/2008/10/17.5.shtml

As of now, I am very happy with the PowerBook that I have, but everyone who owns a computer thinks about getting or saving up to get the new version. What would be the reasoning behind no firewire? In the article, Jobs explaination was: "Actually, all of the new HD camcorders of the past few years use USB 2."

....does anyone want to chime in on this? As I've said I am happy with what I have right now, however, this looks like a disregard for what the consumer wants/needs in a laptop. Why would I buy a new laptop if I couldn't use it with my camera? because I am not buying a new camera anytime soon. Is there new technology that I don't know about yet?

....maybe someone else has seen another article or heard something....?

-- spinner :cool:

I checked out the new macbooks at my college. I dont like them

- a little heavier
- glossy screen is like looking into a mirror... everything reflects off of it.
- Im not so much into the whole touch keypad.

I think im just going to save 300$ and buy the macbook pro generation before it.

....my problem is the no FireWire. UBS, from what I understood, was much slower and is the old technology...

USB 2.0 spikes faster but can be slowed by the processor, whereas firewire has a constant speed. Jobs messed up this time. I see them coming back.

Upon looking at the new laptops more closely, I agree.

Not the upgrade I'm looking for. Kinda like the "Air" which sure
looked cool and was really thin, it was missing things I actually
use all the time - like firewire.

I don't like Apples decision to move away from firewire. And that
macobserver article you posted, Spinner really burns me. Jobs
saying that new cameras use USB.2 and cost $500 is irrelevant
to all working professionals.

I use an $8,000 and firewire. I'm not changing to a $500 camera
so it's compatible with a new laptop.

The Air didn't sell well. It'l be interesting to see if these do.

If Apple silently drops Firewire from these models, it's a scary thing. Apple created Firewire, didn't they? I won't buy one if it didn't have FW400 and FW800. Luckily, my 17in Macbook Pro does so it's a keeper.

If future Macbooks have no FW, I'm looking for something different.

I don't like Apples decision to move away from firewire. And that
macobserver article you posted, Spinner really burns me. Jobs
saying that new cameras use USB.2 and cost $500 is irrelevant
to all working professionals.

I use an $8,000 and firewire. I'm not changing to a $500 camera
so it's compatible with a new laptop....

It burns me too :angry:

The very idea that I should have to buy an inferior camera just so that I can use an upgraded Mac that doesn't do what I need it to is ridiculous. I thought the idea was to stay ahead of technology, not to take steps back.

It would seem to me that Apple should know better. A big part of their consumer base is people who are in video and gaming. Its as if they don't care what their customers need or what they think. Why in the world would I use a $500 dollar consumer grade camera instead of my DVX? HD or no HD, it still is better than whatever I could get at Circuit City.

And the one thing Apple ought to consider: if the newer version computer doesn't do what I want, why should I buy it? Maybe I shouldn't. Maybe I should keep what I have because I sure don't see the benefit of the upgrade.

Maybe Jobs needs a nap.... :hmm:

I've checked, double checked, and then checked again just to be sure. The new Macbook Pro has a firewire 800 port. At least according to the specs on the Apple store. Am I missing something? Or was it just that it only had the one 800 port that was the problem?

I've checked, double checked, and then checked again just to be sure. The new Macbook Pro has a firewire 800 port. At least according to the specs on the Apple store. Am I missing something? Or was it just that it only had the one 800 port that was the problem?
The Pro, but not the regular. Usually all Macs have firewire.

Back