Anyone know any good indie/art house films?

Red Roses & Petrol is the last one I saw. Good movie about an Irish dysfunctional family. Don't see that too often ;p It has Malcolm McDowel in it.

I've been watching a lot of Guillermo del Toro's work lately. He's more arthouse than Indie, but he's the guy that directed Hellboy 2 and Pan's Labyrinth.
I recommend Pan's Lab if you haven't seen it yet, or the Orphanage. Both really visually stunning movies.

do you people know what art house is? i dont think little miss sunshine falls under that catagory...

hahahaah. noobs

do you people know what art house is? i dont think little miss sunshine falls under that catagory...

hahahaah. noobs

They said indie as well as art house so yeah Little Miss Sunshine counts. It's a great film regardless of whether you think it counts.

I watched a film called Eagle vs Shark last night, that was pretty good. It's a New Zealand made film starring Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords. If you like Little Miss Sunshine or Napoleon Dynamite you'll probably enjoy it.

Let the Right One In is a great film, a gothic horror fairy tale of vampires. It's set in Sweden and is in Swedish. The two main child actors do a really great job. I'm not sure if counts or not, but if Gulliermo del Torro counts then this must do.

They said indie as well as art house so yeah Little Miss Sunshine counts. It's a great film regardless of whether you think it counts.

I watched a film called Eagle vs Shark last night, that was pretty good. It's a New Zealand made film starring Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords. If you like Little Miss Sunshine or Napoleon Dynamite you'll probably enjoy it.

Let the Right One In is a great film, a gothic horror fairy tale of vampires. It's set in Sweden and is in Swedish. The two main child actors do a really great job. I'm not sure if counts or not, but if Gulliermo del Torro counts then this must do.

aww i love eagle vs shark! it's what i'd call a cute movie
and yeah i really wanted to see let the right one in when it came out, but it'd gone from the cinema by the time i wanted to see it..

Ouch.

Looks like that noob comment came back to kick you in the ass huh?

not quite. if we want to be technical about it...

he posted 'indie/art house' not 'indie or art house' which made me think he was looking for something that was both, not just one or the other. and i wasnt saying little miss sunshine isnt a good film, its just not what he is looking for. ( i think)

i'm okay with getting bashed because i bash other people sometimes (obvi). lets just be smart about it

Indie films I enjoyed recently (not sure about art house):

The Lives of Others
This is England
City of God
Once
Zwartboek
Sweet Sixteen
Inside I'm Dancing

aww i love eagle vs shark! it's what i'd call a cute movie
and yeah i really wanted to see let the right one in when it came out, but it'd gone from the cinema by the time i wanted to see it..
I managed to get to see let the right one in at a cinema for nothing, after general release. I do some work at a local theatre/art centre. They show lots of indie, art house and foreign films. It's worth seeing it on the big screen. But it's on DVD now so you can still see it.

not quite. if we want to be technical about it...

he posted 'indie/art house' not 'indie or art house' which made me think he was looking for something that was both, not just one or the other. and i wasnt saying little miss sunshine isnt a good film, its just not what he is looking for. ( i think)

i'm okay with getting bashed because i bash other people sometimes (obvi). lets just be smart about it

i'm a she actually.. and yeah i meant 'indie or arthouse' but thank you anyway

haha well i can recommend a few indie and/or arthouse films, miss florence. and we can just let kgasser2 decide for himself which are which ;)

wes anderson's rushmore
michel gondry's eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
sophia coppola's the virgin suicides
tamar hoffs' red roses and petrol
daniel barnz' phoebe in wonderland
david lynch's mullholland drive
cary fukunaga's sin nombre (or "nameless" - in spanish, english subtitles)
tarsem's the fall
darren aronofsky's requiem for a dream (haha you will never want to do drugs after viewing)

aaaaaaanddddd

bernardo bertolucci's the dreamers - but only if you are not offended by nakedness, because there is a great deal of it in this film...tasteful though.

enjoy!! :)

Back