• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

anybody tried the external LED lights for DSLRs?

im shooting my film later this year and in some locations lighting is a problem as there is no natural light and no power sockets etc. Ive seen these LED lights that clip onto the hot shoe of the camera, They are fairly cheap (depending on how many LEDS are on the unit) some have a diffuser some dont. Has anybody tried these out or are they not worth bothering with?

It all depends what you're shooting. I would only use them to embelish an existing lighting set-up. If the ligthing is important (which it always is) then I'd hire (or buy) a small generator for the lighting. You can get decent rates. At least that way you're not compromising before you even shoot a single frame. And believe me, you'll kick yourself later when you view it back...

Good Luck

Last edited:
And just a reminder, if you're using a flip screen on your camera, turn the brightness down to zero on it-so you have an accurate view of how the lighting actually looks-and aren't tricked by the viewscreen (I learned that the hard way) :)

First time on Indie talk in almost two months. Too busy. Saw your question, my two cents...

I love LED lighting. LEDs are a clean light (I still recommend doing a white balance). The more LED units in hand the better... LED work lights (are very cheap -- shop around) on tripods are the best. Cool to touch. Light weight. Low energy drain (most have their own batteries). Naturally diffusing due to small individual lights (numerous bulbs so more is better). Small units allow numerous fills. Large are perfect for backlighting, etc.I could go on an on about the pluses. Use scrims and reflectors or cheap white board or foil.

I use them a lot. Highly recommended. Take the time to set them up properly for the look you want. The best video cameras do not handle real life the way your eyes do. Hope this helps you out...

Last edited:
Did not realize you were referring to DSLR camera use -- only with LEDs. I take stills using a DSLR while filming. My main concern is digital footage look. Never had a problem with stills from a DSLR using LEDs.

The small LEDs work fine, but I wouldn't mount them on the camera - that produces a pretty unflattering light, unless you're specifically going for a paparazzi look. Just position them like you would any other lights - put them on stands, have someone hold them, if you have the really small ones you can stick them to a wall with putty or double-sided tape.

I've used LED lights and I like them. I mainly do interviews, and these work well for that purpose. They don't light up a scene as do the incandescent lights, but for what I do they work well. I've used the 500 and 160 led lights.

I've also supplemented natural light from a window (indirect, north window) with one of the Sima lights that are super cheap.

It Donned is right is stating that these need to me mounted on a stand. On the camera, these things are uncomfortably bright. I run tests using my wife as a model (she mainly puts up with it) and she has commented that even the little Sima lights are too bright if they are too close.

LED lights, like tungsten, fluorescent and HMI lights have their place. The two main factors that I am concerned with are cost and heat.

I've used LED lights and I like them. I mainly do interviews, and these work well for that purpose. They don't light up a scene as do the incandescent lights, but for what I do they work well. I've used the 500 and 160 led lights.

I've also supplemented natural light from a window (indirect, north window) with one of the Sima lights that are super cheap.

It Donned is right is stating that these need to me mounted on a stand. On the camera, these things are uncomfortably bright. I run tests using my wife as a model (she mainly puts up with it) and she has commented that even the little Sima lights are too bright if they are too close.

LED lights, like tungsten, fluorescent and HMI lights have their place. The two main factors that I am concerned with are cost and heat.

The Loews near me has a bunch of new LED bulbs. Still pricey. I checked the color temp and they were all 3000k.

I'm thinking daylight balanced would be more useful. Maybe I'll try mixing one of the 3000k types with a tungsten (3200k) and see if it's noticeable. I want to build a light with LED floodlights arranged in a pattern.

I was just about to post this exact same question when I saw yours. I too have been considering buying some but didn't know how they worked. With that said, I just went ahead and bought one on eBay so I can test it out.

Over on another site (whose name involves a specific camera model) LED is ALL they talk about. Nobody even discusses "hot lights" anymore. They are mostly using big panels of LEDS in traditional lighting configurations though. As noted, a single mounted on the camera isn't gonna get it done except for interviews and maybe doc work.

Exactly - as LEDs have become more common and inexpensive I think they are quickly becoming pretty standard for low-budget work. They aren't perfect, and there are things you can't quite duplicate (specifically really focused light), but the advantages tend to outweigh those concerns for indies. They draw almost no power - so you don't have to worry about blowing residential circuits all the time - and can often be run on batteries so you don't need generators on location. Little or no heat means your talent is more comfortable (less sweating also cuts down on makeup touch-ups), the lights are safer to handle by inexperienced crew, and there's less concern for accidentally tripping sprinklers or burning your location. They also tend to be far more rugged and reliable, even if they are flimsier materials-wise, simply because you don't have to worry about breaking & replacing bulbs. Daylight balanced without filtration is great, and we're starting to see more and more that can dial in various color temperatures as well.

We still use a mix of lights, but more and more we end up using LEDs first - primarily the Coollights 600 & 256 panels. When we need something smaller we use a Comer 1800 and have a bunch of the little Sima rechargeables for accent lights, etc.

LED are on their way. The color spectrum is still not there yet, but it's fast changing the way we light our film, tv, and photography. I've been in the market for a good solid LED lighting fixture for a few months now. Still a little pricey on some units. I'm thinking of the cinesoft led luminaires or the ledz, brute series.

I was doing my research, the LEDZ Brute series has a close color spectrum, close to the HMI, which makes me more comfortable with my future investment.

If anyone has any experience on these units, please do share. I would like to know how they are.

I use LEDs with my Canon T1i & T21 and my friends 5d. They work very well. For the price they are well worth it, and I'd recommed getting one. Like someone else mentioned, you don't have to just mount it from the cam either, you can get someone to hold it for you or attach it to a stand.

Best luck!

Back