• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Another music video to fight about!!

Hi all, I can finally show my second music video attempt. I had a blast, and I am relieved my camera is still intact, hahaha..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am9AmG5aQMM?hd=1

I thought it was a pretty solid execution I learned a lot and I have a lot of ideas for the future. Keep in mind the whole production fit in carry on luggage.. My only regret is that you can tell I was hesitant with hand held camera work.

cheers,
R

Last edited:
That was great!
(Needs more Miss American Flag in it, though.) ;)

EDIT: Ummm... f L ag. Goodness. However I can see you knew just what i meant, too.

Last edited:
So are they an actual band, or are they a group of partyin' 4-wheeler peeps with a theme song? :hmm:

Have some ideas & suggestions, if you can clarify what the event was.

So are they an actual band, or are they a group of partyin' 4-wheeler peeps with a theme song? :hmm:

Have some ideas & suggestions, if you can clarify what the event was.

They are an actual band, the vid is already released but insight is welcome. There is a lot I want to improve for next time for sure.

Post us links to at least three or five other big time producer rap videos you admire with obviously ridiculous budgets and we'll see what approaches/principles we can swipe.
(I haven't the slightest idea of what's what in the rap industry, otherwise...)

I'm a firm believer in templating and work-arounds.

That was great!
(Needs more Miss American Flag in it, though.) ;)

Agreed. :D

Nicely done, Rob B. Is that you calling "cut" at the end of the vid?

Though, this one doesn't match the energy of your first one, and it's not just cuz of Ol' Glory. There are two shots that are featured prominently in this video that just feel stagnant. The two dudes in the forest, one of them sitting in the off-road-buggy-thingy. Also, the extra-wide shot, with all the people standing in the river, with our two performers up front. There's just nothing going on in those shots.

Except, at something like the 1:30 mark, Miss American Flag stumbles as she jumps into the river; oops, kind of distracting.

Other than those two particular shots, this is nicely shot, and well edited. Cheers.

:D

It was good. Not as good as the last one but I think that's 90% as a result of the fact that the previous song was better (and Miss AF)...

I know you've released it so it's pointless suggesting changes but: At the end you have the guys singing one thing and the text popping up is saying a slightly different thing. It's a bit like trying to pat your head and rub your belly, they should probably just say the same thing. I would also suggest some sort of camera movement when the two guys are just sitting/standing by the dune buggy thing. It would be absolutely fine but the shots are a little too long and static.

But given that you've already released it consider it advice for next time.

Not that you particularly need it ;)

Okay doke. Here we go...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTV_Video_Music_Award_for_Best_Rap_Video

2006 Chamillionaire (featuring Krayzie Bone) — "Ridin'"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtwJvgPJ9xw
Umm... looks a fair bit like what you brought to the table. I dunno. (I dunno WHY this won best video!)
- Have cops chasing your "shiner" boys? (In principle, of course. Yours is in the bag/can, so to speak).
- Put some rolling track and crane shots in?

"This award was last given out in 2006, as MTV did not bring it back in 2008 like it did with other genre awards. Instead, artists and videos that were previously eligible for Best Rap Video are now eligible for Best Hip-Hop Video."

Alrighty, then...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTV_Video_Music_Award_for_Best_Hip-Hop_Video

2008 Lil Wayne (featuring Static Major) — "Lollipop"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IH8tNQAzSs
- Dolly shots
- Don't be bashful: Get the"Honeys" in there. Big trucks and big... tits. We love 'em both in the South.
- Consider including brief portrait shots of individual instrument payers IN ADDITION to the the two primary rappers. I'd especially do this for solo/bridge pieces.
- Dress up your Bandits in jest. They seem to have one helluva good ol' boy sense of humor.
- Git dem Bandit boys on top of their trucks! The band, too!
- It would appear that a "shining" song accompanied by a "mudding" video was incongruous.
- use some more fisheye lens work
- Have their "shine" attract the honeys. Boys will be boys. (Again, in principle).
- Throw in some friendly competition between the two lead rappers and general horsing around.
- Make them into redneck legends or gods.

2009 Eminem — "We Made You"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSdKmX2BH7o
- Dolly, track, pan and zoom
- Again: humor, if not plain mockery via parody, is cool.
- There's just a few spots of B&W in this one, but prior to this I was thinking, if production budget allows, if the Moonshine Bandits wanted to do a retro B&W, origins of NASCAR (which is shine running, BTW) that would be cool. Put 'em in a bouncy car in front of a green screen. Could be fun.
- Back to the humor thing, there's a moment of some chick singing with Enema-em's voice singing. See if the guys wanna try that in their next vid.

2010 Eminem — "Not Afraid"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5-yKhDd64s
- Find some rockin' scenery. I don't know where you guys like to go shooting, but find/scout something "dramatic".
- I see some widescreen lens distortion in there. What'sat? About a 0.40X fisheye @ 0:41?
- Some up-angles.
- Suggest a (nebulous) story. Don't gotta spoon feed it.
(As an aside, doesn't aiming your camera into direct sunlight destroy the sensor? Or was that effect amplified in post along with all the SFX, which I don't think your guys are up for to this extent?)

Goodness. 233M views. That was cr@p. Whatever.

Alright.
I hope this was good for something.
Fun and a smidgen of enlightenment for me.
GL!

Last edited:
Love the feedback!.. yeah, a couple of stagnant shots is exactly it. Fug.... I could have easily swapped out better shots, damn.. I really found myself trying to 'fit it all' in the frame. I also really regret not having my dolly, but I could not find the parts to recreate it after I landed.

Agreed. :D

Nicely done, Rob B. Is that you calling "cut" at the end of the vid?

Though, this one doesn't match the energy of your first one, and it's not just cuz of Ol' Glory. There are two shots that are featured prominently in this video that just feel stagnant. The two dudes in the forest, one of them sitting in the off-road-buggy-thingy. Also, the extra-wide shot, with all the people standing in the river, with our two performers up front. There's just nothing going on in those shots.

Except, at something like the 1:30 mark, Miss American Flag stumbles as she jumps into the river; oops, kind of distracting.

Other than those two particular shots, this is nicely shot, and well edited. Cheers.

The guy calling cut, is a huge supporter and friend in Texas.. he basically fed and housed a dozen people for 4 days.

I totally agree with your feedback, wished I bounced it off you guys in the Premier lounge.. I was very worried about people seeing it, as a lot were looking for it.

:D

It was good. Not as good as the last one but I think that's 90% as a result of the fact that the previous song was better (and Miss AF)...

I know you've released it so it's pointless suggesting changes but: At the end you have the guys singing one thing and the text popping up is saying a slightly different thing. It's a bit like trying to pat your head and rub your belly, they should probably just say the same thing. I would also suggest some sort of camera movement when the two guys are just sitting/standing by the dune buggy thing. It would be absolutely fine but the shots are a little too long and static.

But given that you've already released it consider it advice for next time.

Not that you particularly need it ;)

Well taken!.. Def movement, I'm so pissed I didn't man up with the hand held action. I like your insight on the text. .. I was diggin the 'drunken' connection, but your point is taken, it probably could be a bit more tuned.

Okay doke. Here we go...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTV_Video_Music_Award_for_Best_Rap_Video

2006 Chamillionaire (featuring Krayzie Bone) — "Ridin'"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtwJvgPJ9xw
Umm... looks a fair bit like what you brought to the table. I dunno. (I dunno WHY this won best video!)
- Have cops chasing your "shiner" boys? (In principle, of course. Yours is in the bag/can, so to speak).
- Put some rolling track and crane shots in?

"This award was last given out in 2006, as MTV did not bring it back in 2008 like it did with other genre awards. Instead, artists and videos that were previously eligible for Best Rap Video are now eligible for Best Hip-Hop Video."

Alrighty, then...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTV_Video_Music_Award_for_Best_Hip-Hop_Video

2008 Lil Wayne (featuring Static Major) — "Lollipop"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IH8tNQAzSs
- Dolly shots
- Don't be bashful: Get the"Honeys" in there. Big trucks and big... tits. We love 'em both in the South.
- Consider including brief portrait shots of individual instrument payers IN ADDITION to the the two primary rappers. I'd especially do this for solo/bridge pieces.
- Dress up your Bandits in jest. They seem to have one helluva good ol' boy sense of humor.
- Git dem Bandit boys on top of their trucks! The band, too!
- It would appear that a "shining" song accompanied by a "mudding" video was incongruous.
- use some more fisheye lens work
- Have their "shine" attract the honeys. Boys will be boys. (Again, in principle).
- Throw in some friendly competition between the two lead rappers and general horsing around.
- Make them into redneck legends or gods.

2009 Eminem — "We Made You"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSdKmX2BH7o
- Dolly, track, pan and zoom
- Again: humor, if not plain mockery via parody, is cool.
- There's just a few spots of B&W in this one, but prior to this I was thinking, if production budget allows, if the Moonshine Bandits wanted to do a retro B&W, origins of NASCAR (which is shine running, BTW) that would be cool. Put 'em in a bouncy car in front of a green screen. Could be fun.
- Back to the humor thing, there's a moment of some chick singing with Enema-em's voice singing. See if the guys wanna try that in their next vid.

2010 Eminem — "Not Afraid"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5-yKhDd64s
- Find some rockin' scenery. I don't know where you guys like to go shooting, but find/scout something "dramatic".
- I see some widescreen lens distortion in there. What'sat? About a 0.40X fisheye @ 0:41?
- Some up-angles.
- Suggest a (nebulous) story. Don't gotta spoon feed it.
(As an aside, doesn't aiming your camera into direct sunlight destroy the sensor? Or was that effect amplified in post along with all the SFX, which I don't think your guys are up for to this extent?)

Goodness. 233M views. That was cr@p. Whatever.

Alright.
I hope this was good for something.
Fun and a smidgen of enlightenment for me.
GL!

Dig them all, I watched a lot of vids trying to find angles.. I did not plan well enough for being out in the swamp.. Most rap vids have a lot of swoop? hahah.. (new camera term).. and I barely had any as I was deathly afraid to drop the camera in the mud..

Hmm... Can't suggest much with the content of that first video. Looks like you already have the skilzNtools to do that.

The Enema-em video has that suggested story thing i was yabbering about.
Also some back-lit sky/sun with some significant reflector work.
Gotta like playing with fire. I don't know why, but humans are still fascinated by sh!t burning and exploding.

Do the Moonshine Bandits like burning stuff, too? :yes::no::lol:

Dig them all, I watched a lot of vids trying to find angles.. I did not plan well enough for being out in the swamp.. Most rap vids have a lot of swoop? hahah.. (new camera term).. and I barely had any as I was deathly afraid to drop the camera in the mud..
Good to hear. The education never ends.
Hey, now. Surely someone had a mud rigger to bring a few boxes of stuff out there for you. :)
Swoop? Define, please.
Yeah, I was wondering about how you were handling the mud situation. It scared me, too. Get a waterproof bag next time?

Last edited:
I concur with the comments about the two stagnent shots, but other than that, I loved this video!!! i wish I could have been on set for that one, looked like one hell of a good time!!! Keep bumping out them video's, they'll just get better and better!!!

I like this song better than the first one too, a little strange at first, but I think these guys got something!

Question for Rob and Phil..

You two seem to be dialed into the making music vids.. can a guy like me hook up with a band or two and just make a few bucks, you know nothing big, but just some scratch (200->500) range?

Back