• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

American accent software?

Im from England, London and was wondering if there is any software which allows me to input my voice accent to output an American one. Similar to the "VC voice changer" software however with accents rather than deeper or higher voice(s). (It's for a video im making and I cant do american accents) thanks.

I know of singing software, but nothing that would change your accent, without spewing out a totally different voice. I'm sure that on this board, one of the many Americans will be happy to lend some words and send you an MP3. What kind of project are you doing?

I know of singing software, but nothing that would change your accent, without spewing out a totally different voice. I'm sure that on this board, one of the many Americans will be happy to lend some words and send you an MP3. What kind of project are you doing?

Animation, problem is my accent is pure london but its set in America and my voice overs aren't brilliant. Especially as it's set in Alaska lol. (which is a US state).

I doubt seriously that there is such a puppy that 1) you could afford (maybe the CIA and MI5 have something like that), and 2) would outweigh the simpler option of Scoop's suggestion of asking an American to record for you.

I doubt seriously that there is such a puppy that 1) you could afford (maybe the CIA and MI5 have something like that), and 2) would outweigh the simpler option of Scoop's suggestion of asking an American to record for you.

Ah I guess asking an American with the accent I want (Childish) would probably do it. Problem is him not being next to me so I can get the voice perfect with the mouth movements.

Ah I guess asking an American with the accent I want (Childish) would probably do it. Problem is him not being next to me so I can get the voice perfect with the mouth movements.

Well, as I understand it, you can go voice first and then animate the lip-sync afterward.

If the animation is already done and you're adding sound, music and voice after the fact, then yeah, it'll be more difficult I suppose. The reader will have to have a copy of the video in front of him/her as they work. In order to create a lip-sync, you'd have to break down each vowel and consonant in a sound program wave-form and match it exactly to the lip movements.

Anyone know more about adding voice afterward in an animation?

I think your best bet, if you can't find anyone in England that can do an American accent, is to do a collaboration with a college student at an American university. If your animation is solid, you shouldn't have difficulty finding somebody.

Thing is, though, I was under the impression that the average Brittish actor found it quite easy to do American. Am I wrong? I think you should try to network with local college actors, first.

Finally, though I've never done animation, I believe it can work either way -- you can do audio first, then match animation, but I think the norm is to do animation first, and match audio.

Welcome to indietalk, Commanda.

I would be very surprised if there wasn’t an American living in
London somewhere who would do this for you. Throw in a few
pounds as an incentive - maybe provide a meal. At the very least
Cracker's suggestion would work. Many actors in England study
the various American dialects.

Im from England, London and was wondering if there is any software which allows me to input my voice accent to output an American one. Similar to the "VC voice changer" software however with accents rather than deeper or higher voice(s). (It's for a video im making and I cant do american accents) thanks.

I have a feeling the program you are looking for doesn't exist. That is, unless you want Stephen Hawkings in your animation, then you can record it really easy :)

Seriously, though. Just find an american or someone who can do a (good) american accent.

There are many Americans in Britain and several are involved with the film industry. Unfortunately, some that I know have not maintained their old email addresses. Still, it shouldn't be hard to find some. There are probably clubs that they frequent or just inquiries to fellow filmmakers you know.

Wanna find an American? Go to a sports bar, while Sunday NFL football is on TV. We Americans love some football. Real football. Not the silly kind in which you actually use your foot to control the ball. ;)

Wanna find an American? Go to a sports bar, while Sunday NFL football is on TV. We Americans love some football. Real football. Not the silly kind in which you actually use your foot to control the ball. ;)

This is true. There is a Packers bar somewhat near my place, I had never noticed it. But I was out with a friend who is from Wisconsin and she took me there. It was like I stepped into fucking Fond du Lac or something. Everyone there was from Wisconsin and dressed like it and talked like it. It was completely 'twilight zone.'

So, yes, if you can find an American bar, that would be a great place. Also, there are always lots of tourists in London, right? They might be more keen than an american football 'macho' man :P

Alright cheers for the replies, yeah it probably doesn't exist I know there is software such as VC voice changer but its useless for Young American accents. Secondly my acting is terrible lol, I burst out laughing when on camera, Im more of a creative, script-writer guy with wacky ideas. Im starting another animation course in November at a professional college (hoping to eventually emigrate) and will ask around there.

Im trying my best to do most of it by myself lol and only being 18 I'm not very wise nor do I work Im still a student just with big ambitions. Cheers for the support though but I think Im going to wait a little while, plus the script isn't fully wrote out. I'm still planning, wrote about 4 pages.

Im trying my best to do most of it by myself lol and only being 18 I'm not very wise nor do I work Im still a student just with big ambitions. Cheers for the support though but I think Im going to wait a little while, plus the script isn't fully wrote out. I'm still planning, wrote about 4 pages.

Bullocks! I don't think you should wait, at all. Perhaps you don't contact the potential voice-talent until you've got some animation to show for, but being 18 and jobless shouldn't stop you from moving forward with your filmmaking plans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6ALySsPXt0

Back