Amateur to pro look...

So I have a cast, crew, DP, kit, locations, editor (who may just be winning a prize in a major film festival) and everyone has been rehearsed and prepared. Oh, and a screenplay.

Sound is a weakness but it is covered as well as I can in the time available.

However, the thing I wonder about is one fundamental - getting a 'professional' look. Sure, I don't have a Red or anything like that but was wondering if anyone out there had any tips for getting a professional looking shot. Or rather, the question I would ask is do you have a single bugbear, something that when you look at an 'amateurish' short you think to yourself - 'not another amateur who should have done x.' Or 'if only they'd done x, the shots would have looked professional.'

What would 'x' be for you?

Screenplay & story aside: Blocking + aperture control.

Simply not placing the camera in a series of 90° gun sight targets goes a long way.
Composition within the frame is what my eye tends to linger upon.
Autofucus or aperture never opening up below f8 kinda evokes the "blah" in me, too.

Last edited:
So I have a cast, crew, DP, kit, locations, editor (who may just be winning a prize in a major film festival) and everyone has been rehearsed and prepared. Oh, and a screenplay.

What would 'x' be for you?

Locations.

Get interesting ones, fix most of your cinematography problems from the get go.

Lighting, camera, etc, all of that really doesn't matter at your level. You get good locations and good sound, most of your look is pretty much solved. Other than that, focus on creating interesting shots and learning how to compose.

I'll throw in a vote for production design.

I think a lot of indie films, especially shorts, don't start working on the production design until a couple of weeks before the shoot. It does depend on the complexity of your script (and as Kholi mentions, the locations) but it's essential that you make sure all the detail is authentic. A lot of indie films look kind of empty and and alien and, to me, that looks amateurish. The devil is in the detail.

From the DV Rebel's Guide, by Stu Maschwitz - who is a former ILM effects artist and creator of Magic Bullet software:

There is a common feeling that high resolution means high quality. In fact, the movie that you make with your DV camera will be shown on the same DVD player and the same TV as a major Hollywood production.

there is no difference between real production value and the illusion of production value. In other words, production value is one of those "perception is reality" things - if the movie feels big to the audience, then it is big.

Image Quality - 24P will yield cinematic motion. For Color Correction, you can use Magic Bullet Looks in After Effects, using 16 bit (or higher) color setting. This will result in a better picture than one that was color corrected in 8 bit from a timeline (Premiere, Final Cut, Vegas, etc.).

Another planet's sky, Color Corrected with Magic Bullet:

35228_10150220109110494_603930493_13674609_3040619_n.jpg

Dynamic Range of the image - Avoid blown out skies (use a Polarizer filter to get blue skies and for cutting through reflections when shooting through windshields and other glass). For blown out windows, tape Nuetral Density filter gel over them. Blow outs are the first sign of lower end video quality, versus non-film, expensive formats.

No supplemental lighting used, just ND Filter taped to window:

MikeandLara.jpg

Depth of Field - generally you want Shallow Focus for a cinematic look. This can be done with DSLR type lenses or a few tricks with your fixed lens camera - use Wide Aperature (use camera's ND filters to cut light and allow you to open the iris wide). You can achieve shallow focus by zooming in or even by using an After Effects Blur filter on non-subject areas (obviously works better for static or simple matte shots).

Zoomed in shallow focus:

Laralistening.jpg

Sound Quality - Get as much dialogue as you can with a close mic (shotgun or quality wireless). Plan on Dubbing when necessary (recording actors talking on a speedboat, in a convertible, in wind, etc.) The key to editing good sound is separation of dialogue from background elements. You want to be able to cut from one character to another without the background ambience changing or jumping. The ambience should have its own track. This means constantly monitoring (good headphones on set) of buzzy lights, refridgerators, air conditioners, line hum, wind, traffic, anything that interferes with dialogue. Sound effects like footsteps, doors shutting, switches, etc. are usually better when foleyed.

Locations - Even if you don't pay for it, a restaurant, office, park, etc. says budget.

Lighting - Use gobos, blinds, tree branches and other foreground objects to break up the light. Use colored filters to break up some images - blue, yellow, red, but go easy on the saturation, unless the scene calls for something else. In bright sunlight, you can diffuse it with fabric (like a sheet) placed between your actors and the sun. Look at what the light source is supposed to be for each scene and try to motivate your lighting with the source (sun, moon, tungsten, flourescent lamps, etc.). Also, a fog machine will help if you want to show "shafts of light."

A 1K light with blue gel to simulate moonlight:

247980_10150641632400494_603930493_19096559_6592992_n.jpg

Atmosphere/Effects - this can be something as simple as rain (using a hose/sprayer on car windows) or wetting down streets for that fancy night reflection.

Stage Fog to simulate...fog:

EXILEKinnisfog.jpg

Camera movement - get a fluid head tripod so you can get smooth pans and tilts. Plan at least 10 tracking or dolly shots for your movie, even if it means using a car with some air let out of the tires. You can rent a Genie Lift or Cherry Picker (for one day) for that opening shot where the camera comes down from the trees and to the front door of a character's house. You can also get the closing shot the same day you rent the lift. Remember the audience first impression of your movie will be that fancy intro shot; after that they should be into the story/characters and not thinking about the camera. Moving camera done smoothly looks like money.

Music - It goes without saying that a good score can work wonders, eliciting emotion from scenes that might not have been as effective, without it. From your past posts, I think you have this covered!

Do what you know you can do well. Don't overreach. If a set doesn't look convincing, write it out, or solve it with lighting (shadows). If you can't pull off a CGI effect convincingly, don't do it. Remember that Point Of View can solve a lot of things. If your actors can't pull off a realistic fight, perhaps you should show a child (or other witness) covering their ears, while the people fighting are in the background, which is mostly obscured. Same with a car wreck or anything else difficult to pull off. If you can't show a wrecked car, zoom in to the actor's head on the steering wheel, while a fog machine blows "smoke" in the foreground.

Last edited:
Great stuff!

If I have to pick one overlooked visual thing, I too vote production design. Good locations, props, costumes and lighting that all compliment each other with color, quality and style.

Since so many low-budget stuff is shot in normal houses instead of decorated sets, avoid clutter (like magazines, newspapers, DVDs, remotes, laundry, etc). Also watch out for the family dog/cat wandering through the frame (which I've seen in numerous indie shorts). Unless it has to be in the frame for a reason, move it out of the way.

It's a lot of work, but it pays off when your audience is focusing on your actor instead of the overflowing laundry basket or the big box of Cheez-Its in the background.

Scoopicman I'm putting that post on my stickies for my next short production!

Gorrillaonabike if you heed all of those 'x's by scoopicman you shouldn't go far wrong.

Good stuff!

Lighting. Use at least 2 of the common "3 point lighting" angles in every shot.

And for Dog's sake, don't buy professional lighting gear, get your stuff at Home Depot.

LIGHT like a professional doesn't mean BUY like a professional.

------------------------------

Here's my review of this book published elsewhere:

THE DV REBEL'S GUIDE
Stu Maschwitz, 2007. ISBN: 0-321-41364-4

RATING: C

When I saw this at the bookstore, I thought I'd found the Holy Grail. It had a cool title, it looked cool and I liked the layout. Never judge a book by its cover they say . . . this book is why. Wow, what a letdown. The material is okay, but thin. Utterly unfulfilling. This thing was $44.99. I suppose the gimmick to get me to buy the book worked though.

Thanks to those of you who responded about about my earlier post. :)

I'm going to make my way to Nevada one day and I'm bringing potato salad. It may have spoiled on the plane, but I'll give folks a heads up. :cool:

If you come to the 2012 IndieMeet, we'll feed you. :yes: I've been trying to convince Mick (2001 Productions) to attend as well.

I'm sure I'll wind up in your area soon scoopic. I am the king of the Southwest. My last film got in no festivals in the southeast (where I live) and a half dozen festivals in the southwest including two in Nevada.

Back