• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

amateur in everything in real life seeking help.

happy new year people! :D

can anyone help me with my infinite querries? and maybe work with me on some scripts? i wanna start writing (again) but i lack the basic knowledge about everything: politics, sociology, law, psychology, you name it. i tried wikipedia but it was confusing. (if only there was a website with user friendly interface that helped scriptwriters...*sigh*)

for example, i have the very basic concept for a politics-war script, but when it comes to writing the details, i'm lost. any ideas? (it's not only helping a fellow scriptwriter, it's also helping a human being.) :blush:

So, you think that james cameroon ..spielberg ... nolan are all good in science?

(if good then why science fiction?? ;) )

just kidding.

Their movies are rated best based on philosophical contents.

Transformers fail to hold what these guys do.
It's truly not perfection in scientific terms.

I love michio kau style of story telling .
love to see this done into movie,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfmsqosEDF4

Now , imagine I write.. about gun.. i never used gun.. i don't even know anything about guns.

I use stereotyped assumption and genere verb and pronoun to finish the term and sentence.

short guns got something called cartridge which get filled with bullets.
somne say 15 and some say 20 bullets at time.
I will get that info on web.
but , not sure i get info about what they say to fill/unfill the cartridge.

i write.
John gets cartridge out of gun.
plucks out all bullets out of cartridge leaving only two to remain.

It is left up to director to imagine the word pluck mean there.

I'm sure they are matured to understand it.

so what do you advise me to do? :)
Start small.
Work your way up to geopolitical economic/idiological warfare.

What do you know about?
Then pick a genre you can craft a story around.
Then write a story about what you do know about in that genre.

Crime & drama are popular.
Horror can be tricky.
Comedy is not easy.
Probably ought to not pursue fantasy or SciFi.

I don't know anything about you, Nikki, but, assuming you're 18 years old and just graduated from high school or the equivalent, I would recommend the following:

1) Get a degree or diploma in the social sciences, perhaps with elective courses in film-making and screen-writing.
2) If you don't want that, then take part-time courses to get a feel for them. At the same time, learn to do the essays and also learn to get the research skills that come from doing those essays.
3) Make contacts with the professors and/or researchers in the field, so you can get feedback - but, before you really talk to them in any great detail, you should take those courses I mentioned, so you know what you're talking about.

You should adapt what I said according to your circumstance, but, if I were to give a guide, you should take a one-year introductory course and a one-year intermediate course in each of history, economics, and political science/international relations - that's the bare minimum, and, after that, you can decide how you want to proceed. Good luck, and tell us how it goes.

Last edited:
I love michio kau style of story telling .
love to see this done into movie,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfmsqosEDF4

This IS a movie, starring Ethan Hawke. It's called Predistination. It's not bad. I didn't know the storyline before I watched it, and thought it was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FcK_UiVV40

I would just start writing. then I would take a break for a week. I'd come back after a week and read what I wrote, and I would discover it's the worst thing under the sun (May not be the case for you, but is invariably the case for me). Then I would start re-writing. Then I would repeat the process.

Last edited:
You live in a country that was run by Colonels just before you were born.
Are you born a Greek?
Don't they teach history?
Don't you have a grandpa who can tell you how they could seize power?

You live in a country that was run by Colonels just before you were born.
Are you born a Greek?
Don't they teach history?
Don't you have a grandpa who can tell you how they could seize power?

yeah, i'm greek but i wasn't paying attention in history class. :lol: we had dictatorship until 1974, but i don't know if it's the same as other dictatorships when it comes to details. for example, (correct me if i'm wrong) Hitler built a great army while our dictator killed our own people who resisted. unfortunately my grandpas are dead, so i guess i will ask other people. and google as well. :)

I wanna start writing (again) but i lack the basic knowledge about everything: politics, sociology, law, psychology, you name it.

I don't believe you, in fact I believe you are probably somewhat of an expert! I believe you think you know little about these subjects and I'm perfectly willing to believe you have little formal education in these subjects but I don't believe you lack any basic knowledge. Few countries have undergone as serious a socio-political upheaval in recent years as Greece and unlike most professional political analysts and experts from other countries, you know what it's like to actually experience and live through it on a long term daily basis! Unless you are saying that neither you nor any of your friends/family have been affected professionally or emotionally in anyway by what has/is occurring politically in Greece?

Relating this to what Directorik and others have said, write about the characters and what you know. And what you know is how you personally have and are being affected, what you feel about what is happening around you and how your everyday actions, interactions, decisions and longer term aspirations are being influenced. In this respect, no one is or could ever be a greater expert on politics, sociology, psychology, etc., than you! Use that experience/knowledge to build your characters and then fill in the background details from a combination of your imagination and research, using one or more of the methods others have explained.

G

of course i experience all the bad things that happen here, but it's still not enough. i have never shown the slightest interest in politics, yet now i'm ready to dive into deep waters and learn everything about it. i know some very basics, and almost every greek knows what's the deal with our country's crap. it's just me, as a single person, that i don't know anything about politics. not educated enough because never gave a damn. :D

and my script is about building an evil army ran by someone with power, like a dictator or something. i can't be inspired by the things i experience nowadays, because now we have "democracy". the dictatorship ended in 1974, so the only way to find out is to start digging. :D

You're finding every excuse (sorry) reason why you can't write this. When
you find the reasons you CAN write you will write.

Writing is scary isn't it?

of course i experience all the bad things that happen here, but it's still not enough. i have never shown the slightest interest in politics, yet now i'm ready to dive into deep waters and learn everything about it. i know some very basics, and almost every greek knows what's the deal with our country's crap. it's just me, as a single person, that i don't know anything about politics. not educated enough because never gave a damn. :D

and my script is about building an evil army ran by someone with power, like a dictator or something. i can't be inspired by the things i experience nowadays, because now we have "democracy". the dictatorship ended in 1974, so the only way to find out is to start digging. :D

If you have no interest in politics, then don't write about politics. If you want to write about building an evil army run by a dictator in power, then read history, like the history of the Third Reich or the building of the Imperial Japanese Army before WWII - that would be history, not politics.

yep, directorik you're right. writing is scary. :lol: and i'm writing so i can please both the audience and myself. i wanna participate in everything, (script, directing, etc.) and also i could sure use some help with the script, so if anyone is interested in this project let me know. ;) :)

I have (several times) told you I'm interested in helping you with
the script. But you need to write something before I can help with
the script. I can't write for you but I can help once you have written.

Back