Altnernative to the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens (WITH IS)?

Does anyone know of a good alternative to the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens that has IS?

This lens is discontinued and its replacement is much more expensive (and isn't out yet). Plus, taking video handheld is really tricky without IS, so I'd rather get a lens that has IS.

Thanks.

I have this lens. Great quality(image and hardware, although a bit on the heavy side), but the lack of IS kills me when i shoot video with it. Even for someone like myself who has quite steady hands holding the camera, this lens is VERY sensitive and there is a good amount of shakiness that seems inevitable when taking video handheld with this lens.

That stinks. Especially when much cheaper lenses have IS. How hard is it to include it? Even when taking photos handheld, it makes a worlds difference. Canon irks me sometimes...

If you are talking about the most similar Canon lens to that, it would be the 24-105. Each have their trade offs in aperture and range but they are the closest to each other in terms of quality and features.

The Tamron doesn't look near as good as the Canon. Every Tamron lens i've used I ended up regretting, even their more expensive ones.

Sigma has a similar focal length, 28-75mm. It will look better than the Tamron, but not as good as the Canon. Not sure about stabilization, but you shouldn't really need stabilization until you get closer to 100mm and then everything past that. Even at the long 70mm end, internal lens gyro stabilization is a little pointless.

The Tamron doesn't look near as good as the Canon. Every Tamron lens i've used I ended up regretting, even their more expensive ones.

Sigma has a similar focal length, 28-75mm. It will look better than the Tamron, but not as good as the Canon. Not sure about stabilization, but you shouldn't really need stabilization until you get closer to 100mm and then everything past that. Even at the long 70mm end, internal lens gyro stabilization is a little pointless.

Have you tried that lens on a full frame Canon? I ask because I haven't. My comparison is based on the printed specs. I have found Tamrons to be pretty hit or miss. On my older Minolta 35mm film gear I've used Tamron lenses with good results, but I've only had their top line glass. I do like the couple of Sigma lenses that I have for my 5D.

Back