distribution Alternatives to iTunes and Amazon Video Direct?

I'm looking for an alternative online movie viewing service besides iTunes and Amazon Video Direct. Is there a small independent site that pays you revenue per stream?

The only thing I'm aware of - which isn't small - would be Vimeo on Demand. I put my second feature (DETOURS) on there as well as on Amazon Prime because it allows viewership anywhere in the world.
Does Vimeo have a "set up fee" or anything like that? Can you add a title by yourself or do you have to go through a distributor of sorts? And do they pay based on minutes streamed?

There isn't a set-up fee, but you need a sufficiently large Vimeo plan to accommodate your project(s).

I had to upgrade to their Pro plan, which is $240/year. You do it yourself, and set your own price. You get 90% of what the viewer pays.

There isn't a set-up fee, but you need a sufficiently large Vimeo plan to accommodate your project(s).

I had to upgrade to their Pro plan, which is $240/year. You do it yourself, and set your own price. You get 90% of what the viewer pays.
Wow that's a hefty setup fee. What do viewers pay?
I find it hard to believe that Vimeo draws more traffic than Amazon. Amazon Video Direct only pays like 10 cents per 90 minute movie view. So if I had to pay a $240 fee with Amazon then it would take about 2,400 views per year just to break even!

You decide what viewers pay. I set the price low - 99 cents - figuring that's a reasonable amount for people to pay to watch a low budget indie.

I definitely get more viewers from Amazon, but Vimeo doesn't have geographic limitations the way Amazon does.

I think I'm going to try posting my movie in 5 parts on YouTube with ads (which amount to peanuts) but also with a Patreon donation link that I mention at the end of each video. No $240 annual fee. I'll bet that in the end I might do better that way.

I've had some moderate success on YouTube. I make around $2000 a year total on my channel. In 2018, I made $600 on one feature film alone (which only cost $2000 to make and has made back it's budget four-fold). As a bonus, having a monetized YouTube channel (which costs me nothing) allows me to write off all my gear as well as production costs when I make a short or feature film.

My channel has almost 3,000,000 views. youtube.com/eldirectorvision
Wow that's about 2.2 mil more than me! Survival shows like Man VS Wild, Dual Survival, Survivorman, Naked & Afraid are a popular niche. Also shows about living off the grid, making moonshine in the woods, looking for ginseng or mushrooms in the woods, etc.

Why did you have to "upgrade"?
Do you think it would cost me $240 a year to put one 90 minute movie on there?
UPDATE: OK. I think I found the page detailing their platform. $20 a month billed annually. And they charge $7 a month to earn NO revenue???? How comical! Who would pay to earn NOTHING?!
https://vimeo.com/upgrade?vcid=3358...VnCCtBh1dcQ6TEAAYASAAEgJmx_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
Since Amazon has been purging titles, they finally dumped one of ours. Assuming that they will eventually dump ALL of our older films
shot in SD, we have been looking for alternatives. We found a company called Filmhub which charges nothing for placing your films on various websites, such as Vimeo, Amazon Prime, and over 70 other sites, mostly advertiser supported AVOD sites. Filmhub takes a cut of what you make. We uploaded several of our films to Filmhub, and we will see what happens. So far each film has been placed on three sites. (Takes about a week). Filmhub pays the $200/year Vimeo fee, so it truly doesn't cost us anything to try. Your films WILL need captions, however, which you have to provide on your own...your only expense. For captions, we use a company called Rev, which charges only a dollar a minute. They are fantastic, with a 24 hour turnaround time.

I signed up with FilmHub and uploaded my film in late Feb 2019 and my film was delivered to Amazon (UK, US and RoW), Vimeo, and UDU Digital. That's it. Amazon still has not re-accepted my film. It was purged back in January from Amazon Prime after I delivered it on my own and had it available for 2 years. Haven't seen my film on Vimeo either.

BTW captions you can do on your own with the help of YouTube's caption adding software. Just upload a blank (black video) version of your film with just audio. Type in your captions then export your .srt file.

Filmhub is a shot in the dark at best, but at least it's free. We don't expect to make any money with them, but at least our films are "out there" somewhere. We have 8 films listed with filmhub, which appear on Udu, Amazon Prime, Unreel, and Binge Horror. Two more films are approved and awaiting placement.

Back