Advice

So I finally got some work on a real set with a real crew and a real budget. I'm just going to be a PA, which is totally fine with me as I just want some experience and hopefully to make some contacts for future work :)

We're going to be shooting 1 short and 2 music videos from Sunday through Wednesday. Here's the facebook page for two of the projects:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Amber-Moelters-Catwoman-Summer-Project/123434001012237?ref=search

I'd love any advice you might have for me to make the most of this (and also not embarrass myself) :D

Thanks

So I finally got some work on a real set with a real crew and a real budget. I'm just going to be a PA, which is totally fine with me as I just want some experience and hopefully to make some contacts for future work :)

We're going to be shooting 1 short and 2 music videos from Sunday through Wednesday. Here's the facebook page for two of the projects:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Amber-Moelters-Catwoman-Summer-Project/123434001012237?ref=search

I'd love any advice you might have for me to make the most of this (and also not embarrass myself) :D

Thanks

First of all, congrats! That sounds like fun. I'd expect and hope that some of the people on this forum with professional experience would chime in with more detail, however...

For a while, I was considering moving to LA and doing the PA thing. I did a lot of reading about it, and as far as I can tell, the advice is pretty simple -- bring a positive can-do attitude, and run your ass off. Literally run. Be accessible -- stay out of the way, but be right there, ready to rock, whenever any random little thing is needed.

Three gigs in 4 days sounds pretty ambitious. :)

Comfy shoes & a black sharpie. Never be late.

That's about it. Have fun :)

:)

First of all, congrats! That sounds like fun. I'd expect and hope that some of the people on this forum with professional experience would chime in with more detail, however...

For a while, I was considering moving to LA and doing the PA thing. I did a lot of reading about it, and as far as I can tell, the advice is pretty simple -- bring a positive can-do attitude, and run your ass off. Literally run. Be accessible -- stay out of the way, but be right there, ready to rock, whenever any random little thing is needed.

Thanks! It sounds like the crew is about 15 people, at least half of which will be PAs. Right now it looks like I'm mainly a 'wardrobe assistant,' as the producer and the director/actress are together and he doesn't want any men helping her with her latex suits.

I'm thinking if I keep a sharp eye though and be proactive I'll get to do something else, too :)

Three gigs in 4 days sounds pretty ambitious.

Comfy shoes & a black sharpie. Never be late.

That's about it. Have fun :)

They are actually shooting through Thursday, I just have to work that day. Agreed, though, it's still pretty ambitious.

I was helping them with costumes and sorting props on Wednesday, though, and they seemed pretty organized.

Not to mention that they will be shooting on the 7D so there won't be as much lighting issues :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Keep it coming :)

While it's always a good idea to be willing to help any dept. with anything. Try to understand clearly what is expected of you regarding your primary duties. Make sure you're work is done before volunteering to help others. Make it known that you're willing to help but never take it upon yourself to touch anything not related to your specific duties without the permission of each dept. head.

Help with the load-out and if possible stay until everyone is loaded out and that goodwill will be remembered by crew members who may be able to refer work to you in the future.

AND HAVE FUN!

:)

Thanks! It sounds like the crew is about 15 people, at least half of which will be PAs. Right now it looks like I'm mainly a 'wardrobe assistant,' as the producer and the director/actress are together and he doesn't want any men helping her with her latex suits.

I'm thinking if I keep a sharp eye though and be proactive I'll get to do something else, too :)

They are actually shooting through Thursday, I just have to work that day. Agreed, though, it's still pretty ambitious.

I was helping them with costumes and sorting props on Wednesday, though, and they seemed pretty organized.

Not to mention that they will be shooting on the 7D so there won't be as much lighting issues :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Keep it coming :)

So. That was an experience. I ended up handing them my 'resignation' after the second day/short.

I don't want to turn this into a complain fest. So just looking at the positives of my experience:

I met a lot of really nice people who I hope to be able to work with in the future. It's so much fun talking with people who love talking about film as much as me! I didn't really learn anything about filmmaking, tbh. But I did learn a lot about myself. So this experience has served its purpose, I guess :)

Anyway, maybe I'll elaborate more if I can find a way to talk about it without sounding like I'm bashing the folks who's project it is.

Bring it on! :pop:

Spill the beans in the Prem Lounge, if you're worried about too many peeps reading it. ;)

Last edited:
Bring it on! :pop:

Spill the beans in the Prem Lounge, if you're worried about too many peeps reading it. ;)

Well, I'm not a premiere member, but as a high school student considering film school, I'm certainly interested in her experience, as doing the PA thing is pretty much the first thing most people do after film school.

So, if I may ask, what happened? :huh:

Congrats. Always be around and available, try to know the next move. If you know a camera guy is going to need something have it ready. Be on your game.

Last edited:
Back