Adobe or Final Cut? Please help!

Late this year I am planning on buying either Adobe Premier CS5 (maybe the production suite) or Final Cut Studio 7. I don't know which one to buy. If I were to buy the suite, I think (I may be wrong) I would be getting more software with the money but I hear Final Cut is better. I don't know which to go with or even which is better. Could someone help be decide? Adobe or Final cut?

I think both are great programs.

With Final Cut studio ($1000):
Applications included in Final Cut Studio

* Final Cut Pro 7 for video and film editing
* Motion 4 for motion graphics and animation
* Soundtrack Pro 3 for audio post-production
* Color 1.5 for color grading and finishing
* Compressor 3.5 and DVD Studio Pro 4 for digital delivery virtually anywhere — Apple devices, the web, and disc

With Adobe Creative Suite 5 Production Premium ($1700):
*Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 for video and film editing
*After Effects CS5 for motion graphics and animation
*Photoshop Extended CS5 for photo manipulation and editing
*Flash Catalyst CS5 (used by architects and designers)
*Flash Professional CS5 for computer animation
*Soundbooth CS5 for audio post-production
*Adobe Onlocation CS5 for recording and monitoring
* Encore CS5 for dvd authoring
* Bridge CS5 (plug-in for photoshop)

You make the decision.

Last edited:
Honestly, if you are looking to get a job in the industry eventually or soon, I would get FCP first. Premiere Pro CS5 is truly cool and with the suite you would be getting After Effects, Bridge, Photoshop (I think) and a few other programs. I have a slight case of buyers remorse.

The big thing with CS5 is you realistically need a monster pc to run it and that means money. A production rig would typically have an i7 processor, 24GB of RAM, a carefully selected $$ motherboard and a graphics card that will be around $800.00+ all by itself.

The free resources to learn CS5 are impressive and I don't know that much about FCP in this regard.

It's a big decision, but you need to know the ugly part of Adobe.

Final Cut is becoming industry standard, so why not buy it and master it? I've never come across a job opportunity requesting Adobe Premiere proficiency. (Maybe someone has?)

However, that said, Photoshop is big, so if you like working on it, you have a bit of a dilemma. I love Photoshop and I love Final Cut. I wish they sold both of them together with a nice discount.

If you don't care a about graphics design and editing, you can do without Photoshop. Final Cut, in MY opinion, is the way to go.

None of the above. Either one of the aforementioned options would be a tremendous waste of money for you.

Do you have any idea how advanced those programs are? It would be years before you even get close to fully utilizing them. And that's if you fancy yourself an editor. But in another post, you said that you want to be a director. Heck, for all you know, you may discover that your true passion is as a foley artist. Or a cinematographer. Without knowing your strengths and passions, it's way too early for you to make such a sizeable purchase, when something far less expensive will do everything you need it to.

Sony Vegas HD Platinum 10. Less than $100.

As far as basic editing is concerned (which is what you will be doing), Vegas Platinum 10 is just as strong as either of the other two. You're 15 years old; you've got time to figure out exactly what you want to do. For the time being, I think you should try lots of different things, see where your strengths are, and where your passions are (probably in the same place). As I mentioned before, unless you see yourself as specifically wanting to be an editor, you don't need the most expensive software.

I have CS5, and love it (but you wouldn't believe how much of it I don't use, and I've been doing this for many years). I've used FCP, and it's pretty much six or one-half-dozen of the other. But you don't need either.

Save your money. Use it to build a light-kit. Or to get better sound equipment. Or build a jib. You fancy yourself a director? Directors want jibs!

Sony Vegas. Excellent program for first-timers (because it's cheap), and it functions basically the same as the other two, so you'll be able to easily transition to them, if/when you're ready.

but I hear Final Cut is better. I don't know which to go with or even which is better.
Neither is better.

Muddies the water, doesn't it? Both are excellent programs. So are Vegas and iMovie.
I tend to agree with Cracker - at this stage you should use a cheaper program. If
you have a PC get Vegas, if you're on a Mac iMovie is there and free.

When you have directed and edited six to eight short films then you can think about
FCP or ACS. But if you are dead set on getting one of them right now, flip a coin. Which
ever wins you will be happy with and be able to edit you movies.

Keep in mind, I don't think Final Cut Express has an option to edit on a 23.976 timeline. Or is it that it cannot export 23.976? One of the two. I'm sure someone here can correct me if I'm wrong.

---

That being said, I recently purchased CS5 Production Premium. Couldn't be happier. I do a lot of design work so Photoshop was a must! I'm very familiar with Premiere and after effects. Overall it's just a great collection of programs.

I think you have to figure out just what it is you want to be doing.

I have Final Cut Pro. I would like to give some of my productions some polish and maybe a little snazzier look. However, I don't expect or really want to do any heavy duty special effects. FCP is also very easy to learn.

CS5 seems to be a very intricate program. You should go to the Adobe website and look at all the things that are available. There are about 5 different 'suites' that you can purchase. For what I want to do, CS5 might just be overkill. However, if you want to end up doing some of the extensive effects, like the stuff you see in movies, you probably want to go with Creative Suite. Also, if you know one or the other, I've heard that the learning curve for the other system CS5 or FCP will be shorter.

I have to disagree with C-Funk, though. If you choose to end up in the industry and not just your own indie films - - I have to look into getting a paying job that will let me edit - - Your best bet will be Final Cut or Creative Suite. Those two programs will take you further. It will probably pay off in the long run.

As for Sony Vegas or Final Cut Express, I think you should choose Express. The system is very close to Final Cut and I would choose it for the reasons I've already given.

-- spinner :cool:

Last edited:
I have Final Cut Pro.

CS5 seems to be a very intricate program.

These are the kinds of debates that occur between what is "best". Everyone has their preference, usually whatever they learned first. A lot of assumption occurs between what people know and suppose (no offense Spin).

One NLE program is not better than the other. It's 100% preference. I edit in both Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere. They are practically identical, and equally easy to learn the basics. The complex parts will take years to master, but 95% of what you need to know is not that hard in either one.

Spin is right though, FINAL CUT PRO is more widely used in film and television, as ADOBE PREMIERE is barely used at all in the industry for narrative work on features by the high end folks. AVID MEDIA COMPOSER still gets used a lot in the higher ups too.

ADOBE PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS ADOBE PREMIERE ELEMENTS 9

I know it is probably below most people but there is nothing wrong with spending $119 for these two (ADOBE PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 9 / PREMIERE ELEMENTS 9) products if you are just starting out. By the time you master them and are ready to go pro there will be a new FCPS4 or CS6 out and then you can make your decision after learning video editing. Photoshop and premier elements 9 both for the first time are windows / apple friendly. I suggest buying them and a ok computer until you get all the skill sets then upgrade to the latest and greatest. Wonderful photos/videos can be produced with elements 9. Much better deal than FCE or Vegas, seeing as you get a pretty good photo editing program as well as a pretty good video editing program cheap.

Working for the US Government and NATO countries I have the pleasure of using FCPS3/FCE4 /CS5/Elements 9/Avid MC5 and somewhat Vegas 8. Until recent I was sold on FCPS3 but now I lean toward CS5. Avid is good for film but defiantly a harder learning curve and not very friendly. But that is just me.

Last edited:
I've been using CS5 for about 4 years (well CS v.x), and find it to have a huge, varied feature set.

As mentioned above, it will take a year before you are using 10% of the features, and I have never made use of 33% of it, after producing several films and a tv show.

This advice about starting with a simpler program is good. It will save you a lot of money, and for quite a while you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between something you made with vegas, and something you made with CS5 or FCP.

Premiere is pretty handy for scoring and narration work. I don't own a Mac, so I didn't bother with FCP, since my understanding is that it's more at home in a Mac environment. (correct me if I'm wrong)

So far, Sony Vegas Pro is limited to the Windows platform. I've read reviews by Mac users if Sony were to make a Mac version of Vegas Pro, they would jump to Sony. Sony is the first of the big three to make a HD version of their software and many other industry firsts that were copied by Apple and Adobe.

Also, Vegas is Premiere and After Efffects or Final Cut and After Effects combined. So, if you are low on cash, Vegas is the best choice.

I've used all of the popular editing apps and for the most part, when it gets down to it you are just arranging clips, making cuts and doing simple transitions. Theres not a best app for that.. They all work well and operate in a similar fashion. If you learn one, you can pick the others up pretty easily.
I would suggest you go with a PC based solution just because of the price factor (twice the power for half the money). So I would throw another vote in for Vegas as well.

These are the kinds of debates that occur between what is "best". Everyone has their preference, usually whatever they learned first. A lot of assumption occurs between what people know and suppose (no offense Spin).

No offense taken :) If you don't know, ask.
It's just that I've been hard pressed to find AE people who say its the same thing, though you are the second person I know who has told me this. The one AE person I know says this is not so...(shrug)

However,
About Adobe Photoshop Elements: I used Photoshop everyday to make graphics at my old job. What is the difference between Photoshop and Photoshop Elements besides the price? I was considering getting something to make backgrounds with...

-- spinner :cool:

What is the difference between Photoshop and Photoshop Elements besides the price? I was considering getting something to make backgrounds with... :[/QUOTE said:
There is a huge difference between the two. This is why PS CS5 cost more. If you know Photoshop and can afford PS CS5 then don’t even bother with PS Elements. All the Elements products are basic as in they have limited capabilities compared to their bigger brothers. What makes the elements products attractive is the ease of use and the price. Great to learn on while waiting for the next big version of CS before jumping in with a lot of $$$$. Adobe Elements products do produce wonderful finished products but are limited for professionals.

Back