• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

location-sound Actors Not Projecting

Hello! I've often had difficulty with actors speaking at such a low volume that it sounds like they're talking to themselves rather than to someone more than twelve inches away from them. When I ask them to please talk louder because the background noise will ruin my sound, they refuse. I'm not asking them to declamate, just to talk like a normal person. I'd be grateful for any solutions you could offer for this. Thanks!

Last edited:
I hear you (yeah, bad joke).
And I have this problem when I watch a lot of movies (especially indies) and have to crank the volume.

Maybe you can incorporate a test run of this into your audition process? And if they're not willing to take your direction, explain to them that you can't cast them.

Of course, the other thing to consider (if/as possible) is to concentrate on finding locations with minimal background noise, and/or noise that can be controlled (refrigerator that can be turned off, etc).

I look forward to seeing the other suggestions that come up.

Actors with a theatrical background should understand this direction. Also if you hold rehearsals you can tweak some of this so there is no pressure on set. On set actors are in a zone. It's hard to manage on set.

Your actors refuse to do as you ask. That's a difficult one...

Since this is something that happens often to you I will second
mlesemann - in the future cast actors who will not refuse your
requests.

Perhaps you need to explain a little better why you are asking
your actors to speak up. Allow them to do a take their way and
then request one your way. The next day let them see (and hear)
the raw footage so they can hear for themselves how their choices
impact the the project.

I think there's also a focus among actors in being "natural" when acting - which is all well and good until we can't hear them.

I always say - in this context and MANY others - remember your viewers. We're making movies and shows for them, not ourselves.

Here's a good article from a few years ago about exactly this issue. And while it cites directors, I definitely think it's rubbed off on actors.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainmen...g-is-ruining-tv-and-film-20170201-gu2u5j.html

Last edited:
We should also ask if you have a proper sound crew. If it's your nephew with a duct taped mic on a fishing pole, then it's not the actor's fault. 🤣

I hear you (yeah, bad joke).
And I have this problem when I watch a lot of movies (especially indies) and have to crank the volume.

Maybe you can incorporate a test run of this into your audition process? And if they're not willing to take your direction, explain to them that you can't cast them.

Of course, the other thing to consider (if/as possible) is to concentrate on finding locations with minimal background noise, and/or noise that can be controlled (refrigerator that can be turned off, etc).

I look forward to seeing the other suggestions that come up.
Thank you

Your actors refuse to do as you ask. That's a difficult one...

Since this is something that happens often to you I will second
mlesemann - in the future cast actors who will not refuse your
requests.

Perhaps you need to explain a little better why you are asking
your actors to speak up. Allow them to do a take their way and
then request one your way. The next day let them see (and hear)
the raw footage so they can hear for themselves how their choices
impact the the project.
Thank you

Actor Michael Caine bemoans this in his autobiography 'Blowing the Bloody Doors Off' (Hodder & Stoughton, 2018).

He says it's because many film and TV actors have not trained on stage, and have not taught themselves how to enunciate and project to be understood and heard. There are benefits to being a classically-trained actor. :)

François
www.lampfilmusic.com

Back