• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Actor Slates: examples

Hey all. I host a film actor's meetup group and we recently shot actor slates for our members. This was a no cost deal for our members.

We ended up being even more pleased with the results than we imagined. We did model what we did off of another quality slate we saw, and hit it pretty close.

Two lights--soft box key and another light on the photographers white drop behind. Then we did a bit of color correction, and popped the white backdrop. We did get different shots (CU and MED), but we also clearly added some digital zoom in motion.

We shot ten minutes of about a string of 20 questions to everyone.

If you have a sec, go to this link and tell me what you think? Is this a resource you think is worth charging for? Not that this is what we are doing it for, but when we move out to LA, we might try and make some money on the side.

http://www.sarahnicklin.com/Actor_Slates/

Last edited:
I only watched one of them, but my god it was terrifying.

A non-stop blurble of non-sequitars, with a healthy dose of ummmms on the side. I'm sure the idea is to illustrate the ooc personality of the actor in question, but that was one heck of a word-salad barrage. The only thing I had on my mind was, "Does this person ever shut up?".

A few weeks ago, I was the reader at an audition session. There was one fellow who pretty much nailed the role he was trying out for, yet the director tossed his h/r the second he'd left the room. Too clingy, he said. The actor had been talking incessantly before & after the actual reading, about all the various projects he'd been involved with, people he'd met, things he hoped to accomplish, the sammich he'd had for lunch, coffee past 3pm is not good for him, being an extra on War of the Worlds, etc.

I had the same feeling then, as with this.

Is this a resource you think is worth charging for?

I wouldn't pay for one of these, but there are a lot of people who would (and do).

Lemme know when you're coming out! :)

Yikes. Zen and I must have looked at the same one. Babble,
babble, babble. If I was watching as a director I would have hit
stop immediately.

Quality is excellent, no doubt about that.

Is this a resource you think is worth charging for? Not that this is what we are doing it for, but when we move out to LA, we might try and make some money on the side.
You will be in competition out here with about 500 other people
doing it. From big prodCo's and agencies to just about every
aspiring director, writer, DP and actor in Los Angeles. 1,500 if
you don't include the ones not advertising. And you will be in
competition with every actor who knows someone with a camera
who is shooting these things for free.

On the other hand, there are a LOT of actors moving out here each
and every day. So you might find some paying work.

OK, well let's forget about the blabbering...was that the person being annoying, or was that the editing style? This is just how a lot of actor's slates are, because not every body is a great speaker.

Watch Bob's actor slate. Not one 'umm'...we didn't even edit around them...there just weren't any. Anyway...it's hard to make someone less or clingy, and into a person you'd love to hire and befriend. We do a ton of editing 'ummms' out, trust me. Some people are just...not going to be appealing, and some people just don't have a ton of interesting things to say.

I realize we'd be competing with a lot of people...trust me I absolutely know that. But there are so many people, and when you're constantly acting and networking, you meet people that may not have a 'slate', and you can offer it up. We would be extremely cheap...highly competitive.

We've looked around...and looked around...and looked around. 90% of online actor slates suck. They look like crap, look unprofessional, and are boring. That's odd, because Rik you're saying there are so many slates being done all the time by a lot of people...why aren't there better quality slates out there? We've only seen a few that are at the fidelity level we are at...and these are our first actor slates we've done.

I'd love to see some other ones that kick butt...just to learn a few things and see what's stylin' and profilin'.

Thanks for the critique and insight.

Last edited:
I see a lot of them when I cast. Even when I cast a very low
budget show I get a few hundred of them.

Most of them are pretty poor. That doesn't seem to be an issue.
It isn't to me as a director. I know you want me to forget about
the blabbering one, but THAT'S what matters in an actors slate.
Excellent quality (which you have here) doesn't matter much.
I looked at Bob's. If that was shot with available light on a Flip in
his living room he would still be an interesting actor. And the
babbler was annoying even with the excellent quality you provided.

I don't know why you haven't seen many good ones. Do you mean
that 90% of the actors suck or that 90% of the quality sucks?
I realize we'd be competing with a lot of people...trust me I absolutely know that. But there are so many people, and when you're constantly acting and networking, you meet people that may not have a 'slate', and you can offer it up. We would be extremely cheap...highly competitive.
Extremely cheap and competitive here in Los Angeles would mean
under $20. And then you are competing with the agencies and
CD's who offer the service along with web hosting of the slate. But
if you can shoot 10 to 20 of them a week you can make a little
money on the side. I get asked, "What would you charge?" three
to five times a month. They are always looking for something cheaper
than the rest. If you can offer that and you can keep enough clients
in this market I salute you.

@ directorik....Stop making so much sense.

My thoughts on this would be.... To do what youre talking about doing but offer your services to people outside of the Hollywood LA area. Like,say, in Montana. Seriously, those people don't have access. Might be a market............Forget it it's a bad idea......I'll try it myself and let you know :)

Rik,

When I say 90% are crap...I mean the quality, *and* the interview/talking.

I think the quality does matter, and it will matter more and more once 'slates' become even bigger. Don't forget, a slate is also a way for a total noob actor to fill in the gap they have missing without an actual demo reel...so it should be no substitute, but it also should be of professional quality.

I wouldn't want to hand a business card to someone with rips and coffee stains on it. You know?

Ya, we probably wouldn't make enough money with the volume of slates being offered up to make it worth our while. Maybe we'll just offer it for free, and use it more as a networking opp.

So, mine wasn't up before...if you have a hankering to watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGNfiJkv8q4

Last edited:
As a writer, a director and a producer working in Los
Angeles I have not forgotten what slates are used for
or who uses them. They are a fine way for a new actor
to fill in the gap as they build their reel. What I look
for what I watch one is the charisma of the actor. The
quality of the production is far down on the list of what
I'm looking for. I believe there is a middle ground between
your business card analogy and a high quality, expensive,
professionally produced actors slate.