• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

a writing exercise

I want to practice my writing skills and English. Can somebody give me a genre and/or a subject 48 hour film style? I'll write a five pager based on that and post the final product here for Critique and for anyone to shoot (if it won't be too embarrassing).

Last edited:
A teacher once told me never to trash any writings or ideas you get.

There are many formatting issues, typos, and grammar problems. I'd rewrite it, or get someone to rewrite it. It is a good idea!

Good luck :cool:

yeah, for formatting switch to celtx seriously, it makes format issues a thing of the past, you can work in the cloud and its FREE!
Thanks. Already have Celtx but it seems that I have messed up some of the settings.

edit: Apparently I should have watched a simple 5 minute tutorial before starting to use it. facepalm

Last edited:
A darkly comedic drama involving a children's toy telephone, a gun, and a picture of a sheep. At one point in the film, a character has to say "where did the picture of the sheep go?". In another scene, a character has to say "how about garlic and vinegar?". There has to be a Fight Club reference, and a Big Lebowski reference.

A darkly comedic drama involving a children's toy telephone, a gun, and a picture of a sheep. At one point in the film, a character has to say "where did the picture of the sheep go?". In another scene, a character has to say "how about garlic and vinegar?". There has to be a Fight Club reference, and a Big Lebowski reference.
That would be a challenge. Maybe a story about a kid with an evil imaginary friend. Fight club is awesome.

nice posts

Just finished a bit over 4 page first draft based on this. I think I got down most of the criteria except the line about vinegar. It has content that might be considered disturbing (violence among kids) so I'm not going to post it here but if anyone wants to give it a read send me a PM or post in this thread and i'll PM a link. Same goes for a new version of Bastard with the Celtx formatting issue fixed.

Title: Unimaginable
Log line: A kid creates an imaginary friend to deal with a bully but this friend turns out to be insane.

Just finished a bit over 4 page first draft based on this. I think I got down most of the criteria except the line about vinegar. It has content that might be considered disturbing (violence among kids) so I'm not going to post it here but if anyone wants to give it a read send me a PM or post in this thread and i'll PM a link. Same goes for a new version of Bastard with the Celtx formatting issue fixed.

Title: Unimaginable
Log line: A kid creates an imaginary friend to deal with a bully but this friend turns out to be insane.

I like the idea. It reminds me of the film "Ben X". Send me a PM.

Back