A self-leveling tripod?

Loud Orange Cat

Pro Member
indiePRO
I have a problem. I have an extremely heavy duty tripod and fluid head for my HD camera but it seems that no matter how much I try, I can't seem to get it the tripod level (even using levels on the tripod itself). Every scene is 'off' buy a few degrees and it's annoying as hell. I can't see it when setting up, but I see it in post. So, the obvious conclusion is to ask for a 'self-leveling' tripod.

I've never seen one, can't find one on the internet either so the question becomes 'do they exist?' or 'where can I buy one?'

Thanks for the advice ^^

As far as I know, no they do not exist. Does your tripod have a 'bubble' that you can check the level on? Sometimes bubbling it is not good enough, as you turn up to rooms that aren't level, so making it level with the room itself puts your actors on an angle. I will level by eye when i see this happen - it helps to have frame guides on your display as a straight line point of reference.

Yep, there's 'bubble levelers' all over it, but with the technology contractors have of self-leveling laser sights, I was hoping someone had integrated it with a tripod.

The person that patents the first one will be a millionaire overnight with all the use from Hollywood ^^

How do you level it on set ? Do you shorten/lengthen the legs or do you have a ball at base of the juncture of the legs ? Because while Option 1 is hell on Earth, option 2 is quite straight-forward.

the self leveling contract transit platforms are not for panning\tilting after setup Getting level for a static position is not so hard, assuring level for camera movement in multiple axis, now thatch hard.

Get a bowl and fill it with water. Mount a camera to a board. Float the board and camera on the water in the bowl..... boom, self leveling camera mount. ;)

but seriously..

the bubble level needs to be in the correct spot. Mine is on the pan axis of my head. See here..
SUSOconn50D5.JPG

Last edited:
I forget which model it is, but one of the Canon DSLRs has a leveler-line built into the camera, and displays it on the LCD display. May be worth looking at, if you can't find/trust a level tripod. :bag:

I laid rules on top of the head to create a flat 'ceiling' to install the bubble levelers on the tripod head to make them as accurate as possible, but still have to use the legs to adjust.

I love the head, it's very smooth, but not on a ball (there's my problem!)

I'm thinking on buying a new tripod/head kit from B&H, but not sure what to buy. I want something that's VERY heavy duty and not light enough to wobble in high winds.

Any suggestions?

I forget which model it is, but one of the Canon DSLRs has a leveler-line built into the camera, and displays it on the LCD display. May be worth looking at, if you can't find/trust a level tripod. :bag:.

My Canon 6D has this feature but the level indicator cannot display on an external field monitor which is a major pain in the ass. All the other icons display but the level indicator doesn't. This issue is a known and included in the Canon manual. When you use a field monitor the camera's internal monitor is automatically switched off so you can't see the level indicator there either.

As a newbie I've been finding leveling my tripod a major headache too. I'm steadily getting better and faster at it thank goodness.

My tripod only had one (at times hard to read) bubble level indicator. buying one of these helped me:

Manfrotto 394 Low Profile Quick Release Adapter with buddle level indicator and 410PL Plate
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5563-REG/Manfrotto_394_394_Low_Profile_Quick.html

p.s. Loud Orange Cat, great tripod you picked. Love the LED light on the bubble leveler - smart design.

Last edited:
DAMN. That's nice. And it's not out of budget.

Damn guy. If you have that kind of budget don't waste it on a gadget.

If you do want to spend that kind of coin on a tripod and fluid head, then at least get a Sachtler or Cartoni. Used O'Connor (newer than Wheat's) might even be possible if you are patient. I got my O'Connor 515 for ~$800, but maybe the load limit on that is too low for your needs? I guess Miller maybe, I don't care for the feel of them, but the build quality is good. Depending on how much you need it to hold you should be able to get a decent Sachtler for that price, maybe stretching it for the legs.

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?...ads&Feature1=Sachtler,Cartoni&Feature1=Miller

At a bare minumum a Cartoni Focus HD w/legs should run ~$1500.

Last edited:
Back