A Rob Zombie Film????

Has ANYONE seen 'House of a Thousand Corpses'?

...I understand that it was an awful horror film by Rob Zombie. As for Zombie himself, he seems to be a pretty creative person, but I heard the film was just bad. I'm going to rent it to see for myself...

I ask because Zombie just released a sequel called the Devils Rejects with Lion's Gate.

How does an untried filmmaker with a bad film get a nationwide release like this? I assume that the guy must have had alot of his own money to make the film, but to get a nationwide release? How was he able to do that? What kind of lightning has to strike? He is further along than alot of us considering he has had two films released nationally....

...'course he does know Ozzy...and Ozzy is the prince of darkness :devil: \m/

--spinner :cool:

It had some really cool shots and moments in it, but House of 1000 Corpses was simply an exploitation film. Some people will enjoy it, most won't.
I thought there were a few particularly neat ideas in there, but meh... overall it just didn't have anything that would keep me coming back for more.

His name is what gets him funding... he already has a large musical fan base, and his name is out there, so investors would probably be a little more comfortable giving up funds, knowing that he alread has "cult status" and can get a crowd large enough to return a profit. Probably.

...and looking at IMDbPro, it looks like the film was made for $7M and grossed $12.6M at the box office alone. That doesn't include DVD sales. Even though it may have been a bad film, it still made double it's money and probably more (DVD sales) by now. Money talks.

Rob Zombie...

spinner said:
Has ANYONE seen 'House of a Thousand Corpses'?

...I understand that it was an awful horror film by Rob Zombie. As for Zombie himself, he seems to be a pretty creative person, but I heard the film was just bad. I'm going to rent it to see for myself...

I ask because Zombie just released a sequel called the Devils Rejects with Lion's Gate.

How does an untried filmmaker with a bad film get a nationwide release like this? I assume that the guy must have had alot of his own money to make the film, but to get a nationwide release? How was he able to do that? What kind of lightning has to strike? He is further along than alot of us considering he has had two films released nationally....

...'course he does know Ozzy...and Ozzy is the prince of darkness :devil: \m/

2 Reasons...

Lion's Gate is known for giving directors creative control. No other studio would have even put this movie out. Lion's Gate is betting on Zombie's fan base to turn a profit with THE DEVIL'S REJECTS.

filmy

*edit: Actually, I too, was speaking of Rob Zombie's fan base and not regular (?) zombies... LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
"House of 1000 Corpses" was originally made at Universal (I still have a copy of the original trailer with the Universal logo on it...it was bad ass). They saw the rough cut and dumped it IMMEDIATELY! Then Lion's Gate swooped in and picked it up.

It was bad, but like Spat said, it did have a cult following due to the "idea" that the movie was so gruesome Universal dumped it (in reality, they dumped it cause it was just plain stupid) and the fact that Zombie is a big name with a large fan base.

And like Jason said, it made money.

And like filmy said, it has a zombie following.

So, money maker + cult status + large fan base = sequel.

I myself will someday see "The Devil's Rejects" simply to see if Zombie out-crapped himself.

Poke

...I guess I was looking at it the wrong way...

I was coming from the standpoint of a strictly unknown director and a bad film. I figured, yeah Zombie has standing in music, but not so much in film and was forgetting about the built in fan base. Too bad we don't have his connections...

I saw rob zombie on Henry (Rollins) film corner on IFC (love this show!!) and apprantely it took him a long time to get Funding. but eventually Lion's gate took it in and saw that it actually made some money for them so gave him a sequel. I have never seen either film, but my friends love the first one. They are however huge horror film fans and said you really have to be into that genre to like his film. So guess its good for its genre appratenly. And, lets say it is bad. the guy did a film like he wanted to. I am sure that if we were all in his position, we would use our fame to make a film just b/c we can. at least he made his movie his way, without apologizing for it and at least that is something we all would like to do. just my 2cents. Peace

You're right...

vvalverde said:
I saw rob zombie on Henry (Rollins) film corner on IFC (love this show!!) and apprantely it took him a long time to get Funding. but eventually Lion's gate took it in and saw that it actually made some money for them so gave him a sequel. I have never seen either film, but my friends love the first one. They are however huge horror film fans and said you really have to be into that genre to like his film. So guess its good for its genre appratenly. And, lets say it is bad. the guy did a film like he wanted to. I am sure that if we were all in his position, we would use our fame to make a film just b/c we can. at least he made his movie his way, without apologizing for it and at least that is something we all would like to do. just my 2cents. Peace

I don't think anyone here would dispute what you say about making a film the way we want. Luckily, he's got enough of a fan base for his film to make money. I understand THE DEVILS REJECTS is supposed to be NATURAL BORN KILLERS on steroids so the boxoffice take should be interesting.

Unfortunately, if someone OTHER than Rob made the first film, it probably would have died a miserable death because let's face it...

filmy

See I actually thought the first film was pretty damn creepy. And unlike the watered down PG-13 horror crap coming out of Hollywood, he pulled no punches. I think if you like horror, it's definitely worth a watch. It was damn good for what it was, which is esentially a B-grade horror flick. (Certainly 10 times better than Boogeyman, or the remake of Texas Chainsaw, or the Grudge, any of that ilk.) So, yes, give it a rent...and I will certainly watch the new one. (A hell of a lot sooner than I'd watch some scientology commercial starring Tom Cruise.)

Actually I was thinking specifically of Vanilla Sky...but as for War, I just can't bring myself to see the movie after his public meltdown. Could be the greatest film of all time. But I'll skip it nonetheless.

I just chimed in really to give Zombie credit with doing his film his way. And to say give his first effort a glance. It's sick and twisted, but aren't horror films surrposed to be?

I'm just so tired of the PG-13 mentality.

War of the Worlds was a nice suprise and Tom Cruise was actually very good.
I would look at the movie for what it is, not for what one of the actors is in real life (remember he's one out of probably 2000 people that worked on the movie). It's worth seeing for sure, in the theatres.

But the orignal post was on an awesome movie, but obviously not one that appeals to all. I can easily see why, but I loved it and Rejects looks like one of the best of the summer.

It was great because it brought back that whole 1970's horror style.
The way Alexander Payne did it for "Sideways"
or Clint Eastwood for "Million Dollar Baby"
or Steven Soderberg
all these directors really keep that fantastic 1970s style cinema.

Rob Zombie just happened to do it with gore.

well, my opinions at least. forget the grudge and all these Amercian Asian remakes. The Devils Rejects looks amazing. and instead of the remakes check out the original Asian films and old classics (i.e. Chainsaw Massacre, Amityville Horror) that America keeps redoing.

Rob Zombie should stick to singing!

It's insane how he decides to make another movie!

I mean he must have made like 4 dollars with his last one!

the title I must admit is catchy (The Devil's Rejects) << I mean it makes those characters sound awful,

I think (Just like Texas Chainsaw Massacre) any project similar to the story already done should just stop at its original idea.

Unless it's Soderbergh's Ocean's 11 and 12. Those movies were Fantastic!

I'm getting beside the point here.

Wasn't Rob Zombie in the first flick he did? If he was he can't act a darn! :lol:

No point.
No legitimate purpose.
Just wanted to take my "Fair Use" out for a spin.
That's all.

CaptainSpaulding2012Scary-1.jpg

Last edited:
I think if you are looking for a scary movie that will give you nightmares then watch his films. They are real gory and scary in a Texas chainsaw way. Both movies creep me out and I will not re watch them. But I got to admit the first was pretty good. The second was not quite as good as the first.

I like his music much better then his films.

Back