• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

A question for women

For a scene i'm working on:

Girls,

You see a guy you like the look of in the distance. What would turn you off about him?

You get to talk to this guy. What would turn you off about him?

I'm too lazy to shave every day.
And since you can't just skip-a-day... aw, screwwit.

big-beard.jpg

Get serious, please.

Is this site populated by teenage boys?

At least they're just being juvenile and not actually misogynistic

Actually, I'm a bit offended that I'm being called "juvenile" when I was merely playing along with where the conversation was already going. As I stated above, it was one of the female members that brought up the "pubes" comment. Why am I being called out on it? Because I'm male? Kind of a double standard... :hmm:

Filmmaking is a boys club... Pick your battles.

Don't know why there needs to be a battle at all. If it's true that filmmaking is a boys club, that's not by my choice. I welcome any and all that would want to be a part of this artistic endeavor. Just remember, respect is a two way street, and females don't get to play one game while men are forced to play another...

That being said, if you felt my comments on here were disrespectful, my sincere apologies to anyone I may have offended.

Actually, I'm a bit offended that I'm being called "juvenile" when I was merely playing along with where the conversation was already going. As I stated above, it was one of the female members that brought up the "pubes" comment. Why am I being called out on it? Because I'm male? Kind of a double standard... :hmm:

Don't know why there needs to be a battle at all. If it's true that filmmaking is a boys club, that's not by my choice. I welcome any and all that would want to be a part of this artistic endeavor. Just remember, respect is a two way street, and females don't get to play one game while men are forced to play another...

That being said, if you felt my comments on here were disrespectful, my sincere apologies to anyone I may have offended.

"The guilty flee when no one pursueth." ;)

Seriously, though. I wasn't 'calling you out.' And there's nothing wrong with being juvenile. As the person who brought it up, I can state with authority that the topic was juvenile :)

No hard feelings. Friends? :yes:

If it's true that filmmaking is a boys club, that's not by my choice.

I don't really think there's an 'if' about it. But let's not derail the thread. Feel free to PM me or start a thread if you want to talk about it.

"The guilty flee when no one pursueth."

Seriously, though. I wasn't 'calling you out.' And there's nothing wrong with being juvenile. As the person who brought it up, I can state with authority that the topic was juvenile :)

No hard feelings. Friends? :yes:

I don't really think there's an 'if' about it. But let's not derail the thread. Feel free to PM me or start a thread if you want to talk about it.

Maybe I overreacted with my post... :blush:

It comes from being raised in a house full of women that liked to point out my offenses at every turn. That, and I still harbor a lot of Catholic guilt. :D

No hard feeling. Yes, still friends. Welcome to my boys club! :yes:

It used to be. But the people there now make being a hipster an occupation. They are professional hipsters, far too polished.

But let's not leave out Chicago. We've got a veritable infestation of them.

What's wrong with being a hipster when you sincerely like the way you dress, and the music you listen too?

You shouldn't sit on your throne and judge others.

I'm very flattered that you think I'm royalty :)

There's nothing wrong with liking who you are. But liking who you are and being an individual is not the definition of hipster. I was talking about a subculture, and I happen to find said subculture extremely fake and annoying.

And how is this any less of a judgement than what I said?

I think there are different definitions of "hipster". In a recent debate/conversation with a friend of mine, I told him that he was a hipster, and he was insulted.

To clarify, I defined a "hipster" as "a youthful person who rejects mainstream fashion, music, and culture in general". Nothing wrong with that. But to many of the people whom I would call hipsters, they think that word is derogatory. To many people, a hipster is fake and really just does everything for show, like this girl:

hipster4.jpg

But then, there's the hipster doesn't really give a shit about how the rest of society sees him. He truly believes in everything he says, and he practices what he preaches. He only eats locally-produced food, only buys coffee that is grown with ethically-sound labor practices, has a small urban garden in his back yard, refuses to drive a car because it's ruining our planet and economy, and is actually a really nice guy:

Fixed-Gear-Hipster.jpg

How one defines "hipster" completely changes the context of this conversation. :)

I'm very flattered that you think I'm royalty :)

There's nothing wrong with liking who you are. But liking who you are and being an individual is not the definition of hipster. I was talking about a subculture, and I happen to find said subculture extremely fake and annoying.

We tend to project and evaluate others based on our beliefs. It may seem fake and "annoying" to you but only because your beliefs differ.

How is it any different from you saying you like chocolate cake, and me saying I hate chocolate cake, and you end calling me a liar, or fake? That was more of an intuitive example, but I do like cake, either way you would find it hard to believe I didn't like cake right?

And how is this any less of a judgement than what I said?

I can state a fact and remain tolerant of others identity.

EDIT: jusayin

EDIT: And I'm also guilty of judging others. It's normal.

Last edited:
Where is the lack of tolerance in any of my posts?

Can I not state a fact ("But let's not leave out Chicago. We've got a veritable infestation of them"--the comment that seems to have bothered you so much) and still remain tolerant of others as well?

What is it about stating that fact that implies intolerance? In fact, and if I may play devil's advocate here, I think tolerance is a bad word. Because tolerance implies there's something bad there that needs to be tolerated in the first place.

justaskin

It's the term. Hipster is one who is hip...therefore others are not. A culture defined by excluding others. To call yourself a hipster is to say "I'm cool and you are not with it", for any given definition of "it". It's kinda pretentious, and thus is usually used either by pretentious people, or ironically as a description of someone who seems pretentious. It's the difference between a "counter culture" and a "sub culture".

Absolutely nothing wrong with liking what ever fashion and music, etc, are currently loved by the hipster lot!

Back