A new slant, on an old film ...

Hi guys

I've been thinking alot about this lately. I'm kind of 2/3 through a screenplay, i've mentioned before its quite 'off the wall' and the ideas for both action and dialogue happen quite spontaneously.

So I've parked that project to one side, and visit it as and when.

So I've thought about writing a screenplay for a more grounded, simplistic environment - something completley different to what I'm currently doing. I love films based around 1 or 2 characters - alot of Sly's films included, Rocky, Rambo, Cliffhanger. Even without Tom Hanks' character doing much speaking in Castaway, I still felt like I knew him and could empathize with his character.

My question, quite broadly speaking, how on earth do you go about approaching this 'different slant' without being instantly compared or rated vs its similar predecesor - or is it inevitable this will happen?

I'd love to write a boxing screenplay - but my worry is that some film plots, sub-genres, have been so over done (and done superbly) that any idea which is worth doing, has been done. Can I expect to write a classic, one day mentioned in the same breath as we were kings, rocky, raging bull? I'd like to think so, but more then likely, not a chance in a million years.

Its like when you hear a shoddy band do a cover of one of your favourite tracks - it just doesn't and cant live up to expectation! I don't want to be pessimistic, because I really want to give this a go!!

Did you see "The Wrestler" and "The Fighter"?

Both recent and both found something new and interesting
in the genre. And it's not as if "Rocky" brought anything
completely original to the boxing genre. In the 1970's Stallone
brought a rather cliche slant to an old genre and did it very
well.

Can I expect to write a classic, one day mentioned in the same breath as we were kings, rocky, raging bull?
I see no reason at all why you couldn't.

directorik is 100% on the money!

cameronproductions,

I loved The Wrestler and The Fighter! While having some concepts & character arcs in common, totally different stories! There are many ways of looking at such a violent sport & those that participate. Or think of 2004's Cinderella Story or Million Dollar Baby! Excellent movies!

Just remember:

Push your envelope... don't try to be too conservative.

Go for an original angle and exciting concept. TAKE ME somewhere I have never been before.

Get to your story... fast. Make the stakes mountainous...

Lots of conflict with obstacles! Surprise me! Keep that time bomb ticking!

Good luck! Go for it!

It is what I try to do with every page I write, every script I complete.

I am not rich or famous, my 2 cents...

Back