A more economical alternative to the Red?

By Hollywood standards, I guess the Red is the ultimate poor-man's camera. But I'm considering the possibility (likelihood) that I won't be able to afford it. I haven't entirely ruled-out the 5D or another DSLR, but I'm hoping to avoid that. This looks like a nice alternative, and would probably be affordable to rent:

http://vimeo.com/32067654

I'm not a camera techie. For those of you who are, what are your thoughts on this? The goal of the movie is theatrical distribution.

Or, let me ask it this way -- if you wanted to make a movie that you want to get into theaters, but you couldn't afford the Red, what would you shoot on?

This camera looks like it's going to be awesome. Have you seen the price tag though? It costs about the same (maybe a tad more) to get this as it does a shooting RED Scarlet.

We talked a lot about the pros and cons in the release night thread, but it's a long one. My summary (of my opinion) is that the Scarlet is better for a feature, though harder to work with the files in post. Still a lot more potential though, and te RED name carries some weight.

The biggest downside of the C300 is that it's only 1080p. While lower resolution movies have secured theater distribution in the past, 1920x1080 is a little low-res for theater screens. The Sarlet can do up to 2K in HDRx mode or up to 4k at standard 24p. Pretty impressive considering the price tag.

Shooting a serial or something you have to edit ASAP and continually, the Canon wins. Those files are similar to current DSLR files edit wide, just way more pretty.

To answer your final question, since if you couldn't afford a Scarlet then you probably couldn't afford this... I'd go 5D, it's the only camera with the cine look that's legitimately cheaper.

Last edited:
By Hollywood standards, I guess the Red is the ultimate poor-man's camera. But I'm considering the possibility (likelihood) that I won't be able to afford it. I haven't entirely ruled-out the 5D or another DSLR, but I'm hoping to avoid that. This looks like a nice alternative, and would probably be affordable to rent:

http://vimeo.com/32067654

As of right now I'm trying to work some magic to get an early C300. Although I do shoot RED (MX and Epic now), I am highly interested in checking out the C300 for reasons that I'll outline in a moment.

This camera looks like it's going to be awesome. Have you seen the price tag though? It costs about the same (maybe a tad more) to get this as it does a shooting RED Scarlet.

So, right now, the price hasn't been firmed. There're a lot of numbers bouncing around but it seems like it's going to be in the 15K range. Now, how does that compare to Scarlet?

Scarlet will cost a base amount of 15-16K as well, after taxes, to get anything close to a shooting package. But let us weigh what you will not be able to do with Scarlet at that amount: run and gun.

You need at least 6 batteries and two chargers to be able to sustain with scarlet, or a power tap at all times.

One 64Gb Card will be a pretty pain in the behind for those who want to shoot narrative, no matter how you slice it. It's workable, but I would never got into a shooting situation without at least two. Check the prices on Scarlet Media lately?

Speaking of Scarlet Media, shooting off 64Gb chunks at a time means you're going to spend more money storing the footage afterward, and redundancy.

You know what the expense of C300 exxtra batteries and cards are? Knowing Canon? I'd say 150 per battery and for some Sandisk CF Cards? 50.00 a pop. You could be running six cards on a low budget and never have to offload during the day.

Shot for Shot, the C300 will be cheaper to purchase and rent.

We talked a lot about the pros and cons in the release night thread, but it's a long one. My summary (of my opinion) is that the Scarlet is better for a feature, though harder to work with the files in post. Still a lot more potential though, and te RED name carries some weight.

It is a bit harder, but not that hard honestly. It's just 4K, a decent editing rig and Premiere will chop through Redcode 4K pretty easily. Finishing the project will be expensive, though. But, finishing any project can be so that's not really a factor, IMO.

The biggest downside of the C300 is that it's only 1080p. While lower resolution movies have secured theater distribution in the past, 1920x1080 is a little low-res for theater screens. The Sarlet can do up to 2K in HDRx mode or up to 4k at standard 24p. Pretty impressive considering the price tag.

Alright... so let's visit this. It's interesting that people think this is a downside, but I understand why: paper talk. Meaning, people see a larger number and think that larger is better, but the truth isn't on paper.

The C300's image is derived from a 3.8K sensor (true 4K sort of) in a way that makes the 1080 coming out of that camera every bit as resolute and sharp as a post-converted, down-rezzed 4K image from RED MX and I am pretty sure, Scarlet at 4K.

I'd be willing to bet hard cash on this.

What is Redcode 4K? It's actually 3.2K, not 4K. To get 4K from RED you need to shoot 5K, which the Scarlet only does @ 12FPS. Effectively, Scarlet is a very good camera for 2K@24P. I guess if you want to say that you have a 4K master, then sure. You could do that. The resolution in comparison to true 4K systems (Epic and Sony's 8K Camera) will show you that it's not the case.

Furthermore, let's talk about frame rates: Scarlet shoots 4K@30P, 3K@48P, 2K@60P, 1K@120P.

On the surface, this looks pretty awesome. Again, paper talk. Because, @ 3K you're shooting a GH2 sized (about) image, effectively losing the real-estate of your lenses and you're taking a quality hit when digging into the OLPF.

2K@60P will get you a 2/3" sensor sized image. Even more of a quality hit.

1k@120P is youTube status.

To get the most out of Scarlet, you'll need Super16mm lenses for 3K and 2K modes, and neither of those modes are 4K worthy. At the end of the day, as mentioned, the Scarlet's a good 2K@24P/30P camera.

People will begin to understand this as they use it and become frustrated that Scarlet really is a b-Cam for Epic.

The C300 shoots increments from 1 to 30 in 1080, and then increments from 1 to 60 in 720P. What it does not force you to do is crop your sensor to do so.

In that sense, and knowing the 720P mode or 1080i/60i modes will resolve plenty for a 1080P blow up/master, I'd prefer to have the C300 at my side.
Shooting a serial or something you have to edit ASAP and continually, the Canon wins. Those files are similar to current DSLR files edit wide, just way more pretty.

Now... about serials and features between Scarlet and C300. Let's put this out there: The Scarlet will not be as clean or as easy to work with in a feature film scenario where you do not have ample lighting to cover your ass.

I shot Superseeds on a pair of RED MX's @ 4.5K (a mode that scarlet does not have) and I expect it to slightly (very slightly) out perform MX cameras at 4K and 4K HD/QHD. In my experience, and just about anyone who ritually shoots RED will tell you this, the camera is not your friend unless you are feeding it crack--or light.

On our biggest day I had a 10 ton grip truck outside, thousands of watts of light, so on and so forth and there still wasn't enough light to clean up the image. At the end of the day, I am very thankful that 4K isn't the distro standard, because that entire scene will benefit from heavy denoising and being 2K.

The C300 will, for lack of a punchier descriptor, eat Scarlet's face when it comes to shooting on a budget. No questions asked. This is exactly why I want to shoot C300 for my next feature, as it's going to be experimental and I am using the smallest lighting package I have ever attempted.

This is the primary reason why the C300 is the tool for no-budget filmmakers. When you are short on light, and patience, this camera will allow you to continue to create on few candles.

To answer your final question, since if you couldn't afford a Scarlet then you probably couldn't afford this... I'd go 5D, it's the only camera with the cine look that's legitimately cheaper.

However, Paul is right: if you can't afford to buy a Scarlet you probably can't afford to buy a C300.

ANd back to the main question:

Or, let me ask it this way -- if you wanted to make a movie that you want to get into theaters, but you couldn't afford the Red, what would you shoot on?

The reality of it is that the camera really doesn't make a difference as to who gets into theaters or who doesn't. Granted, don't go and shoot SD or you'll just... shoot yourself in the foot, but we've already gotten plenty of proof that the 7D is good enough for a big screen sale.

I agree with Paul, with an added vote for a hacked GH2. If I do not get a C300, I will probably be shooting the next feature on a pair of hacked GH2's with PL Glass. Although this will cost more to do than it would cost for me to shoot Epic (which I'll use if I need slow-mo), I'm going for experimental and I know first hand that the GH2 will blow-up plenty fine for a projected release. Especially digital projection.

The 5D's advantage is sensor-size. Something I used to hate, but now embrace. If you're shooting on location (in your friends bedroom) being able to squish against a wall and still shoot wide with the 5D means you get a much more traditional, cinematic image. That's a good thing to have in our situation.

With the GH-2, I'm currently testing Super16 lenses which gives me the ability to shoot a 5.8/T2.4 without distortion. It's amazing, and fast, and would still give me the cinematic look that I'd be looking to shoot. THe set also is mostly comprised of T1.8's, which is stupid fast--means DOF will equal S35 DOF at the same focal lengths and distances, and F-Stops.

The Hack, basically, is incredible. I think it's the best sub 10K image your money can buy. Although I have to use ETC to be able to use S16 lenses, I did try the hack on a 25mm/T1.8 without ETC mode (crop mode) enabled and was floored by the results.

This is exactly why I'm going GH2 and PL Glass for the next feature.

I am probably not as 'informed' or up-to-date on high-end tech cameras as everyone else seems to be on Indietalk.com. I cannot afford a RED (and all the parts that it takes to make a whole, viable camera unit). I am also biased, cause I really like Sony equipment. I am still using several Sony DVcam cameras (from 1998-99) and I am clear on their peculiarities, pros and cons.

I hope to start shooting a new feature in Feb. 2012, wishing that I am able to afford and use one of the following three cameras (with their needed accessories).

Not cheap but impressive...

Camera 1 choice

Camera 2nd choice

Camera 3rd choice

Hope this helps... I am not rich or famous.

The reality of it is that the camera really doesn't make a difference as to who gets into theaters or who doesn't. Granted, don't go and shoot SD or you'll just... shoot yourself in the foot, but we've already gotten plenty of proof that the 7D is good enough for a big screen sale.

This is what I think too. It's hard to go wrong these days because everything is so cheap and so good.
I'll throw in for GH2, I'm a ETC fanboy too because of the reduced skew which is great if you do hand held and action stuff.

This is what I think too. It's hard to go wrong these days because everything is so cheap and so good.
I'll throw in for GH2, I'm a ETC fanboy too because of the reduced skew which is great if you do hand held and action stuff.

Dude... the ETC mode is killer with S16's... I am so very very sad that the image is too noisey when underlit. Did you hack your GH2?

So... dreamy... I wish this tech was around when I first started.

Thanks a bunch for the responses, guys. Very helpful. I particularly enjoyed Kholi's comparison of the Scarlet and the C300.

For the record, I guess I mis-spoke (mis-typed?). I mean I probably won't be able to afford shooting on the Epic. I might be able to do the Scarlet (or maybe the C300). I definitely plan to rent, not purchase.

I'm hoping to find a DP who is bringing his own equipment. Would be nice if I could find someone with one of these cameras whom I can afford.

I appreciate the suggestion of the GH2. I've also considered that as a possibility. One further possibility -- both the 5D and the GH2, depending on the needs of the day.

Cheers. Thanks again!

So, right now, the price hasn't been firmed. There're a lot of numbers bouncing around but it seems like it's going to be in the 15K range. Now, how does that compare to Scarlet?

That does change things a lot. I was basing that on the initial announcement day $20k price tag. For $20k, you could do a Scarlet with the expensive memory and batteries and what not.

Not arguing against the C300 at all, it's a pretty freaking nice camera. If it's closer to $15k then all the better. Still, if I was shooting a feature with a $15-20k camera package in before February, I'd probably go Scarlet.

With either of these cameras, you get a little extra publicity being the first to do a legit feature film with it with the media attention they're getting right now. Not a ton maybe, but at the indie level everything helps haha. That goofy model train video got way more views than it qualified, all because they shot and released it with the iPhone 4 on launch day.

Dude... the ETC mode is killer with S16's... I am so very very sad that the image is too noisey when underlit. Did you hack your GH2?

So... dreamy... I wish this tech was around when I first started.

I haven't fully embraced the hack yet, though I've played around with the 175 mb mega patch. It does intra frame and renders motions very nicely. I'm looking for the right hack, the sweet spot of performance and file size and stability.

That S16 glass sure sounds sweet. Are they expensive? Something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-16-1-...75080438?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item43a79fdbf6

Great thread. And Don's third choice, the Sony NEX-FS100UK Super 35mm Sensor Camcorder. Is the FS100 not a contender? At $5,600 it's more than a Mark II or a 7D or a GH2, but still a good deal more affordable than the C300 or the Scarlet.

Great thread. And Don's third choice, the Sony NEX-FS100UK Super 35mm Sensor Camcorder. Is the FS100 not a contender? At $5,600 it's more than a Mark II or a 7D or a GH2, but still a good deal more affordable than the C300 or the Scarlet.

Great call. I will definitely keep the FS100 in mind!

At one point I thought it would be, after using it I think the cam is okay. Just still wouldn't be my choice below 10K.

Certainly not a fan of how fast it clips highlights and The lack of built in NDs. The aliasing is kinda nasty as well. For 5600 I could put together a serious gh2 rig.

Resolving power bEing weak and the low DR.

Last edited:
At one point I thought it would be, after using it I think the cam is okay. Just still wouldn't be my choice below 10K.

Certainly not a fan of how fast it clips highlights and The lack of built in NDs. The aliasing is kinda nasty as well. For 5600 I could put together a serious gh2 rig.

Resolving power bEing weak and the low DR.

Sad to hear that. I think I actually loathe moire. Well, myself, I think I'd be a pretty happy camper with either a Mark II and a VAF-5D2 Optical Anti-Aliasing Filter or a GH2. I suspect I'd prefer the Mark II though...love the video I've seen with that great big sensor. But I also like the GH2, especially, so far, based on video I've seen with the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 Nokton Manual Focus Lens for Micro 4/3 Mount.

Kholi, can you direct us to some video you've seen shot with or share some of the video you've shot with those super16 lenses and the GH2?

Then again, Kholi wrote:

The 5D's advantage is sensor-size. Something I used to hate, but now embrace. If you're shooting on location (in your friends bedroom) being able to squish against a wall and still shoot wide with the 5D means you get a much more traditional, cinematic image. That's a good thing to have in our situation.

If I'm not mistaken, Gonzo recently bought and shot with a Mark II. It would be cool to hear what he and other Mark II users would suggest about it. Kholi, are you or Gonzo or other ITers using the VAF-5D2? 'Cause if it really works, then I would think that that would make the Mark II a pretty awesome camera...although still with those DSLR shortcomings. :(

But thinking about money, I guess you could get a GH2 which goes for about 1 grand new and the Voigtlaender lens, for example, which goes for about $1,200 new and I guess you'd still spend less than you would for a new Mark II -body only- which Best Buy, for example, is selling at present for about $2,300 and the VAF-5D2 which sells for $385 according to Mosaic Engineering's website. And then, you'd still need glass if you don't already have it for that camera. You could buy the body and the cheaper stock lens, or have to buy other ones.

And, really, great glass would be a real plus and very desirable for a feature, but, at those costs, is it really necessary? What would a feature shot with the GH2 and the cheaper stock zoom lens look like? Good enough?

I guess if you end up renting, those prices and comparisons won't matter either. After reading Kholi's post, I think I may be a C300 believer...I'm practically drooling here thinking about it. ;) Maybe renting that camera would be a smart choice.

Cracker, if you end up thinking about purchasing the Mark II and the VAF-5D2, I think it's handy that Mosaic Engineering has this page to help give you some idea when a person might actually get their hands on one of them.

Last edited:
Sad to hear that. I think I actually loathe moire. Well, myself, I think I'd be a pretty happy camper with either a Mark II and a VAF-5D2 Optical Anti-Aliasing Filter or a GH2. I suspect I'd prefer the Mark II though...love the video I've seen with that great big sensor. But I also like the GH2, especially, so far, based on video I've seen with the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 Nokton Manual Focus Lens for Micro 4/3 Mount.

I have a Mark II and trust me, we are in the same boat: I cannot stand the moire, aliasing, or the sub-par resolution. It makes me cringe. At one point, I did own two 7Ds, a 5D, and a GH-1 all at once. I wish the VAF-5D2 had been out then, but even now--as I look at it, it's not worth the money or wait to get one.

Mostly because it doesn't completely cure moire and it certainly doesn't help with any other issues that the 5D has inherently when recording video (inaccurate color reproduction, sub-standard resolution, over-heating, and more).

Again, though, between GH2 and 5D I don't think you can really go wrong.

Kholi, can you direct us to some video you've seen shot with or share some of the video you've shot with those super16 lenses and the GH2?

I've only had two days with the setup so far. I did shoot some of my feature, earlier this year, on the Gh2 pre-hack but that was with a Cooke 18-100/T3 and Duclos 11-16/2.8 (rehoused 11-16 Tokina).

As of now, the only footage I have uploaded was a request of how the grain structure looked with ETC activated and a Super16 lens.

http://vimeo.com/32881219

It's nothing special, just quickly done for a friend. I went out today to grab some more footage and will have something cut together soon.

Then again, Kholi wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, Gonzo recently bought and shot with a Mark II. It would be cool to hear what he and other Mark II users would suggest about it. Kholi, are you or Gonzo or other ITers using the VAF-5D2? 'Cause if it really works, then I would think that that would make the Mark II a pretty awesome camera...although still with those DSLR shortcomings. :(

I haven't used it, honestly. From the footage I've seen, it looks like a great asset to those who use the 5D enough and can justify the extra expense. In all honesty, I use RED more than anything else, and when I have to use 5D I just bite the bullet.

The hope is that I can put the GH2 to work more often than not, even though I love the huge sensor of the MK II.

But thinking about money, I guess you could get a GH2 which goes for about 1 grand new and the Voigtlaender lens, for example, which goes for about $1,200 new and I guess you'd still spend less than you would for a new Mark II -body only- which Best Buy, for example, is selling at present for about $2,300 and the VAF-5D2 which sells for $385 according to Mosaic Engineering's website. And then, you'd still need glass if you don't already have it for that camera. You could buy the body and the cheaper stock lens, or have to buy other ones.

The difference in cost you may eat when you have to go wide with the GH-2. There's no way I could live with this camera without at least having an 11-16/2.8. The preference is PL mount and utilizing something like an 8mm Zeiss Ultra Prime, or again, a set of Super16 lenses.

An 11-16/2.8 Nikon Tokina will probably run you 500.00, the second closest thing to it is a 20/1.7 Panasonic lens (made for 4/3" sensors) which costs about the same I think. If you're not like me and not the kinda person that loves to shoot wide, then it's not such a big deal.

This is where the MK II has an advantage, because the Video Crop out of the Full Frame is massive enough to roll with a 28/4 and never need anything wider. 28/2.8's are cheap cheap cheap.

And, really, great glass would be a real plus and very desirable for a feature, but, at those costs, is it really necessary? What would a feature shot with the GH2 and the cheaper stock zoom lens look like? Good enough?

The stock zoom is way too sharp and too contrasty for my tastes, however, for a doc that's the lens I would choose. Auto focus and image stabilization would help out tremendously. It's also variable (the 14-140 is what I'm speaking of, I did own that lens) which kinda hurts.

I guess if you end up renting, those prices and comparisons won't matter either. After reading Kholi's post, I think I may be a C300 believer...I'm practically drooling here thinking about it. ;) Maybe renting that camera would be a smart choice.

If you get a chance to shoot both and test, definitely do that. My experience is only that, my experience, and formulating your own is invaluable. I do know, though, that what looks good on paper doesn't necessarily look great on screen.

I am frothing, as well, to shoot C300... the DR, noise/grain pattern, small package, built-in NDs (no mattebox needed for me! I roll with black wrap and gaff tape) AND shooting to CF cards... that's what I want to be doing on the next feature.

All that said, seriously, you can't really go wrong with any cam these days. It'll boil down to personal taste and preference first, then ability to execute for your story and on your budget second.

And, just so noone thinks I'm a Canon hater, here's some of my old test footage. http://vimeo.com/12209296 -- Various very cheap lenses used and a Sigma 30/1.4 as well, on the 7D. I think you can get plenty out of any of 'em, I just prefer the 5D and Gh2 now's all.

Mileage may vary!

Last edited:
Conversation is good, opens up the mind to different paths.

I'm going to test the GH2 with Zeiss Standard Speeds (T2.1) over the next few days to see how it performs. Who knows, I could end up going over to a 5D setup after it's all said and done! I'm reminding myself of how beneficial it really is to be able to squeeze against a wall with a 24 or 28 on the camera and get something nice and wide.

And, 5D crops to 2.35:1 superb-like.

Conversation is good, opens up the mind to different paths.

I'm going to test the GH2 with Zeiss Standard Speeds (T2.1) over the next few days to see how it performs. Who knows, I could end up going over to a 5D setup after it's all said and done! I'm reminding myself of how beneficial it really is to be able to squeeze against a wall with a 24 or 28 on the camera and get something nice and wide.

And, 5D crops to 2.35:1 superb-like.

For sure. :)

I was thinking about it today. I think maybe I should amend my 2 cents about the GH2.

Well, myself, I think I'd be a pretty happy camper with...a GH2.

And maybe I would be. But I think that I haven't been honest with myself, for whatever reason, about my response to video I've seen shot with the GH2. Maybe I didn't want to allow what amounts to an abstraction, the knowledge that it has a micro 4/3 sensor to unfairly skew my judgement of it. I mean, I've watched enough (not so many though) to see that people have come up with some truly lovely stuff with the GH2.

But I've allowed myself to settle into denial of the simple fact that when I watch GH2 video it gives me a bit of a claustrophobic feeling. I mean, I think that a person can -and I do- perceive, feel the microness of the sensor. It feels pinched and scrunched...at least in comparison to video off of larger sensors.

So there's my more honest 2 cents about the GH2 video I've seen so far. I don't think I would be all that thrilled about buying a GH2. There, I said it. I feel cleansed. :D

Landscapes: Volume II by Dustin Farell

Not much claustrophia up there.

If I was in the market to buy a camera like Cracker will be, I would take your qualms about the FS100 very seriously, Kholi. And, Philip Bloom mentions a few little qualms with its user friendliness in his reviews too. I posted a link to this in another thread previously, but it's relevant here too. Philip Bloom comparing the AF100, the Sony F3, the Sony FS100, and the Mark II. At about 15:50 starts his (unscientific) comparison of those cameras and their moire. Looking at the brick wall, the F3 seems to handle it better than the FS100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyIEFWxxvc0&feature=relmfu

As much as I do loathe moire, presently I'm feeling like I would prefer the larger sensors of the Canon DSLRs, those Sonys, or those other bigger cameras coming out. I'm feeling like I'd rather get that warm, comfy, roomy feeling you get from those larger sensors and just live with a little moire or try to work around it if possible. Maybe I don't loathe moire so much as I thought. Or maybe the plusses of a large sensor could mitigate it enough for me.

I looked up some more FS100 video tonight. I'm not at all trying to sell it. But at this point I tentatively feel like even with its moire and noise shortcomings its look and feel is more appealing than what I've seen of the GH2 (and probably the AF100 as well). Those 35mm-ish sensors do just feel better to me. I posted links to a couple of videos shot with the FS100 on another thread. But I found a music video tonight that's good because it includes actors and an actual narrative that might help give a filmmaker a sense of what they might do with it. Yeah, I think there's a bit of moire in it. And, in the low-light night scenes in the bedroom and in the kitchen there seems to be quite a bit of noise. Maybe that's a shortcoming with that camera. But I wonder if you lit those scenes just a little more, maybe not quite what you'd want to have to do, maybe, but maybe it'd reduce some of that noise a bit. But I think overall it's pretty darn appealing.

Cozi: 'Vertigo' Music Video - by Den and James

I think the 5D still has a lot of appeal.

Last edited:
Back