A Life Across the Street - Super 8 Documentary Film

Hey everyone, I’m really excited to share the first trailer for a documentary feature that I have been working on the past 5 years which is shot entirely on super 8 film. A Life Across the Street is a film that examines life in its many intricacies through diverse viewpoints. The film focuses on personal experiences that are unique to each of us, while their deeper messages can resonate with all of us and inspire a sense of shared humanity.
This film has been shot primarily on Beaulieu 4008 ZMII cameras with various lenses, as well as a Nizo Professional and Nikon R10 using Kodak 50D, 200T, and 500T negative film. Processing by Metropolis Post and scans by Gamma Ray Digital.
Thanks for taking the time to watch!

Upvote 3
Came back to watch this one again. Really well done. I know first hand what it takes to put together something like that, and I really appreciate the years of hard work you've put in to create something genuine. It reminds me of Ron Frickie's work, which is about the biggest compliment I can give to a cinematographer.

Filmmaking like this only happens when people really love the art form itself. In a world full of people trying to take the fastest shortcut possible to attention or money or fame, It really stands out when someone makes a film purely because they have a vision they feel strongly about rather than as a route to internet clicks.

I hope your hard work and talent pays off, And I expect it will. It's not every day that someone makes something like this.

Last edited:
Love this! Beautifully filmed and edited. The choice of using super 8 for this project is spot on.
Thanks a lot! I knew before getting started on this that I wanted to do it on super 8 for a bit of a timeless feel, glad you enjoyed it!
Came back to watch this one again. Really well done. I know first hand what it takes to put together something like that, and I really appreciate the years of hard work you've put in to create something genuine. It reminds me of Ron Frickie's work, which is about the biggest compliment I can give to a cinematographer.

Filmmaking like this only happens when people really love the art form itself. In a world full of people trying to take the fastest shortcut possible to attention or money or fame, It really stands out when someone makes a film purely because they have a vision they feel strongly about rather than as a route to internet clicks.

I hope your hard work and talent pays off, And I expect it will. It's not every day that someone makes something like this.
Thanks Nate! Ron Fricke is probably my biggest inspiration as a cinematographer so that is a huge compliment and very appreciated. This project is very much a product of the love of the craft, as many people would ask why shoot on super 8 when you can do it digitally and alter it. For me it's much more about the process and the deliberate steps required to achieve something special. Thanks for taking the time to watch and share your thoughts!

I wish more people appreciated this niche genre, so that it could be more bankable for studios. Cinematography driven guided meditation? I've never really known what to call it, but I watch every movie in this genre 10x. Found Chronos in the local library as a kid, and then watched everything from Koyaanisqatsi to Samsara regularly.

It's not quite the same thing, but I'd recommend "microcosmos" if you're a fan of cinematography as an art. It's kind of faded into obscurity over the years, but it was actually widely circulated in it's day.

Here, found the film in HD for free in case you or any other reader would like to check it out. It's about an entire world that exists in a random field of grass in france.

Looking forward to seeing your completed film, please post a notification here when it releases.

Last edited:
I wish more people appreciated this niche genre, so that it could be more bankable for studios. Cinematography driven guided meditation? I've never really known what to call it, but I watch every movie in this genre 10x. Found Chronos in the local library as a kid, and then watched everything from Koyaanisqatsi to Samsara regularly.

It's not quite the same thing, but I'd recommend "microcosmos" if you're a fan of cinematography as an art. It's kind of faded into obscurity over the years, but it was actually widely circulated in it's day.

Here, found the film in HD for free in case you or any other reader would like to check it out. It's about an entire world that exists in a random field of grass in france.

Looking forward to seeing your completed film, please post a notification here when it releases.
Huge fan of this genre, I actually just attended a screening of Koyaanisqatsi two nights ago in NYC, always amazing getting to see these films on the big screen and with a proper sound system. Microcosmos is another fantastic one, incredible camera work. I think the genre for these films has an audience, but it can be hard to market them. I highly recommend them to anyone that hasn't watched!

Back