• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

A Few Last Questions:

Okay, I've reduced my screenplay down to 117 pages from 125. I've re-written much of it and am fairly happy with the results. I have just a few last questions before I wrap it all up.

CAPITALIZATION:

(1) This is a SciFi Adventure. Do I capitalize the names of areas on my starship (i.e., Engineering, Medical Lab 4, Bridge, Transporter Room)?

(2) Titles and Ranks. I know that if I write, "I am Captain Birdman." the C gets capitalized and if I write, "We have a new captain aboard our ship" the C is lower-case... But what if someone writes, "Hey, Captain, look over there!" -or- "Birdman is our Captain"... What then?

MOVIE RATING:

(1) To get my movie to a (PG-13) rating I would have to cut the living soul out of it. However, should I choose to do so, how many "fucks" and "shits" am I allowed to use? Tons of violence, but that doesn't seem to be as much of an issue from what I've researched.

(2) I have a character who drops her top and mounts a protagonist. Does a steamy wild ride on my protagonist by a boobs-only babe toss me in to (R) rating category?

EXPOSITION - "ON THE NOSE" DIALOGUE:

I recently watched "Sin City". Mickey Rourke's character "Marv" sits bound in a chair getting pistol-whipped by a hot, leather-clad chic. There are several chics in the room along with Marv. He takes numerous whacks to his face. He finally gets frustrated and stands up. The ropes fall from his body like they weren't even tied. He had secretly untied them while she was whacking away on him. One of the girls sees the ropes fall and says the following:

What the hell? I tied those knots myself! That's my specialty!
You sat there and took it,

Now, everyone in that room already knew she tied those knots. They were all there when she did it. It doesn't matter that it's her specialty or not - Who the hell cares? And they OBVIOUSLY know he sat there and took it. They stood there and watched him!

I consider this to be a clear case of GRADE-ONE "On-the-nose" Exposition ...yet I'm watching it displayed in a multi-million dollar movie spectacular by the all-knowing Quentin Tarantino who everyone declares the god of the modern screenplay.

Now, fast forward to MY screenplay.

I have a 6-person team of crash scene investigators who converge on a downed spacecraft near a lake. They're all looking around the crash area for clues. I have one of the team members find some tire tracks near the scene. The character shouts over to the other team members near the craft:

"I've got tire tracks over here!"

My script analyst guy literally blasted me for this calling it "On-the-nose" dialogue. It's not like they were all standing around the damned tire tracks, ya know?

If a group of people were searching for a lost girl and one of the people finds her shoe... Is it "On-the-nose" dialogue if he shouts out: "Hey, over here! I found her shoe!"?

(1) So is what I did technically "on the nose" dialogue or not? If it is, then why is it allowed and even celebrated in "Sin City"?

I swear this is one seriously fucked-up industry.

-Birdman

Okay, I've reduced my screenplay down to 117 pages from 125. I've re-written much of it and am fairly happy with the results. I have just a few last questions before I wrap it all up.

CAPITALIZATION:

(1) This is a SciFi Adventure. Do I capitalize the names of areas on my starship (i.e., Engineering, Medical Lab 4, Bridge, Transporter Room)?

(2) Titles and Ranks. I know that if I write, "I am Captain Birdman." the C gets capitalized and if I write, "We have a new captain aboard our ship" the C is lower-case... But what if someone writes, "Hey, Captain, look over there!" -or- "Birdman is our Captain"... What then?

I'll leave the other questions to the experts, but my answers to these would be:

1) I'd say the key thing here is to be consistent. If you want to define these areas as the sorts of places that would have a capitalised title on a plan of the starship, then capitalise them, but make sure you're consistent.

2) If the 'captain' is referencing a specific person, as a proper noun and a short form of their full titled name ("Hey, Captain, look over there!") then capitalise it. If the 'captain' is referring to a concept of captaincy (i.e. not one specific person), then leave it uncapitalised.

Thus: "The universally renowned Captain Birdman is the first avian captain of a Class 5 spaceship. His nest is adjacent to Transporter Room 3."

Thus: "The universally renowned Captain Birdman is the first avian captain of a Class 5 spaceship. His nest is adjacent to Transporter Room 3."

Thank you, Maz. Well put! I appreciate the extra effort in your colorful example. That's what makes it fun.

-Captain Birdman

(1) To get my movie to a (PG-13) rating I would have to cut the living soul out of it.
The screenplay does not determine the rating – the finished movie
does. Your script will be changed during production – the first cut
will be sent to the MPAA – they will issue a rating – the movie will
be cut several times again.

However, should I choose to do so, how many "fucks" and "shits" am I allowed to use?
There is no “rule” on how many words determine which rating the
finished movie will get. The rating will be determined by the finished
movie.

(2) I have a character who drops her top and mounts a protagonist. Does a steamy wild ride on my protagonist by a boobs-only babe toss me in to (R) rating category?
This depends on how the scene is shot. That scene could be shot in
a way to get a full NC-17 rating or a PG rating. How it is written in
the screenplay will not be a factor.

(1) So is what I did technically "on the nose" dialogue or not? If it is, then why is it allowed and even celebrated in "Sin City"?
You know what I'm going to say because I've said it to you often:
Your script analyst guy has a different criteria than a producer does.
Proof of that is in your example from a professional film. I suspect
that if your script analyst guy had read the script of “Sin City” he
would have said that dialogue was too “on the nose”. Miller would
have disagreed, left the dialogue exactly as he wrote it and then
directed the scene with the dialogue intact.

It isn't. But it's not the industry for you. You get contradictions all
the time because your screenplay is not being covered by the people
who have the power to option it and make a movie. When this happens;
when the people with the power to make your script into a movie
start reading it, THAT'S when it gets seriously fucked up.

You ain't seen nothing yet.

I believe there is a rule on the F word and rating. If you have two F words, your movie will be considered rated R, unless an exception to the rule is applied. Only four such exceptions were granted.

G rated films usually can have language beyond polite (i.e. heck, rats, dang, darn, shoot, and "fart"), but rarely, if ever, with profanity (and even then it's always mild). PG rated films may have mild profanity (i.e. damn and hell). PG-13 rated films may contain stronger language (bitch, shit, tits, etc.) and, depending on the target audience (rather than a film's actual age rating), one of the harsher sexually-derived words (such as fuck), provided that the word is not used with a sexual meaning. If the word fuck is spoken more than once or used sexually, it is routine today for a film to receive an R rating. There have been four exceptions to the "Two F-word" ruling noted so far: Bully, a 2011 documentary about bullying,[25] Gunner Palace, a documentary of soldiers in the Second Gulf War, has 42 uses of the word, 2 used sexually,[26] The Hip Hop Project has 17 uses,[27] and Philomena, a 2013 film, has two uses of the word.[28] The Ratings Board, with a two thirds majority vote, may rate such a motion picture PG-13.[29] Also, the word motherfucker cannot be spoken at all in films rated lower than R because it is too offensive; if used in a PG-13 film, the expletive part is always cut out, usually by a loud sound (e.g., Live Free or Die Hard and Alien vs. Predator). Any explicit and grotesque sexual dialogue will require an NC-17 rating; in some cases, an R rated film will contain some strong sexual dialogue (i.e. The To Do List).
Additionally, some notable PG films contain uses of the word fuck, including Big, Beetlejuice, All the President's Men, The Front, Spaceballs, Sixteen Candles,, Terms of Endearment, and Tootsie. The first two were released in 1988, four years after the PG-13 was introduced, whilst the last four were originally rated R for language, but their ratings were overturned on appeal;[30] Spaceballs was released in 1987 three years after the introduction of PG-13.

or read more for yourself here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion..._America_film_rating_system#MPAA_film_ratings

I found out about this rule when I watched directors argue about it on youtube. I can't remember what point they discuss it. I watched it too long ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49oZmT6Pif4

I don't agree with your script analyst. If there is no other way for your audience to know, then how the hell is the audience supposed to follow? Either yell out the tire tracks, or show the tire tracks, or do something else to the tire tracks so that the audience knows about it just when you want them to.

I have no more advice for you about this messed up industry Birdman. I'm not yet a part of it :grumpy:. I think it would be safe to agree with Rik. You probably ain't seen nothing yet

The screenplay does not determine the rating – the finished movie does.

...I figured as such, but I've also read from so many forum posters on how we spec scripters are supposed to cater to the producers and not have ANYTHING that would raise a red flag. If you leave in the rough language, all the posters say, "Nobody will buy your script. Who the hell wants to pay millions of dollars for a rated (R) SciFi to where the audience is limited by the rating?"

FWIW ...I'm leaving it in. It seems more natural and "true to life" with the rough language.

You know what I'm going to say because I've said it to you often:
Your script analyst guy has a different criteria than a producer does.
Proof of that is in your example from a professional film. I suspect
that if your script analyst guy had read the script of “Sin City” he
would have said that dialogue was too “on the nose”. Miller would
have disagreed, left the dialogue exactly as he wrote it and then
directed the scene with the dialogue intact.

...Why do I get the feeling you may have gone through the exact same thing that I have? Some of the points the guy made were correct, but I feel the entire meaning behind the script was lost because all the focus was spent finding technical issues. It's like a cop who pulls you over hoping to "find" something that you've done wrong.

It isn't. But it's not the industry for you. You get contradictions all
the time because your screenplay is not being covered by the people
who have the power to option it and make a movie. When this happens;
when the people with the power to make your script into a movie
start reading it, THAT'S when it gets seriously fucked up.

You ain't seen nothing yet.

So, after someone who has the power to make my script into a movie is when things get "fucked up", I guess I should be looking forward to things being fucked up? Because as it stands right now, I haven't found a single person who has taken my script the least bit seriously. I actually thought my wife would be somewhat interested because it's something creative that her husband has done... but not even that made the grade.

People are generally consumed with their own lives. Getting someone to take two full hours out of their life to immerse themselves in your creation is almost impossible. Getting a professional to do the same has proven to be even more difficult.

There is a strange "irony" I discovered when I wrote my script. It's a story about "hope". It's about someone who has their life pulled out from under them and they're left without a prayer. Then, just like in the magical world of "movies", things miraculously work out and my character ends up at a much higher level of life than she ever conceived possible. It's the basic sub-strata of a successful movies (and life in general).

Here I am, a completely unknown script writer at the lowest possible point within this industry. But I have this "hope" that a spec script writer can create something that breaks the stereotypical mold and actually gets made into a blockbuster movie ...against all the odds.

I'm living out the exact same "hope" philosophy I have keyed into my script for the last six months. Unfortunately, live doesn't seem to imitate art in this particular arena.

I think many posters here (yes, even you rik ;)) would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to see someone actually pull it off just to energize that feeling of creativity that seems to get lost within the cold, hard reality of life. There is still a small, tiny grain of "hope" that a nobody can pull off a miracle in the spec script industry, but reality (and Rayw's many anti-hope links) are always there to remind us all that miracles seldom happen in real life.

-Birdman

Last edited:
I believe there is a rule on the F word and rating. If you have two F words, your movie will be considered rated R, unless an exception to the rule is applied. Only four such exceptions were granted.

I saw the "Two Fuck Rule" posted in other forums. I tried to do it in my script, but I ended up using "Frickin'" in areas where it needed a harder word ...and it really sounded stupid when I did it.

I also wondered if it was like a sports draft where you can trade curse words for others ...like, "I'll trade you one "fuck", a set of boobs and a steamy sex scene for five "Shits", nine "Craps", one nipple and a curse word to be named later."

-Birdman

I think many posters here (yes, even you rik ;)) would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to see someone actually pull it off just to energize that feeling of creativity that seems to get lost within the cold, hard reality of life. There is still a small, tiny grain of "hope" that a nobody can pull off a miracle in the spec script industry, but reality (and Rayw's many anti-hope links) are always there to remind us all that miracles seldom happen in real life.
It does happen but it's very rare.

Universal Buys ‘The Disciple Program’ As Mark Wahlberg Vehicle
http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/universal-buys-the-disciple-program-as-mark-wahlberg-vehicle/

In a mid-six figure deal, Universal has acquired The Disciple Program, a spec script by first time screenwriter Tyler Marceca, in a package that has Mark Wahlberg starring and producing with Stephen Levinson.

...your script has to knock a reader off their seat, it has to be that good. Plus the concept and story needs to be one the execs think the market will buy into big time.

Another way in, is to place well in the Nicholl Fellowship in Screenwriting. Placing highly in the Nicholl will open doors that would otherwise be closed. Place in the Finals and many doors will open. To place well your story and screenwriting have to be at a very very high standard of course. I got into the Semi-Finals a few years back, managed to get quite a few tier one industry reads as a result.

Nicholl Fellowship in Screenwriting
http://www.oscars.org/awards/nicholl/

Last edited:
Indie,

I'm entering the Nicholl contest. I'm racing to get it 100% complete before I submit. One of the things I liked about the Nicholl is that they tend to focus on "Story" more than the tech. If that's the case, then I think I would have a better chance for success.

It's tough, though, when you get such a dismal review only a month earlier. I've re-written 85% of it, so hopefully I'll feel better about it later.

-Birdman

There is still a small, tiny grain of "hope" that a nobody can pull off a miracle in the spec script industry, but reality (and Rayw's many anti-hope links) are always there to remind us all that miracles seldom happen in real life.

Theatrically released feature films annually: 510.
http://www.worldcitiescultureforum.com/indicators/number-films-given-theatrical-release-country-year
"Los Angeles 510 2012 **************/Nash Information Services"

Spec screenplays in play at any given time: 250,000.
http://www.screenwriterunknown.com/screenwriting-observations/odds-of-selling-a-spec-screenplay
"50,000 spec screenplays written every year multiplied by 5 years in circulation = 250,000 spec screenplays."

Spec screenplays purchased annually: 126, 3yr avg.
https://www.specscout.com/2013specsales
"The 114th spec sale, made by Jeff Ross, caps off a year that found itself 18 shy of numbers reached in both 2011 and 2012."

However, 126 three-year-average spec screenplays per 250,000 in the circulation pool = 1/1984 opportunity any one given spec screenplay will be bought.
Then consider how many screenplays die in development hell and will never be seen.

Versus...

3/4 of theatrically released films are by writer-directors.

Guess why I hang out at Indietalk?
Trying to make my miracle happen.

Try to write something for Universal or WB!
http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/2014/01/2013-spec-script-sales-analysis-buyers.html

Last edited:
...I figured as such, but I've also read from so many forum posters on how we spec scripters are supposed to cater to the producers and not have ANYTHING that would raise a red flag. If you leave in the rough language, all the posters say, "Nobody will buy your script. Who the hell wants to pay millions of dollars for a rated (R) SciFi to where the audience is limited by the rating?"
I believe a writer should “cater” to producers. But only to the
producer who is writing the check. At the spec stage there is
no producer to cater to. You know how easy it is to change a
few words – so do all producers. All of them. If a producer loves
your script but feels the language is too harsh for the market
they are going after they will pay you to take the harsh words
out. People who say “Who the hell wants to pay millions of
dollars for a rated (R) SciFi to where the audience is limited by
the rating?” are fools.

...Why do I get the feeling you may have gone through the exact same thing that I have? Some of the points the guy made were correct, but I feel the entire meaning behind the script was lost because all the focus was spent finding technical issues. It's like a cop who pulls you over hoping to "find" something that you've done wrong.
I have never had a script analyzed by anyone. I have had producers
either buy or not buy. I have a very low regard to all “script analyst”
guys. You are correct; they are exactly like that cop. They earn their
living finding things you've done wrong and point it out. Producers do
not do that. Even though forum posters say they do.

Of course I would. There is more than a tiny grain of hope that a
“nobody” can sell a spec script. I don't know if you remember but
a while ago I gave you the hard, accurate statistics that prove it's
possible. It's not a miracle – it's a fact. It happens all the time.

No one said it was easy. And the final decision is arbitrary. A producer
likes or doesn't like your script, but not based on the same things a
script analyst guy is looking for. But it does happen.

EXPOSITION - "ON THE NOSE" DIALOGUE: I recently watched "Sin City". ... One of the girls sees the ropes fall and says the following: "What the hell? I tied those knots myself! That's my specialty!
You sat there and took it."

Now, everyone in that room already knew she tied those knots. They were all there when she did it. It doesn't matter that it's her specialty or not - Who the hell cares? And they OBVIOUSLY know he sat there and took it. They stood there and watched him!

I consider this to be a clear case of GRADE-ONE "On-the-nose" Exposition ...yet I'm watching it displayed in a multi-million dollar movie spectacular by the all-knowing Quentin Tarantino who everyone declares the god of the modern screenplay.

Now, fast forward to MY screenplay.

I have a 6-person team of crash scene investigators who converge on a downed spacecraft near a lake. They're all looking around the crash area for clues. I have one of the team members find some tire tracks near the scene. The character shouts over to the other team members near the craft:

"I've got tire tracks over here!"

My script analyst guy literally blasted me for this calling it "On-the-nose" dialogue. It's not like they were all standing around the damned tire tracks, ya know?

If a group of people were searching for a lost girl and one of the people finds her shoe... Is it "On-the-nose" dialogue if he shouts out: "Hey, over here! I found her shoe!"?

-Birdman
First, you're talking apples and oranges. "Sin City" was directed by the screenwriter. If you DIRECT what you WRITE as Frank Miller does (or even Tarantino for that matter), you can have a script that breaks "the rules". If YOU DIRECT your sci-fi, you can BREAK ANY RULE you want. It's really that simple.

Second, "the rules" are really guidelines. It's like having traffic lanes and signals. It's not too hard when you are on a two way street (short). However, if you have a four lane highway, it helps to know where you are on the road in relation to the other four cars around you. The lights and signs also help regulate the flow and give you information. Whether a 'cop' stops you and gives you a ticket depends on who you are, how bad the infraction, and the mood of the cop. And if you're also in the fraternal order (fire, police, etc.), you often get off with just a warning. The same is true for Hollywood writers.

Third, no, from what you said, it doesn't sound like you were being too expository. Calling attention to something by itself is not necessarily expository. However, it may given the rest of the conversation. For example:
Code:
EXT.  PARK - DAY
Three agents explore the area.  

Agent QUINN walks behind a bush, looks down and
stoops to see

a BLOODIED PIECE OF CLOTH hanging from a branch.

QUINN
      Over here.  There's a bloodied cloth.

Agents JAMES and DORELLE join him.

JAMES
       Do you think this blood is from our
       suspect?

QUINN
       The DNA analysis will prove that.  It
       looks like he tore his shirt running this
       way.

Dorelle pauses to see  something then moves towards 
the woods and points to some broken branches.

DORELLE
       The tracks lead this way.
Here the rest of the dialogue is just too spot on to what the audience already knows or suspects. It could be tightened up to:
Code:
EXT.  PARK - DAY
Three agents explore the area.  

Agent QUINN walks behind a bush, looks down and
stoops to see

a BLOODIED PIECE OF CLOTH hanging from a branch.

QUINN
      Over here. 

Agents JAMES and DORELLE join him.

JAMES
       Where was he racing to in such a
       hurry?  Was he entering or exiting the
       woods?

Dorelle pauses to see  something then moves towards 
the woods and points to some broken branches.

DORELLE
       This way.  Maybe we'll find some answers.
It's not effed up if you make your own script into a movie. It's not effed up if you're already a producer who likes working with specific talents who are known moneymakers. It can feel horribly effed up if you're on the outside trying to break in. You keep railing against the system where directors produce their own sloppy scripts as if aspiring screenwriters should write sloppy scripts and expect the same results. If you want the same results, you need to learn to direct and produce what you write. I can guarantee that you will get farther with a good story and a clean script with a producer. And if you have a way to get it into a producer's hands directly, you will be more successful moving up the food chain. It helps to have an "in" or an agent if you're not a director.

A producer wants a decent story that will turn a profit. The cleaner the script, often the less re-writing is needed. Some directors consider themselves better storytellers than screenwriters and feel it's their prerogative to change the script. Producers will often bow to director's because they actually make the movie that will generate revenue. It's no more effed up than you thinking it's your story so you should write it how you want. This industry is about egos. And the higher up the food chain, the bigger the egos. Everyone new to this industry needs to keep their egos in check starting out.

Just because you own an iPhone doesn't mean Apple's management gives a damn about your design ideas. Just because you pay to watch Hollywood movies, doesn't mean Hollywood's studios give a damn about your screenplay. New screenwriters do manage to get breaks. However, it involves networking with people who can get your name out there. A script, by itself, is only one piece of the puzzle to being successful. Here's how Marceca managed it: http://www.dailydot.com/entertainment/tyler-marceca-scriptshadow-the-disciple-program/.

I'm not a big fan of competitions but they can be helpful. However, it's a numbers game. If you go that route, be sure that previous winners are represented in your genre. Most of these are disproportionately represented in contemporary dramas and procedurals. Horror, fantasy and science fiction are infrequent among contest winners in general screenwriting contests. Big contests--Nicholls, Bluecat, etc.--have large entry pools. Smaller contests often give better opportunities but not all are legit. And while it can open doors, it doesn't guarantee you will sell the script. It can, however, earn you some credit and get people interested in reading your other scripts. Getting a producer interested to read your script is the challenge. Extremely difficult but not impossible.

If YOU DIRECT your sci-fi, you can BREAK ANY RULE you want. It's really that simple.

... If you direct the screenplay yourself and "break all the rules", and the RULES are designed to make sure your movie is of a high quality (and PROFITABLE) ...then your movie ends up a piece of shit and nobody pays money to see it. Otherwise, ...why have any rules at all?

If I'm a boxer and I decide I'm not going to block any hits, I'm just going to "break the rules" and punch, punch, punch, ...I can certainly do that. I'll be gone in the first round of whomever I end up fighting as a result.

What I'm saying is that if the "rules" are in place to guarantee the greatest potential for success, and you break the rules and STILL end up being totally successful ....then why were the rules ever there in the first place?

Whether a 'cop' stops you and gives you a ticket depends on who you are, how bad the infraction, and the mood of the cop. And if you're also in the fraternal order (fire, police, etc.), you often get off with just a warning. The same is true for Hollywood writers.

...It also depends on the "ego" of the cop that's pulled you over. If a cop pulls you over for something he thinks you did wrong and you clearly show him that you didn't ...the "ego" of the cop will start looking around for something else you may have done wrong ....just so he can walk away being the one who's right.

I could easily see someone who loves to find faults in other people's scripts because it makes them feel like they are operating at a much higher level. ....Like a self-initiated 'ego stroke".

You keep railing against the system where directors produce their own sloppy scripts as if aspiring screenwriters should write sloppy scripts and expect the same results.

...Now see, that's not the case at all! I'm just like any other poor slob out there wanting to design a quality screenplay. I don't want to "get away with" anything! I also don't want to "get away" with writing a sloppy script. All I want is there to be an agreed-upon philosophy (and format guide) that is universally accepted within the industry so I CAN supply a quality script.

All I want to do is KNOW what I'm supposed to do so that I can DELIVER exactly what is required of me!

Half the experts say "No address on the title sheet." The other half says, "put your address on the title sheet."

A part of my $99 script review was wasted because the analyst was part of the 50% who says, "No address on the title page." It was just "luck of the draw" that it turned out that way for me.

It's no more effed up than you thinking it's your story so you should write it how you want. This industry is about egos. And the higher up the food chain, the bigger the egos. Everyone new to this industry needs to keep their egos in check starting out.

...Every keystroke I'm typing in on my script is coming from one place... and ONLY one place. That's MY FRICKIN' BRAIN! It is 100% MY STORY! What happens to it after that is a totally different issue. But the truth is that it has to start somewhere... and that starting point is my FRICKIN' HEAD!

It is NOT fucked up to consider it my story. It would, however, be fucked up if I didn't take into consideration production issues that could happen if my script were made into a movie (like special effects or unfilmable scenes). Once it is purchased and a producer whacks away at it, I understand that the party is pretty much over for me. But until that producer starts making his changes ...it's MY story!

I'm not a big fan of competitions but they can be helpful. However, it's a numbers game. If you go that route, be sure that previous winners are represented in your genre. Most of these are disproportionately represented in contemporary dramas and procedurals. Horror, fantasy and science fiction are infrequent among contest winners in general screenwriting contests. Big contests--Nicholls, Bluecat, etc.--have large entry pools. Smaller contests often give better opportunities but not all are legit. And while it can open doors, it doesn't guarantee you will sell the script. It can, however, earn you some credit and get people interested in reading your other scripts. Getting a producer interested to read your script is the challenge. Extremely difficult but not impossible.

...As a nobody script writer who may end up being a "one trick pony" the contest route is probably my only option. I agree about the "genre" issue in these contests. I can clearly see the Nicholl Fellowship is a drama-oriented contest ....but I have to start somewhere.

If I were to summarize, I have found WAY too much discrepancy within the ENTIRE script writing industry as compared to other walks of life. There are far too many "conflicting views" as to what is proper format and what is not. If the industry can't come together at the most basic level (proper script format) and have a clear set of scripting guidelines ...then I'm sticking to my evaluation that the entire industry is fucked up.

Thanks for the in-depth replies! I really DO enjoy the opinions expressed by you and several others.

-Birdman

Last edited:
FSF:

A comment on your examples of non-on-the-nose dialogue:

I have seen many, many posts where people dissect people's dialogue to eliminate the unnecessary prose and needless words. Here's something else I've noticed in this industry:

(1) Whenever someone posts their dialogue sequences in these forums, usually 75% of the words gets whacked out of whatever the characters are saying.

An exchange between two characters is often whacked down to the point where they say the following:

Code:
     JOE
   Where's Bob?

SAM
   Gone.

JOE
   Why?

SAM
   Dunno.

JOE
   What should we do?

SAM
   Beats me.

...This is deemed as more "believable dialogue" in most case, but people don't really speak this way. If they do they are boring fucks that nobody really wants to hang around with ...but we "noob writers" are scared to fucking death to add even one single additional word to our dialogue for fear that the "On the nose" dialogue gods will spill their wrath upon our scripts.

Case in point:

(2) I'm currently watching "Saving Mr. Banks". The dialogue in this movie is TOTALLY SATURATED with words words words words words! P.L. Travers (main character) responds in scene after scene with dialogue so complex, witty, and sharp that is difficult for mortal human beings to even keep up with. I doubt seriously that anyone could EVER spew out words so well articulated and strung together with such Shakespearian expertise ...yet there it is right up there on the silver screen!

It's not enough that she responds to other people in such unbelievable fashion ...but she even talks to herself this way when nobody is standing around her.

Truth Time:

If I wrote a screenplay like this and posted it up in these threads, you guys would be "whacking away" at P.L. Travers' dialogue until she ended up talking like in the example I posted above saying, "Birdman, NOBODY talks that way in real life!"

-Birdman

Last edited:
One More Point:

My wife couldn't find her "FitBit" this morning and was running around looking for it. I found it down in the basement. When I found it I told her, "I found your FitBit. You left it in the basement on top of the washing machine." Now, this was a REAL LIFE happening. That's what I said to her.

Had I wrote this as Dialogue:

Code:
          BIRDMAN
    I found your FitBit.  You left it
    in the  basement on top of the
    washing machine.

The next "whacking" would have resulted in:

Code:
          BIRDMAN
    I found your FitBit.  In the basement
    on the washing machine.

The next "whacking pass" would have resulted in:

Code:
          BIRDMAN
    I found your FitBit.

The next one:

Code:
          BIRDMAN
    Found it.

....There is no doubt in my mind that numerous follow-up post would have whacked my response down to mere nothingness with the end result being:

Code:
          BIRDMAN
    Here.

...even though that's not what happened in "real life". People would have suggested I reduce it down to a more "believable" phrase.

-Birdman

Last edited:
Birdman,
I don't know why you're arguing with FSF for. He made some absolutely brilliant points. You need to calm down, have some coffee or tea, and read his post again.

If you like rules, and you want to maximize potential by following the rules, do it.

In the event that you don't care for rules, AND, you are producing / distributing / financing your movie yourself, you have the option to break rules if you so please, because you don't need anybody's permission. If you want to "maximize" whatever, then go back to previous sentence, and follow the rules. I don't understand the confusion.

You can break / follow rules do whatever you want, when it's your project. That's all he is saying. Whether it's wise to do so if you wish to maximize this or that, he did not address. He is just talking about when you absolutely have to follow rules, and when you may decide that you don't give a hoot about them. That's all. It's possible for people not to wish to maximize profits, and not follow the rules. Why? I don't know. But it's possible. And it's possible when it's your project. That's all he is saying, since you seem to be upset at the rules.

Cheers

Trueindie,

It's interesting that much of this is about "Dialogue" as in "people talking to each other" ...because I don't think you read a single word of any of my responses. If you did, you would not have written what you just did.

-Birdman

All I want is there to be an agreed-upon philosophy (and format guide) that is universally accepted within the industry so I CAN supply a quality script.

This is still where you're going wrong, though, IMHO. Screenwriting is a creative enterprise, and there are seldom any useful rules in creative enterprises. In fact, great innovations in any creative enterprise come from someone breaking rules. This isn't programming, where certain bits of code have to slot into a structure in a certain order or the whole thing falls apart. What works perfectly in one screenplay may not work in another. Similarly, what works for one screenwriter (especially a famous one) will not necessarily work for another.

What makes it worse is that it's a creative enterprise with a business enterprise attached, which means that what works in one year won't necessarily work two years down the line, depending on what else has been released in the interim, or which actor is currently hot, or a hundred other variables.

Trying to find structure in creativity is a fool's errand. Tell a good story, put it across well, and then hope and pray that it's seen by the right people. There's not a lot more to it than that, really. Nobody's going to turn down an amazing opportunity because it has/doesn't have an address on the title page.

Last edited:
Tell a good story,
put it across well, and
then hope and pray
that it's seen
by the right people.

There's not a lot more to it than that, really.

Nobody's going to turn down an amazing opportunity because it has/doesn't have an address on the title page.
+1
Yup.

And, if you must, put your email, not your mailing address, on the title page.
And probably not even that, especially for competitions, and for actual jobs you'll have your agent rep your screenplay to studios, so again probably not even that.

What I'm saying is that if the "rules" are in place to guarantee the greatest potential for success, and you break the rules and STILL end up being totally successful ....then why were the rules ever there in the first place?

"The rules" developed over time from what plays well on the screen. Just like the hemline of skirts, the interpretation of the "rules" reflects the community. The previous post about ratings and use of swearing is an example. But more importantly you are mixing up two different concepts--the script and the movie.
The script--by the writer--is not the part that makes money. The movie--by the director--is what makes the money. In the past the writer and the director were often different. The trend today is they are one and the same.

"The rules" don't dictate whether a script is "good" or not. Just as speed limit signs don't dictate whether you're a good driver or not. We all know some areas are speed traps and drive carefully. Other times, we can go a little faster because the stretch of road is long and vacant.

A movie is a realization of a script that uses the talents of the director, actors, and many behind the scenes talents. Poor scripts can sometimes be saved by good directing, acting and editing. Equally, an awesome script can be ruined by poor performances.

There are a different set of "rules" for visual media--camera angles, depth of focus, shot composition, audio and visual effects planning, etc. These are the MONEY MAKERS. And if I'm the writer/director I get to put all that into my script. If I'm not, I can suggest it. The closer my vision is to the director's, the more likely my script will be realized as I wrote it. However, all those elements cost money. Often the director and the producer need to do what is financially possible.

The rules for writing reflect what has worked well in finished films over the years, just as the rules for filming have evolved. They aren't static which is why they are "best practice guidelines". Anyone driving the highway in the city knows that that 55 mph is just a recommended speed given everyone else rushing past you. But driving through smaller towns, you might want to be a bit more conservative. It's about experience. These guidelines help new writers and are not intended as fetters. Nor do they make a mediocre script great. Highways riddled with potholes are still bad driving.

... I could easily see someone who loves to find faults in other people's scripts because it makes them feel like they are operating at a much higher level. ....Like a self-initiated 'ego stroke".

I agree and that unfortunately happens. It's true everywhere though. I'm sure you've received "helpful" advice from other artists regarding your oil paintings. To be a screenwriter requires a thick hide and belief in your own ability to push forward.

... I also don't want to "get away" with writing a sloppy script. All I want is there to be an agreed-upon philosophy (and format guide) that is universally accepted within the industry so I CAN supply a quality script. All I want to do is KNOW what I'm supposed to do so that I can DELIVER exactly what is required of me!

Writing a script "by the rules" doesn't make it quality. It produces a well formatted script.
Writing a script "using the formula" doesn't make it quality. It produces a predictable script.

It's like creating a scene with Bob Ross. Following his techniques produces works that resemble realistic natural scenes that makes amateurs feel like accomplished artists. Artists can take some of those techniques and create their own works. "Real artists" say Ross just sold techniques and the paintings are just cliche. Yet many people like cliche. It makes them feel talented. These "formulas" and "rules" do the same thing. They help give new writers confidence and organize their efforts so they do resemble "real screenplays".

I can only offer my five observations:
FSF #1: Have a solid story concept that is well laid out so that there are no plot holes.
FSF #2: Use screenwriting software to format your script and consult Trotter's Screenwriter's Bible on questions of advanced formatting.
FSF #3: Have others read your script outloud to hear the flow of dialogue.
FSF #4: Expect you will need to re-read and revise your script several times before you're ready to submit.
FSF #5: Be active in filmmaking locally to get a feel for what works well on the camera.

Half the experts say "No address on the title sheet." The other half says, "put your address on the title sheet." A part of my $99 script review was wasted because the analyst was part of the 50% who says, "No address on the title page." It was just "luck of the draw" that it turned out that way for me.

Honestly, it doesn't matter unless it's for a contest in which they explictly do not want information that would bias a reader. NO PRODUCER/READER will pass on a script because of an address on the first page. Let's be sensible. There are producers who will only accept from Canadian writers or similar. That's the writer's bad for not checking that out before submitting.

...Every keystroke I'm typing in on my script is coming from one place... and ONLY one place. That's MY FRICKIN' BRAIN! It is 100% MY STORY! What happens to it after that is a totally different issue. But the truth is that it has to start somewhere... and that starting point is my FRICKIN' HEAD!

I agree. My point is that they are indifferent to your concerns because once it's in their hands, it becomes their story. That indifference is what can feel frustrating to me as the ORIGINATOR of the STORY. The "game" is making the script enticing so it is produced close to my original version. Some screenwriters obsess about "their story" when, after the sale, it no longer is.

...As a nobody script writer who may end up being a "one trick pony" the contest route is probably my only option. I agree about the "genre" issue in these contests. I can clearly see the Nicholl Fellowship is a drama-oriented contest ....but I have to start somewhere.

Just don't take it hard if you don't make it. I've read many excellent scripts that never place. With any contest, there can only be a handful of winners. You might also query local production companies like "Silver Chain Films" in Louisville to see if they'd be willing to read your script. Really, Birdman, volunteer to be on a set and help out. I know their focus is horror but from the description, your script straddles that horror/sci fi line. Also, try writing some other scripts. Pinning all your hopes on one script will only limit your opportunities.

If I were to summarize, I have found WAY too much discrepancy within the ENTIRE script writing industry as compared to other walks of life. There are far too many "conflicting views" as to what is proper format and what is not. If the industry can't come together at the most basic level (proper script format) and have a clear set of scripting guidelines ...then I'm sticking to my evaluation that the entire industry is fucked up.

Thanks for the in-depth replies! I really DO enjoy the opinions expressed by you and several others.

-Birdman

I'd have to say the same is true for art. I mean cubism? pointillism? abstract? pop? WTF? Can't they just settle on a style? I mean Bob Ross taught me how to make realistic landscapes with happy little clouds. That's REAL art. My teacher said that perspective is weenies. Another said that the color wheel is 19th century and should be banned. Both have works in major galleries. When I studied piano and I had to learn scales and modes. I studied counterpoint and harmonic progressions and then later found out those weren't used by "real" musicians who went on gut instinct. Who do I believe?

If I follow all the rules, I end up with happy little clouds reflected over gently bubbling streams that look realistic. I have I-IV-V-I compositions that are harmonious to the ear. These are effin' masterpieces! OK, so I didn't go to Juillard or Pratt but watched the videos. Why aren't I in the gallery or being played in concert halls? The entire art and music industry is effed up!

FSF:
(1) Whenever someone posts their dialogue sequences in these forums, usually 75% of the words gets whacked out of whatever the characters are saying. ... we "noob writers" are scared to fucking death to add even one single additional word to our dialogue for fear that the "On the nose" dialogue gods will spill their wrath upon our scripts.

On-the-nose is when the characters say what is already seen and known. A director will cut it out. If an exchange basically says nothing, yeah, lots of the words will be cut. From research studies, nearly 50% of general conversation is redundant. Back in the days of plastic film, time was major money. Dialogue was kept to what was needed to move the scene. FROM THE DIRECTOR'S PERSPECTIVE, they are encouraged to have the characters do something without saying a word. Film is primarily visual. That's the problem for most new writers is they feel compelled to have dialogue.

(2) I'm currently watching "Saving Mr. Banks". The dialogue in this movie is TOTALLY SATURATED with words words words words words! P.L. Travers (main character) responds in scene after scene with dialogue so complex, witty, and sharp that is difficult for mortal human beings to even keep up with. I doubt seriously that anyone could EVER spew out words so well articulated and strung together with such Shakespearian expertise ...yet there it is right up there on the silver screen! It's not enough that she responds to other people in such unbelievable fashion ...but she even talks to herself this way when nobody is standing around her.

Truth Time: If I wrote a screenplay like this and posted it up in these threads, you guys would be "whacking away" at P.L. Travers' dialogue until she ended up talking like in the example I posted above saying, "Birdman, NOBODY talks that way in real life!"

-Birdman
John Lee Hancock, who directed "Saving Mr. Banks", served as a production assistant on "My Demon Lover". He was writer/director of "Hard Time Romance". He was involved with a couple other projects, one a television series he helped to write, direct and produce. Mr. Hancock is a successful writer, director and writer/director following the career progression I mentioned earlier.

Ms. Marcel has several credits having worked as an actress as well as being writer & producer of the TV show "Terra Nova". Her co-writer, Ms. Smith has a well established history working in Australian TV.

Truth Time: Dialogue needs to be appropriate to the character. If you had over twenty years of writing experience under your belt as they do, especially having to write for television which is a much more structured medium, you would know the proper tone, length, and content.. Working as an actor, as Ms. Marcel has done, informs your writing. Experienced writers use dialogue with a purpose.

On any Internet forum you will find people with limited experience willing to chime in what they've read or think without any experience to back it up. When you hear from people who have written and directed, like Directorik and others, you're getting feedback based on experience. Directors and writers who've worked on sets read scripts differently than screenwriters who've never set foot on a production.

One More Point:

My wife couldn't find her "FitBit" this morning and was running around looking for it. I found it down in the basement. When I found it I told her, "I found your FitBit. You left it in the basement on top of the washing machine." Now, this was a REAL LIFE happening. That's what I said to her.
.... There is no doubt in my mind that numerous follow-up post would have whacked my response down to mere nothingness with the end result being:

Code:
          BIRDMAN
    Here.

...even though that's not what happened in "real life". People would have suggested I reduce it down to a more "believable" phrase.

-Birdman
"I found your FitBit. You left it in the basement on top of the washing machine." It's obvious that you found it since you're holding it. Is it relevant that the washing machine is in the basement? If so, did the audience see the washer in the basement in a previous scene? I mean, obviously Mrs. Birdman knows where the washer is so I don't need to tell her it's in the basement. Since I'm handing it to her, it's obvious to her that I found it. So the root essence I need to convey is "It was on top of the washer."
Code:
Mrs. Birdman rushes about and

Birdman reaches up and touches her arm.

She pauses as he smiles and holds up the fitbit.

BIRDMAN
       It was on top of the washer.

She brightens, takes it, goes to leave ...

she returns, kisses his cheek and dashes off.

He smiles to himself before sipping his coffee.
If important, I could say "Your fitbit was on top of the washer." or even "Happen to leave this on the washer, dear?" Here the tone of the character is important. But that tone would have to carry through the entire script. Dialogue is difficult. It needs to be purposeful in setting the context of character, location, and period. And it is the most problematic. When there is only a small piece to evaluate, it can seem the recommendations to cut dialogue feel arbitrary.

When I'm acting, the director often gives us discretion to change the dialogue to make it feel natural for the scene. The director will give me the script, I will learn the lines. When actually in the shoot, if the dialogue feels wrong or is awkward, the director may give some suggestions or I may put out my own ideas. As the actor, I'm interpreting dialogue. I'm telling you this because if you keep worrying about getting the dialogue right, you're misspending your efforts. Dialogue helps me to get a sense of my character. My role as an actor is to take the words and actions and make them believable.

Before you go off, "Fine! A fellow screenwriter doesn't even respect the script when he's acting!" you need to understand. When acting, I'm focused on MY ROLE--to breath life to your script. I believe screenwriters should take acting lessons if they want to improve their dialogue skills. The more industry savvy you become, the more you maximize your opportunities.

Back