A Backup Plan

Take out a loan? Credit cards? Mortgage?

Not a fan of debt, but if you really believe your project can return it then...

The biggest success stories usually result from taking a big risk. Then again, so do failures haha.

Sorry, wish I could be more help.

Are you referring to the project not being funded?

Or it gaining successful funding and not finding a return?

If it's the latter, although it would be disheartening, it doesn't make a difference.

Where are you going to advertise your project? What forums? Which bloggers (of your genre) have you contacted? Which Sci-fi comic/magazine have you contacted? Have you contacted your local newspaper/radio station?

Here's a couple bullet point reminders I made after listening to a recent Crowdfunding video.

• Who are the fans that want to see the movie?
  • What blogs do they read?
  • What forums do they visit?
  • BE AUTHENTIC.
  • Ask for their feedback
  • PEOPLE CONTRIBUTE TO PEOPLE. NOT IDEAS.
  • Why does the film need to be made?
  • Why is it important that YOU are making it?
  • Talk about who is behind the film, give it character. Personalise. Story behind the story.
  • Track down specific bloggers for YOUR film GENRE.

MISTAKES

• Not making your pitch personal
  • Not having Great perks
  • Not finding "Partners" e.g Film bloggers, Critics.

Research is the key to the correct marketing strategy.

These days, with the right friends and a little cooperation, you can make a feature for a few hundred dollars. If you have the right script, you won't need crowdfunding!

I'm referring to kickstarter failing. The minimum not getting reached, so there is no pay out to help fund a production. I'm in private discussions with a friend in the same boat. In my case, I'm cofunding the production. Many others are depending on kickstarter for all of their funding.

I'm referring to kickstarter failing. The minimum not getting reached, so there is no pay out to help fund a production. I'm in private discussions with a friend in the same boat. In my case, I'm cofunding the production. Many others are depending on kickstarter for all of their funding.

All Kickstarter campaigns- or any funding scheme for that matter- are there because they're needed. Whether you're co-funding or not, it has no bearing on the success of your Kickstarter. There's no descrepancy. Infact, if you take the time to look at as many Crowdfunding campaigns as I do, you'll see that there are just as many people pursuing an entire budget, as there are those pursuing specific sections of their budget. (Meaning they've funded the rest themselves)

Unless you go the whole hog with Crowdfunding, you're not going to raise the cash. It's alot of work. It's not encouraging that you're already asking for back-up plans, with there so much information from sucessfull pitches, endlesses pages of advice on Crowdfunding, and how to do it sucessfully. I'd -and i'm saying this from what i've got out of your previous threads on this project- urge you, to think long and hard if you've researched into Crowdfunding enough. Because the entire outing is going to be a waste of your time if you don't go at this 100%, but when I hear you express fears that you can't raise a section of your budget, then I immediately begin to think you haven't done your homework.

I know you're passionate about this project. So, i'm saying this with the business hat on, not the writers (Because i've been there, trust me) Have you researched crowdfunding enough, have you spoken with critics, bloggers, magazines, all the outlets that will be vital to the success of your campaign that I've already mentioned, are you fully aware of the extent of the effort that is necessary?

Because one week I see a thread about polishing a pitch, the next I see one asking for alternate routes. I'm just a little confused as to whether the correct advice is going onboard, and the effort that goes with that is being registered.

I'm in no way saying do not have a back-up, but this feels a little more like a retreat for an easier route, when the reality is they are just as tough as eachother.

What myself and my friend are seeing are arthouse stuff getting the funding over movies and videos with more mainstream plots and stories.

My firend's video dots all of it's "i"s and crosses all of its "t"s and her production is not doing much bettet than mine.

PaulGriffith's suggestions seem to be one solution that I have already considered. I already spent more than a few hundred dollars even with friends help because we need to but necessary equiptment that costs that much.

Another solution is what my friend has in mind is to shoot what she can for zero budget and hope that the footage can attract funding later.

@MDM: You haven't really tried yet.

I know you posted a thread on IT and I've seen a couple of Facebook and Twitter updates, but that's really half hearted compared to what you need to do.

You've set yourself a very achievable target, you just need to get selling. At the moment it looks to me like you've seen that not many people have been interested in funding it from what you've done so far and so you're looking for different routes. The correct reaction should be to wonder what you're doing wrong!

Why doesn't this thread carry a link to your campaign?
Why isn't there a link to the campaign in your signature?
Why haven't you emailed film blogs, websites, podcasts...etc trying to get them to promote your campaign?
Why haven't you started to 'properly' use Twitter?

Don't start looking for 'alternative routes' until you've exhausted the possibilities of this one.

It is easier going into debt, that's for sure. However, if you don't have a past track record of your movies making money, then i would highly suggest that you don't consider it, not at all.

I still feel this isn't going through. I'm not sure what else I can say.

Can I ask whether you've posted the Kickstarter already?

What myself and my friend are seeing are arthouse stuff getting the funding over movies and videos with more mainstream plots and stories.

With the little research I've been doing with crowd funded sites, I've found this as well. I actually think it's a good thing, and most probably reflects the audience's wish for more works which take risks.

I was just wondering if, for example you see your crowdfunding isn't working out as well as planned, and you have for example 9k of 10k which are required for you to get the money.
Ethics aside, is it possible to give a friend 1k to invest in the film, which you will get back anyways, + the other 9k which would have otherwise flown out the window?

I have been trying in more ways that IT, Facebook, and Twitter. The other backer I have came from a Fembot fan site I posted on.

If we can get past the point of being unknowns, fans can carrying us with crowd funding. There are articles I've read on the Internet that say one of our biggest challenges is to create a loyal fan base.

Back