• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

7d & CS3

I don't know if this is the right section but I'm trying to figure out what presets I should set the CS3 to when editing with a 7d. When I finish the editing the videos end up not being 720 or 1080 anymore. I'm just trying to figure out how to set everything before hand to preserve the quality of the files...

edit: I probably should of post this in the HD section, so if a mod wants to close this thread go ahead...

Last edited:
I was looking into a similar issue a while back (before I had gotten my hands on CS5), and people kept directing me towards Cineform Neoscene

http://www.cineform.com/neoscene/

I can't be sure, but I have a feeling this is what you're looking for. It takes time to convert the footage, and it requires significantly more storage, but it will allow you to edit DSLR footage with software that doesn't handle it in it's native state.

Or, something.

Unless you have CS5, which i dont yet and hear takes considerable computer power and graphics to run smoothly, for DSLR's neoscene is the way to handle your footage so you can convert it and then edit it in older premiere versions and preserve quality.

Unless you have CS5, which i dont yet and hear takes considerable computer power and graphics to run smoothly, for DSLR's neoscene is the way to handle your footage so you can convert it and then edit it in older premiere versions and preserve quality.

As far as dedicated editing computers are concerned, mine is pretty-much entry-level.

Dual-core Athlon 3.1
GeForce GT220
4GB RAM
2TB internal, 1TB external storage
Some kind of Asus motherboard (don't remember, off the top of my head, but it's not an expensive one)

Anyway, my computer, with CS5, handled the DSLR footage (native format), not exactly smoothly, but good enough to get the job done.

I can't watch more than about 30-seconds of edited footage, in CS5, without it getting jumpy. This was annoying, yes, but it didn't ruin anything for me. As far as watching the overrall flow of an entire scene, the jumpiness didn't get in the way of getting a feel for the rhythm and timing of a scene.

The only time jumpiness would matter is if I'm looking at matching two particular shots. But in that sense, it's not an issue because I'm typically not looking at anything longer than a few seconds long, when cutting from one shot to the next. In fact, the most crucial examination is done on a frame-by-frame basis.

So, point being, yes I would've liked to have a more powerful computer that would be able to handle the footage, without getting jumpy. But if there is anyone out there who is in my shoes, I just want to say that it can be done on something less-powerful.

Maybe my experience would have been better, had I converted to neoscene? We'll never know...

Last edited:
As far as dedicated editing computers are concerned, mine is pretty-much entry-level.

Dual-core Athlon 3.1
GeForce GT220
4GB RAM
2TB internal, 1TB external storage
Some kind of Asus motherboard (don't remember, off the top of my head, but it's not an expensive one)

Anyway, my computer, with CS5, handled the DSLR footage (native format), not exactly smoothly, but good enough to get the job done.

I can't watch more than about 30-seconds of edited footage, in CS5, without it getting jumpy. This was annoying, yes, but it didn't ruin anything for me. As far as watching the overrall flow of an entire scene, the jumpiness didn't get in the way of getting a feel for the rhythm and timing of a scene.

The only time jumpiness would matter is if I'm looking at matching two particular shots. But in that sense, it's not an issue because I'm typically not looking at anything longer than a few seconds long, when cutting from one shot to the next. In fact, the most crucial examination is done on a frame-by-frame basis.

So, point being, yes I would've liked to have a more powerful computer that would be able to handle the footage, without getting jumpy. But if there is anyone out there who is in my shoes, I just want to say that it can be done on something less-powerful.

Maybe my experience would have been better, had I converted to neoscene? We'll never know...

Tx for the info! I want to know the minimum i can get away with for CS5. Mostly i just find optimum specs online.

I have to upgrade next year and i still dont know whether its going to be a new PC and CS5 or im going to switch to a Mac and FCP.

How about a Mac and CS5?

I run a Mac Pro with CS5 and FCP and I can tell you CS5 is way more full featured than final cut. It handles DSLR great and you still get the stability of OSX.

Yeah, thats a really good idea. Ive been thinking about that.

Ive never used FCP's color correcter but i heard it is way better than Premiere's. Any experience or thoughts about that?

Im not talking about any plug ins, just the in house color corrector.

Thanks!

I really dislike "Color" in the Final Cut Suite, maybe the least user friendly program i've ever used.
It uses a node system and personally I much prefer layers.

After Effects does all the same stuff, just has different names for filters and and a different method of doing it. After Effects might be missing actual meters (video waveform and vectorscope) but I think Premiere might have them? I forget, I don't use them often haha :)

I have Magic Bullet too. At least the free, less preset version that came as a "bonus" when I bought CS5. It's not great either. The presets never seem to match my video so I end up doing it manually with much better results.

I really dislike "Color" in the Final Cut Suite, maybe the least user friendly program i've ever used.
It uses a node system and personally I much prefer layers.

After Effects does all the same stuff, just has different names for filters and and a different method of doing it. After Effects might be missing actual meters (video waveform and vectorscope) but I think Premiere might have them? I forget, I don't use them often haha :)

I have Magic Bullet too. At least the free, less preset version that came as a "bonus" when I bought CS5. It's not great either. The presets never seem to match my video so I end up doing it manually with much better results.

Al right, thanks for the info! Ill keep it in mind when making my decision!

Back