• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch 5D/7D Short Film Thread.

I was just about to suggest this thread get started, these cameras are crazy good. Luckily we've got our hands on a 5D with some killer lenses, so I'll have something up within a couple of weeks to drool over.

I'll scout out for some later tonight, I'll leave you to take the screening room man :)

Last edited:
5D is such an amazing camera <3. Really digging the lensbaby as well. Awesome short.

I'm finishing up a short with the 5D now, hopefully I can be done by the weekend.

OK, Sara and Sandy (in the OP) had a lot of cool shots and was really atmospheric, but the high percentage of static shots screamed DSLR to me. It gets boring after a while. Filmmakers are going to have to learn how to get round this.

I thought the editing was off, somehow. Not enough shots, too jarring. Not enough master shots to let me know where I was. I can't explain it but something didn't quite work.

I didn't really understand what was happening in the story but I liked it anyway. The sounds from the beads were lush. I'm going to steal that.

Like I said before, why not a add a bit of movement in Post? A bit of slow left to right or something? If a more experienced person can tell me if that's possible, I'd like to know.

NOT A SHORT FILM: Here's a bunch of portraits a French dude's down of his hometown. Engaging to watch. Slapped a B+W filter on at the end to try and look arthouse. Typical French.

http://vimeo.com/12445094

I'm looking at a bunch of 5D vids now. I'm not going to put every test reel I see up there. I just like brainstorming voiceovers for vids like these.

Last edited:
OK, Sara and Sandy (in the OP) had a lot of cool shots and was really atmospheric, but the high percentage of static shots screamed DSLR to me. It gets boring after a while. Filmmakers are going to have to learn how to get round this.

I thought the editing was off, somehow. Not enough shots, too jarring. Not enough master shots to let me know where I was. I can't explain it but something didn't quite work.

I didn't really understand what was happening in the story but I liked it anyway. The sounds from the beads were lush. I'm going to steal that.

Like I said before, why not a add a bit of movement in Post? A bit of slow left to right or something? If a more experienced person can tell me if that's possible, I'd like to know.

If a filmmaker is serious about shooting on DSLR, it's almost necessary to get a slide dolly. You can get a 3 ft one or a 6ft one--similar to this: http://www.dollyslide.com/?gclid=CPXa_-yblqICFVOY2AodElhjJg

Yeah you're right.

- I bet you could make one of those things for a hundred or two.
- Is there such a thing as a 'flexible slide dolly'?

I just read somewhere that editing HD/DSLR footage in CS5 is "like editing SD again" I guess it automates the process. Has anyone else got experience with this?

Nice work. I think this DSLR technology is one of the most exciting for filmmakers - ever! I know you guys are focused on shorts - but if any of you have any experience shooting features with this camera, please feel free to email me offline. I'm interested in writing an article for my website.

Thanks again for this thread. Exciting topic!

Nice work. I think this DSLR technology is one of the most exciting for filmmakers - ever! I know you guys are focused on shorts - but if any of you have any experience shooting features with this camera, please feel free to email me offline. I'm interested in writing an article for my website.

Thanks again for this thread. Exciting topic!

There is no real info floating about this yet, but you can keep track of DARK FEED by the Rassmusen brothers. It's on IMDb. I'm acting in this feature shot on 7D in Boston. It's about halfway done with shooting.

This looks amazing:

36 Stairs (5D):

http://vimeo.com/7177975

Hell yeah. It looks like THX-1138 meets Blade Runner or Pi. The website was unclear as to whether they got past the trailer stage. But it's a great looking trailer. I noticed that after a few epic establishig shots the film drops and looks significantly lower budget. I wonder if they have the cash to shoot many scenes in a dystopian city, or if it's mainly indoor based.

Atmospheric though and it sticks in yr brain.

As far as I'm concerned, the battle has been won, and micro-budget directors can shoot amazing looking footage on cheap cams. Will the stories be any good? Time will tell. I think we're going to see a bunch of great looking shorts, features and trailers that will amaze people with their visual style but vary in scriptwriting and acting quality. After 6-12 months people'll get used to this new level of cinematograhy and will look for great stories again.

Some more beautiful shots. I like the vintage look they got. I always like it when filmmakers get away from the 'Canon look'- where it's obvious what they shot on. More focussing issues and 'DSLR shots' that Michael has made me aware of now...

Storywise it was too slow and arty for me. And I didn't know what the main character wanted
and why I should care, or what the stakes were. I'm mainly interested in cinematography in this thread though so I'm not so worried if the stories are lacking... The guy is a talented DP.

Back