5 Things to Consider when Looking for a Filming Location

From my filmmaking blog www.behindfilm.com:

1. The Look

The first, and most important, aspect of a location is the look. Does the place fit the scene in your script? Can you visualize the characters in your story interacting in this space? Will the location look unique and interesting in the frame? In other words if your story calls for an upscale restaurant don’t look at burger joints.

2. The Cost

How much is this place going to cost you for the pleasure of using it? What is the owner going to charge you? Will you only have to pay a flat fee for full use of the place or will you have to pay certain amounts for different levels of access? Is there anything expensive at the location that you should be extra careful around?

3. The Availability

When can you use it? Can you rent the location at a time that fits into your schedule? Will you have exclusive use of the location during shooting or is the owner going to continue to use it in some way? Is it available all day for shooting or for only a few hours each day. Is it available during the night? During the Day?

4. The Power

How many outlets are there? Are they close to where you want to shoot the scene? How much power can the building handle? Is use of the power utility included in the location fees? Are you going to have to bring your own generator?

5. Parking, Washrooms, and Cafeteria

Where is the closest parking lot? Are there washrooms and places to eat on location or is the crew going to have to walk to a local store? Where is the crew going to rest when they’re not filming?

What else do you guys recommend looking at when scoping out a location.

You forgot about how the location sounds.

As an example I worked on a feature as preproduction audio consultant and did the audio post. I accompanied the producer and DP when scouting locations with the director. One location was directly under an airport approach (747s landing every couple of minutes), a major 12 lane highway north of the building and a train switching yard to the southwest (near Newark airport for those who know the NY Tristate area). Needless to say the noise was horrendous. Although we were shooting interiors the director absolutely insisted on the location although the three of us recommended a different one. (we later found out that he had an "emotional attachment" to the spot.)

After shooting was completed the director lambasted the production sound team for their inability to capture clean sound and gave me a really hard to for being unable to clean up the production sound to his satisfaction. What a freakin' moron! By the time I finally got the final edit the talent was dispersed all over the country so doing ADR was out of the question.

There are times when you have no choice but to deal with noisy locations, but quite often a similar location will sound much better. Bring an audio recorder along with the still camera and camcorder when you scout locations.

This is a nice list Visual Typist - a lot of good points, but the suggestion of sound is just as important as the others to me. I've only recently realised the responsiveness of the mics i've used, and just how much nearby noise they pick up. It can really break the fantasy of a film's sound if you don't consider it well. Fixing it afterwards is a choice, and much easier without dialogue, but is still far more time-consuming than a well thought out location in terms of sound.

More Things to Consider for Locations...

Greetings, All-

I'm new here, and love the forums and this thread.

8. Addendum: How far is the location from your "home base?" I've found that most cast and crew will travel to a distance under an hour away without asking for gas reimbursement. Can the crew carpool?

3. Addendum: Is it empty or furnished? Empty is great because you can *almost* do anything you want. Furnished is great if the stuff works for your scene and you get permission.

5. Addendum: Will you need porta-potties when nature calls out in the middle of nowhere?

9. Does the location require insurance due to the owner's request or artwork you want to use?

10. Can you do your SFX without permits or permission? Are you going to shoot off guns and need permits, or to warn the neighbors?

You forgot about how the location sounds.

As an example I worked on a feature as preproduction audio consultant and did the audio post. I accompanied the producer and DP when scouting locations with the director. One location was directly under an airport approach (747s landing every couple of minutes), a major 12 lane highway north of the building and a train switching yard to the southwest (near Newark airport for those who know the NY Tristate area). Needless to say the noise was horrendous. Although we were shooting interiors the director absolutely insisted on the location although the three of us recommended a different one. (we later found out that he had an "emotional attachment" to the spot.)

After shooting was completed the director lambasted the production sound team for their inability to capture clean sound and gave me a really hard to for being unable to clean up the production sound to his satisfaction. What a freakin' moron! By the time I finally got the final edit the talent was dispersed all over the country so doing ADR was out of the question.

There are times when you have no choice but to deal with noisy locations, but quite often a similar location will sound much better. Bring an audio recorder along with the still camera and camcorder when you scout locations.

This director doesn't deserve to be a director.

That is a pretty good list. I am glad you remembered the cast needs some where to rest, eat, a bathroom. All good things to remember. If you are supplying food for the cast do a good job. Otherwise they may not work with you again. If you are not supplying food let them know a head of time. Also, have near by food places to eat if possible. Don't send out out of town people to pick up food for the cast and crew. They will get lost and not get your food on time. Send some one that knows the area and food places to get the food. Take additional chairs if needed since some locations will not have chairs. Make sure to bring plenty of drink with coolers and ice.

Just some pointers because I know we had some issues with our 48 hour project.

Here were some of the issues

1. getting quality food on time
2. enough chairs for everyone
3. enough drinks, need coolers and ice
Access to the bathroom was not always easy too.

Back