5 Annoying Trends That Make Every Movie Look The Same

I really like this article. Sure, it may just be stating the obvious, but its pretty funny too. I really like the part about 300, because I hate that movie. :yes: (Hopefully that doesn't spark a few million hate messages from laconophiliacs stating that Spartans are badasses and they can kick my ass with their man-loving muscles that they got from their 300 workout in slow motion)

Here it is: 5 Annoying Trends That Make Every Movie Look The Same

I stumbled upon this when someone here posted a link about zombies from the same site. I can't recall who. Anyways, enjoy.

Haha, yeah I almost posted that one, too. :)

cracked has a nice dry sense of humor that, if you don't over-do it, is really nice. Even if it is pretty formulaic.

God, I hate "300". And this is a funny article.

I believe it was Dready who posted the zombie link you are referencing.

EDIT: oops, she beat me to it.

We can lay the blame on two movies: The Matrix obviously played a part with bullet time (which proved you could move the camera around AND have slo-mo at the same time), and 300, which at normal speed is roughly 15 minutes long. Once again, a technique progresses from "innovative" to "standard procedure" to "OK, please stop doing that.

This just made me lol. And yes, I couldn't agree more. Thanks to the digital age, the "Hollywood" look of the 80's/90's have gone, and will never come back... Unless old school directors put a stop to it by opening up film schools or something.

Dready... did you click on any of the links? They really make my point.

Of course. This is my new wallpaper :P And I want to live here. Although as cliche as it may be, Starry Night is my fav painting. That damn Van Gogh with his manipulative blues and yellows!

That was a nice job of finding all those, btw. Somebody's taken an art history class... ;)

No, I just did a quick google images search for:
renaissance "complementary colors"

I've taken film classes and done a ton of research on color theory online. We separate the foreground from the background using 4 things; Luminance, Chrominance, Leading lines and Parallax Motion. The farther away from the foreground chrominance (generally skin tone), the more separation visually. We're trying to focus viewer attention and convey emotion with color - just like painters... we just get more exposure to film than to painting, so it's more noticeable that folks are using physics to convert a 3d world into a 2d one... the only advantage we have in film is motion... other than that we're using the same techniques painters have been using since cave painters started exploring the possiblilties.

Back