tv 4K TV sets will Arrive 2012

Food for thought though, is the fact that film is generally shot at 4K and most cinema lenses, and cinema periphery is designed for capture at 4k, projection at 2k (or 4k if IMAX). An overwhelming majority of cinema lenses struggle to not vignette on a 5D and Red Epic, let alone going higher than the Epic's 5k. I feel resolutoin may slow down as if you're RED, are you really going to come out with a 6k camera when no-one can use it because there's no lenses that will actually cover the entire frame size? And if you're Zeiss or Cooke, are you really going to spend all the extra time and money developing lenses for a format that may not take off for another 10+ years, if ever? Do you put your time, money, research, etc developing better lenses for the 98% of the market still shooting <4k, or do you put it into the 2% that might want to shoot 6k+ even though there's no camera to shoot 6k+ at this stage...

I mostly agree with the rest of your post, but you're confusing resolution with sensor size here - there's no reason why you couldn't have, for example, a S35-sized sensor with 8K resolution.

HD was out in the late 90's, and incredibly expensive. 4K will follow the same route. Tech gets cheaper, more people adopt, more content is made until it's absolutely normal to see it everywhere. Then people will be arguing about the next new thing and how it's too expensive. Just like VHS was $1500 for a player (back in 80's scale inflation) when it first launched and the same with DVDs. I remember TV shopping in 98 or 99 with my parents and seeing the HDTVs for $4000 and up. Of course nobody bought it then, but look at us now! My cellphone even shoots 1080p footage haha.

The other thing to consider is find me a 4K broadcast camera. Most tv stations have only just been able to update to HD, let alone 4k. Plus, there's no widespread 4k broadcast camera solution, and I can tell you that television stations won't be shooting on Red or JVC's new 4k prosumer. Think about it logically - if you're a television station and you've just spent 10 million dollars updating all your cameras and facilities to allow for HD, are you really going to up and spend another 5 million upgrading your cameras? Especially when there are no 4k broadcast cameras available at this stage..
Sony, JVC, Canon and Sharp came out with HDV in 2003, and only now has HD been ingratiated into our society and tvs. So I'd be looking at at least another 9-10 years before 4k really has the same impact.

I mostly agree with the rest of your post, but you're confusing resolution with sensor size here - there's no reason why you couldn't have, for example, a S35-sized sensor with 8K resolution.

I think I read an article a couple of months ago that 8K had been developed? Of course it would be looking terrible in these stages.

After our last TV died, we invested our meager savings into a 73" 3D HD set. We watch a movie everyday (either in BluRay, 1080 satellite feed or SD DVD with upgraded image). We are very happy and extremely content (and hope to be for the next 10 years with what we now have). We even love 3D! We get movies free or @ an awesome low price - still - we limit purchases to 3D or really 'must-have movies', less than 10 new movies a year are added to our collection. I watch movies to learn as well as to be entertained (just as having a good computer and monitor help me read another writer's script every other day and work on the one's I write on daily).

It is not 'how big' are your toys -- it is what you do with what you have.

4K? May be awesome. But. I would much rather have a Canon EOS C300 to work with, sigh. I think if polled, many on these threads would agree. Especially those of us that are not rich and have to save every penny we get for our creative work and addictions. 4 K may be awesome. But then, there is also reality. And it comes in the form of being relatively MIDDLE CLASS with little to no spare riches...

I think I am in the loop with that 90% of American's stuck in our current economic trends... struggling to make art and put food on the table.

Back