3D Technology & its implementations and impacts on you ?

What do you think of the 3D Technology & its implementations and impacts on you as directors, art directors, cinematographers, screenwriters and other creative people?

I know it is not a very soft topic, but I'd like to know the "not so distant" future?
and why one needs to get ready?

Thank you for that.

It's a kind of relief I guess if the following statement from a well known industry figure has no bases, if any

" Get ready for the compartmentalization in the film industry.
creative occupations such as the current directors, art directors, cinematographers, screenwriters and others in the field will be out (NOT so qualified) if they don't update their skills/knowledge when the 3D takes over

How do you analyze this please ?

It's still all about the story, those techniques haven't changed since the advent of motion photography.

3D hit huge in the 50s, then petered out a bit... it'll hold on a bit longer now that it's mroe approachable to make a 3D film, but most likely, the simplicity of sitting and watching a film without extra stuff on your face will win out. There are still films in 3D that suck because of the 3D... others that are better in 3D than 2D... we'll just have to wait to see how much staying power it has.

screenwriters and others in the field will be out (NOT so qualified) if they don't update their skills/knowledge when the 3D takes over

How does a screenwriter prepare for 3D? :hmm:

Also, who is this "well known industry figure", por favor. :)

It's still all about the story, those techniques haven't changed since the advent of motion photography. . .

it's mroe approachable to make a 3D film, . . .
the simplicity of sitting and watching a film without extra stuff on your face will win out.
... we'll just have to wait to see how much staying power it has.

Thank you knightly, they are all valid and notable observations.

How does a screenwriter prepare for 3D? :hmm:

Also, who is this "well known industry figure", por favor. :)

Thank you Zensteve,
I am afraid I don't know the answer to your question and I also wonder how.
Please give me few days I'll ask the very question to this "well known industry figure"

I am also afraid that I rather not mention the name, it wasn't a published statement. It was merely a "1 to 1" conversation between him and I. I only told him that I'll need to research the idea further within the filmmaking community.

3D is VERY unlikely to take over. It's almost certainly another brief fad (as it has been every other time) and will peter out in a couple more years. Also, I have less than zero interest in 3D film making.

I, too, would love to know how made that statement.

Color changed things and sound clearly did. Widescreen changed
things and 3D changes things. Video and digital changed things.
While “talkies” took over, those other aspects didn’t. Filmmakers
still use black and white, still shoot on film and still shoot in several
different aspect ratios. 3D is, I think, here to stay. Very few
filmmakers are using it well; it still seems to be more of a gimmick
- but I don’t see it taking over.

All filmmakers must update their skills and knowledge. All the time.
If they don’t, they will be “out” so this quote seems to be nothing
but rhetoric. And certainly screenwriters don't need to write differently
for 3D so the quote seems quite foolish.

There's alot more investment in tech to display 3D films, those costs must produce ROI for the companies spending the $$ on them. It'll stick around just due to the industry expense for equipment.

Really ? Could you name a few ?

Of course it’s only opinion. “better” for me, maybe not better
for you.

“Up” - saw both 3D and flat - loved the 3D and really thought
it made an overall better experience.

“Monster House” - flat it was just another haunted house and
kids movie. 3D made me feel like a kid again.

“Avatar” - not a favorite film of mine but I enjoyed the 3D
presentation much better than flat.

“Piranha 3D” - not a great (or even good) movie but I really
enjoyed the fun they had with the 3D. I can’t imagine sitting
through the flat version.

“Coraline” - better in 3D than flat.

“Cave of forgotten Dreams” - have not seen it flat so I can’t
compare, but it was wonderful in 3D.

“Tron: Legacy” - much better in 3D than flat.

“Hugo” - a master director and DP using 3D very well.

“Life of Pi” - just saw this on Saturday. Again, no comparison
to flat but wonderful use of the medium.

Avengers, fine in 2D, 3D mostly irrelevant for the first half of the film... but 3D better for the second half.

John Carter had the same kind of wonderful scope that drew me into Avatar (which as a movie, was just a rehash of a story I'd seen many times -- starting with "Broken Arrow" from the 1950s)... I found myself concentrating on the distant details more than the story... I'd already seen ferngully, and this didn't have Robin Williams as the bat.

Spiderman was decent, although the POV swinging shots didn't work in 3D too well.

For me, it's bringing back the "Spectacle" of the cinema. I have a theatre in my basement with a projector and 5.1 surround, so I get the cinema experience at home whenever I want. I really need a reason to deal with noisy people with cell phones and teenaged girls chatting with their friends during a film at this point. Tech I can't afford is one of those reasons.

“Life of Pi” - just saw this on Saturday. Again, no comparison
to flat but wonderful use of the medium.

I thought this wasn't out until November. How is it? I love the book!

I do wish I had seen Coraline in 3d. For me, the only movie that has really stood out in 3d was Kung Fu Panda 2, and mostly because after the first 10 minutes or so, I stopped thinking about the 3d. Completely immersive, and fantastic because of it.

It has a place as a gimmicky cherry on top for big action films and animated stuff for sure. Though if available I always see the 2D version of a film. It just brings nothing to most films but expense.

Why can't that be considered art?
cherry-spoon.med.jpg

Answer was an expected one I am afraid

3D term was used wrongly by him he said
he meant skilled VFX operators under the knowledgeable directors, art directors, cinematographers will rule the market

screenwriters are not on the list obviously

Combination of the "directors, art directors, cinematographers" will need enough knowledge to guide the VFX people to create the atmosphere matches their original story so that output will satisfy the increasing level of more demanding, more impressive, more violent, more visual wants

I am sorry for the false alarm

Back