2K vs 4K

If there is a thread that discusses this, please direct me to that.

We are producing a horror / thriller that has box office potential (ie... not a B movie)

Obviously plan A is to sell the film and / or secure theatrical distribution

Plan B includes setting up our own screenings and a limited theatrical release

Now... the question is this...

should we shoot in 2K or 4K?

In short, yes. But each camera has it's own look, just as each film stock has it's own look. Therefore, I couldn't recommend specifics without knowing a lot more about your project - the DP you bring onto the project will.

Without knowing more, and without reading the script I can't give much more than general advice.

It sounds like you don't really have the budget for much more than a DSLR anyway - certainly if you did it would be very low on my camera/format preference list.

The budget it more than enough for a Red Epic or an ARRI Alexa... but the question was and is... will it matter...

Horror / Thriller

As for the look I'm thinking... very dark... mostly 2 point lighting with key and rim (for MS and CU)

Shooting a good portion in and around and replicating fire with lighting

Will color time in some more blue and also red and green... a bit of Vertigo saturation

IMO, in the broad sense, yes it matters. But it depends on many factors. I'm not your DP, so it really depends on who you get on board. Without knowing much about the film, I might be leaning towards RED Epic, though Alexa might not quite be the right fit but who knows.

DSLRs will probably prove difficult in the colour suite.

But keep in mind I essentially know nothing about your film, so I'm not really in a position to give too much advice, and they're not decisions I or anyone here should be making for you, unless you want to bring us on as your DP.

Is 4K a must for theatrical? In the opinions of this community.

The distinct minority of theaters have 4k.

so shooting with a 5D or a 7D would be okay?

Sometimes, kind of, not really, but also yes, depending. I've seen stuff on screen shot with a 5d/7d and it looks just fine. You can shoot with a Red/Alexa and it can look horrible. The best equipment in the wrong hands don't make a better picture.

Whether the camera will be sufficient also depends on what you're doing with the footage. If you're doing a lot of special effects, then obviously you should use a better camera.

Grab the camera (and the people) you want to consider, and test, test, test. See if the output delivers the results you require.

There will be zero effects ... other than camera adjustments.

After seeing what Buono did with Green Street Hooligans I'm seeing some changes in shutter speed for a practical "effect" here and there.

There will be zero green screen.

As for look... the last of this genre I saw in the theater was House at the End of the Street and Cabin in the Woods.

We will be heading out into the dark to light some fires and see what I can come up with over the next few weeks. I'll share some here for more opinions and advice.

As for look... the last of this genre I saw in the theater was House at the End of the Street and Cabin in the Woods.
Both pretty cool movies.

We will be heading out into the dark to light some fires and see what I can come up with over the next few weeks. I'll share some here for more opinions and advice.
Will be interesting to see how the test shooting goes, keep us posted. Hope it goes well.

I've seen what DSLRs do in low light... does the Epic or Alexa handle that as well?

Yes, No, Maybe. With a DP attached to the project, they should be able to light in such a way that it doesn't need to be shot in 'low light'.
You should be allocating budget to lighting and grip.

The only way you can really tell what's best is to get your DP to test the cameras you might want to shoot on. Do a side by side test of the Epic, Alexa and C500 with a Ki Pro Quad under similar shooting and lighting conditions that the film will be, and see what you guys like best.

I hope this is in conjunction with your DP, because without a DP testing cameras is IMO absolutely pointless. Your DP is the one who should be testing cameras and deciding what to go with, in conjunction with the Director.

I should clarify... when i say low light i mean at night exteriors or in dark rooms where we are using a rim light and a key light

budget covers everything

this question is very exploratory...

the problem with SxS testing is we dont have access to a screening room for this project at this point.... but thats a good idea... i'll have to book a screen

my biggest question is how well they do with firelight

Last edited:
the problem with SxS testing is we dont have access to a screening room for this project at this point.... but thats a good idea... i'll have to book a screen

my biggest question is how well they do with firelight

You don't need access to a screening room for days or even hours - realistically, you're looking at how cameras handle light, and the colour reproduction and dynamic range etc. So for most of what you're looking for, a largeish calibrated screen is more than enough (though of course a theatre is better, so you can see how it holds up on the big screen).

Please hire a DP. If I were your DP, I might say it doesn't matter how the camera handles firelight, because firelight is generally not incredibly bright, and I'd want to use a film light to augment the firelight anyway.

As a DP, I would be annoyed if a Producer came to me and said 'we're shooting on this because someone on the internet said x'. To which I would reply 'yes but what about all these things that you haven't thought of?'

So often these days the cameras are hired before the DP - it just doesn't make any sense; the only person who should be making the decision about what camera to use is your DP, if only for the simple fact that he should know the most about current cameras and formats, certainly more than anyone else on the crew.

You don't need access to a screening room for days or even hours - realistically, you're looking at how cameras handle light, and the colour reproduction and dynamic range etc. So for most of what you're looking for, a largeish calibrated screen is more than enough (though of course a theatre is better, so you can see how it holds up on the big screen).

Please hire a DP. If I were your DP, I might say it doesn't matter how the camera handles firelight, because firelight is generally not incredibly bright, and I'd want to use a film light to augment the firelight anyway.

As a DP, I would be annoyed if a Producer came to me and said 'we're shooting on this because someone on the internet said x'. To which I would reply 'yes but what about all these things that you haven't thought of?'

So often these days the cameras are hired before the DP - it just doesn't make any sense; the only person who should be making the decision about what camera to use is your DP, if only for the simple fact that he should know the most about current cameras and formats, certainly more than anyone else on the crew.

We are in talks with a variety of DPs right now. This is not for me to say "Hey Mr. DP, you are going to use this camera" this is for me personally to have more knowledge so that I can ask better questions and have a better understanding of the entire process - not to micromanage, but to make sure that no stone is left unturned

We are in talks with a variety of DPs right now. This is not for me to say "Hey Mr. DP, you are going to use this camera" this is for me personally to have more knowledge so that I can ask better questions and have a better understanding of the entire process - not to micromanage, but to make sure that no stone is left unturned

There is nothing you've asked here that a good DP can't answer with at least as much detail (though he should be able to answer in more detail, in tailored answers to the specific film).

There is nothing you've asked here that a good DP can't answer with at least as much detail (though he should be able to answer in more detail, in tailored answers to the specific film).

So just because someone else can answer a question means that it shouldn't be asked here? That makes no sense.

What is wrong with me wanting more information to help my own understanding as we select a DP?

Back