• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch 2013 DP Reel WIP

Rushed together a quick reel of my work over the last year for a potential job, and figured I'd post it up here to see what you guys thought. It's a real quick edit, as I haven't put together a reel in over a year, and I needed something current really quickly. Therefore, it's a bit of a WIP. I'm still waiting on footage from 4 or so projects to include into this, so there'll be a bit more variety once I get them.

Anyway, here 'tis. Formats for this are Arri Alexa, Red Epic, S16mm, Canon 7D. Got 35mm, 5DmkIII and Sony FS700 footage to come.

Watch in HD for best results ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTGjmTVxRq0

Feeling jealous from the toys you've played with.. What would you say was the overall best camera? In regards to ease of operation, price point and picture?

Lookin' good! The new clips have some more actiony material in them?

Unfortunately not.. I haven't shot much actiony stuff for a while. I do think the reel is a bit slow (and contains a lot of dolly shots ;)) but I'm not really sure there's any strong punchy action-ey stuff that I can put in.. I'll see how I go.

Feeling jealous from the toys you've played with.. What would you say was the overall best camera? In regards to ease of operation, price point and picture?

I don't think there is a best camera. It's all subjective, and it also depends on your own needs, the film's needs etc. I personally love 35mm, but it's often prohibitively expensive. The Alexa is the next best, and my favourite digital camera to work with. It gives a great picture, almost on par with 35mm film, and simply works like a real camera. And though it's $100,000 to buy, I have an Arri catalogue from 2006 quoting some of their prices as $250,000+ for their higher end 35mm cameras (cameras that now go for <$10,000!), so I guess it's all relative. The Alexa is cheap compared to what you'd pay to buy something only a few years ago, but expensive compared to say the cost of a DSLR.

The other thing with film cameras is they take a beating (and will still work in 30 years time) and are comparitively easy to service as they're all mostly mechanical (unlike all digital cameras ;)). If you have an issue with a film camera, you can often diagnose and fix it within the hour. If you got a problem with a RED, you're on the phone to the rental company to rush you out another one as quick as they can.

I guess my point is that you can get good images out of all of them. It really depends on what you want to do - I would suggest a Scarlet as the cheapest camera to get you an image that's generally acceptable on a cinema screen, but then it's much more difficult to use than a traditional camera system. The Sony FS-series I find hard to use, and expensive for the picture you get out of it - I don't think the picture's all that much better than a DSLR (though it is better). If you're shooting a web series or a corporate, for example, an FS or a DSLR would be fine.

I guess if I was forced to shoot digital forever, and could only choose from what's available now, I would pick an Alexa, as I think it has the combination of a great picture and an easy to use camera, plus the price point is not cheap, but it's not prohibitively expensive on a modest budget.
I also find the Alexa works the way I'm used to, and the way I like - I hate the weird exposure system on the RED, and having to 'maximise the histogram,' and leave it to the grade, regardless of the fact that it may be completely opposite to the actual look you want..

With all that said, lensing and lighting is much more important than the camera body you're using. Lensing and lighting can make or break an image much moreso than the camera itself. Talking from purely a cinematography standpoint anyway.

Last edited:
Wow, great footage! In lieu of action-y footage, you could always just make the edit action-y. If you'd like, I could make the edit action-y, depending on how soon you need it. :)

I'll vouch for Cracker Funk on that! My feature is a drama, definitely NOT action-y, but he did a great job of giving the trailer a fast paced feeling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9VaMQiZ7Q0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

:blush:

Aw, schucks. Thanks! :)

BTW -- I finally finished Nick's rough cut trailer last night. Tomorrow is Seahawks-day. So your rough cut is happening Monday. Of that, I am positive. Allow a few days for feedback from you, and any file-transfering, and we'll have the new trailer in time for the fest!

EDIT: Oops -- unintentional thread-hijacking. Anway, jax I'd be more than happy to cut it up. Gimme a holler. :)

Last edited:
Nice work. I don't think I've seen anything from you before so this just confirmed my suspicions about your talent level. It's good. :)

Anyway, abt the pacing of the reel. I think it could be shorter, yes but not more action-y (unless it the shots are action shots themselves). I'm always hesitant when 'drama' shots are displayed in quick cuts in a reel. Everyone can find a good second or two in any clip. What are they trying to hide? I want to see if a dp can handle a shot consistently.

My $0.02

Back