• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

1K quality = to 35MM ?????

Well friends i want to know if i have a HD cam with resolution of 1k.that is 1080 * 756.and after doing all shoot and edit when i transfer it at 35mm for cinema owners or distributors.....will the quality fell???because for cinema we need 2 k quality.guide me is there any way i can keep the quality high or atleast upto level where everyone can like the camera results on cinema???please guide me about this

It should be just fine. There are several films that have been out in recent years that were shot on miniDV, so their originating resolution was only 720x480. Open Water, 28 Days Later & 28 Weeks Later, etc.

If you light it well and work closely with the lab doing the
transfer, you will be just fine. As Will mentioned, there
have been several movies shot on SD that have been
transfered to 35mm and shown in the cinemas, so HD
will work.

"28 Week Later" was shot on HDV, 16mm and 35mm. The
format decision isn't always about costs. Very often it's a
creative choice. I have spoken to Lynch about "Inland Empire"
and he didn't shoot with a SD camera because because he
didn't have enough money to shoot film, he chose the PD-170
because he loved the connivence of the camera.

Hi First of all many many thanks to all of you.now Directorik can you tell me about
work closely with the lab doing the transfer
well do you mean this will be their [Production House] headache to keep the quality??or its me who will have to sit with them to real work with them?????can you guide me about this process?someone on other site replied me that it is interlacing or deinterlacing etc when i asked to describe this in detail he just started avoiding me.so tell me it is the headache of that pro house which will be transfering the final movie to35mm????

second question ''The process to keep hte quality up will start soon after shooting?or this process is needed when transfering from Digital to 35mm?because i will be editing it on my PC ''

last question '' As you mentioned if i lit it well....well ok can you explain me in few words that do you mean to lit it more then normal???or it should be a normal lit??suppose i am shooting a room scene and i think the light is well.and some more light willl start creating problem for the viewers.so that is the end point?or should i increase a little more light''

I am very thankful to all of you for guiding me because i realy got confused in this process

Last edited:
Well friends i want to know if i have a HD cam with resolution of 1k.that is 1080 * 756.and after doing all shoot and edit when i transfer it at 35mm for cinema owners or distributors.....will the quality fell???because for cinema we need 2 k quality.guide me is there any way i can keep the quality high or atleast upto level where everyone can like the camera results on cinema???please guide me about this

Release print are have poor resolution. Far below 2K. While it wouldn't hurt to go 2k, you will probably be fine. Now, what camera is this 1080x756? That's a very odd size.

Release print are have poor resolution. Far below 2K. While it wouldn't hurt to go 2k

can you explain me what did you said??? and well the resolution is 1080i.hope now you understand.

so explain me what did you ment by your statment?

I strongly suggest that anyone shooting digital to transfer to film should read this DVFILM's BOOK

These guys have been transferring DV to Film for years now and I'd definitely talk to them pre-production as they can answer all your technical problems and their rates are pretty fair.

well do you mean this will be their [Production House] headache to keep the quality??or its me who will have to sit with them to real work with them?????can you guide me about this process?
Before you shoot you should decide where you will get the 35mm transfer done
and work closely with the lab. Ask them about the best settings for the camera,
the best lighting needed and allow them to guide you through the process. Yes,
you should sit with them and work with them. The lab will be your partner in
doing a 35mm transfer from HD. They will be able to give you all the details including
the editing and what they need to make the best quality 35mm transfer.

someone on other site replied me that it is interlacing or deinterlacing etc when i asked to describe this in detail he just started avoiding me.so tell me it is the headache of that pro house which will be transfering the final movie to35mm????
Click here for an explanation of interlacing. I can imagine that describing the entire process
in detail on a messageboard would take a long time - maybe that's why he avoided you. Since
you will be shooting HD, interlacing won't be an issue. 24p High Def isn't interlaced video.
Work closely with the lab and they will assist you in all the details.

second question ''The process to keep hte quality up will start soon after shooting?or this process is needed when transfering from Digital to 35mm?because i will be editing it on my PC ''
If you are editing in full 1k HD then you won't do to do much. But the
chances are you will "down convert" to SD for editing and then conform
the edit to the original HD footage before you do the transfer.

I'm not avoiding you, but the details would take me hours to write out.
Read the book clive mentions and speak to the people at your lab for all
the details.

last question '' As you mentioned if i lit it well....well ok can you explain me in few words that do you mean to lit it more then normal???or it should be a normal lit??suppose i am shooting a room scene and i think the light is well.and some more light willl start creating problem for the viewers.so that is the end point?or should i increase a little more light''
The light in the room isn't good enough. Yes, you can see in the room, and
yes you can get a picture in the camera viewfinder, but no, it isn't lit well for
HD. You will need "normal" movie lighting, not normal room light.

Are you shooting this yourself or will you be using a director of photography?

First of thanks to Guru fro telling the name of any book

and then more thanks to directorik for guiding me in detail.and thanks for telling me that you are not avoiding me.atleast you replied me......lots of regards to all of you

Hi friends i posted an email to many pro houses and i got the reply which im poting as it is

Hello, Adeel

1. 2k is the full frame size of the 35mm 2048x1556. The area that actually gets projected is only 1:85(unless it's scope). The frame size is 1828x988.
The difference in size and aspect between HD-1.77 and film-1.85 is very minimal, just leave yourself a bit extra framing top and bottom.

2. I'm not sure how to help on this one. Any HD camera is going to be well over 1000 dollars. Did you maybe mean 10,000 dollars?

3. Every camera has different possible settings, the most important thing is get the best image you can out of the camera, just the same as if your project was staying on video. One thing that will really help with a film out is to shoot 23.98fps, because it will convert easily to film without losing quality of motion. Another important thing is to be careful with exposure, and try not to blow out the highlights. It is best to light and shoot low-contrast if possible, because film adds more contrast and because it is always easier to add contrast in post than take it away. Also, be very careful with focus, because soft focus shots may become even more noticable on film.

4. I can't think of anything special you need to know about sound for film out. Again, the most important thing is just to get the best quality you can, same as for video.

For information about rates, you should contact Jannat at jannat@alphacine.com. She can answer any questions you have.

I hope this helps!

in return i have asked few more questions and im asking you too.you people might help.the email i send was

2) so you mean while shooting i should set 23.98fps instead of 24 frames?

3) Can you guide a little more about ''be very careful with focus because soft focus shots may become even more noticable on film''

4) Can you guide me in depth about ''just leave yourself a bit extra framing top and bottom'' .DO you mean i should do this setting with camera while shooting? (can you explain with an example please?Please?)

If the post house where you will be doing the transfer prefers you to shoot
as 23.98fps then that's what you should shoot. Each lab is different which
is why I suggested you contact them. So, yes - that means you should set
23.98fps instead of 24 frames if you use Alpha Cine.

Be careful with focus means you will need to make sure your image is sharp
focus. Many times filmmakers like soft focus. When going from video to film
soft focus doesn't look very good.

''just leave yourself a bit extra framing top and bottom'' The film frame will
show just a little more picture at the top and bottom than what you will see
in the camera's viewfinder. So you should be careful when setting up your
shots. For example - make sure the mic can't bee seen at the top of the frame
and the dolly track can't be seen at the bottom of the frame.

The guy said that HD was 1.77 and film would be displayed at 1.85, which means the HD will be closer to square and the top and bottom edge will likely be cropped. If I understand this correctly, you would want to be sure you don't have anything important in the very top of the frame, or at the very bottom, because a small slice of the top and bottom will likely be lost in the transfer.

Forgive me, Rick, if I've erroneously contradicted you ... it's been a long day and I'm tired.

Doug

Back