14' carbon fiber fishing pole/possible boom?

For my DIY boom I'm thinking of adapting a golf ball retriever... This seems like a good idea to me, but I've yet to put it into practice so one can never be sure. But I see no particular reason why it wouldn't work...

90 seems high to me. For less than $20 you can make your
own and for only 50 more you can get a really professional one.

But glad you're happy with it.

I am hijacking this thread to ask a question.

I bought a boom pole from Rode. I have the Rode NTG-2 so it made sense. The boom pole came today and the end of it doesn't fit onto the clip that I got with the mic. I think I am making an obvious mistake. Is the thing I need called a shock mount? If so can someone point me in the direction of where I can buy one?

I know this sounds lazy but let me tell you a related story. After some faffing about I order my XLR lead to go from mic to recorder. It arrived this morning.

I was under the impression I had ordered 6m of cable, but what I received was 0.5m. Incandescent with rage I checked my Amazon order...

...0.5m

I don't know how I made such an error but I cannot continue with my current policy of scattergun purchasing where I buy two or three times before I hit upon the right purchase. So that's why I'm seeking confident, reassuring advice before I purchase a shock mount.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Please ignore this question. This question is the result of assuming that little metal components are just 'spare nuts and bolts'.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that you don't already have the shock-mount.

There are two different thread sizes. The 5/8" mic clip is the standard used on mic stands, and the 3/8" mic clip that seems to be fairly standard for boom poles. The Rode boom-pole has the 3/8" thread. I believe the Rode shock-mount is the 3/8" type and, I think, comes with the adapter cap just in case...

I'm surprised that you don't already have the shock-mount.

There are two different thread sizes. The 5/8" mic clip is the standard used on mic stands, and the 3/8" mic clip that seems to be fairly standard for boom poles. The Rode boom-pole has the 3/8" thread. I believe the Rode shock-mount is the 3/8" type and, I think, comes with the adapter cap just in case...

Yep, you're right I had everything I needed all along I just couldn't/didn't see the little metal nut (adapter cap you say?) that I had to screw into the mic clip in order to get it to fit.

Had great fun playing with it once I worked out what I'd done wrong. Looking forward to getting an XLR cable longer than 0.5m now... :blush:

A very professional one for 70? That sounds amazing! Can you give me some more info? :)

I think he meant $90 + $50 which is pretty close to a rode or the carbon fiber one on B&H ....
not $20+$50.. .but somehow I think you knew that.

In other words,
I DIY one should NOT cost more than $20 to make (agreed, mine cost about $8), and a pro one could be had for about $140 (what is PRO is arguable, but certainly nobody on the indie scene is going to laugh you off the set for showing up with a 12 foot rode! showing up with a painters pole with a soup can for a shock mount just might! )

Last edited:
Whoops. Sorry. Wasn't being sarcastic. I guess I misunderstood. I've done some really sketchy boompolling before, so the thought of a professional quality boompole for 70ish got me a little too excited.

Mine cost £70 and I bought it direct from Rode so I assume that the quality is good and robust...

I was going to convert a golf ball retriever but, in the end, I decided that anything I could cobble together was bound to be insufficient for anything other than the most gentle filmmaking. I think that a decent boom pole is a pretty safe and necessary investment for a filmmaker...

Back