1 year, 1 filmaker, 50 films

Hi Guys,

So I have finally decided to get off my butt, stop procrastinating and film some stuff, learn from it, rinse and repeat as many people quote on here.

Taking inspiration from Preston Kanak a Filmmaker from Saskatchewan, Canada (whom I have spoke with) who made a film a day in 2010, I shall be taking on a slightly lesser task of a film a week (50 in total) I am fully aware there are 52 weeks in the year but 50 sounded nicer :D

I have decided to start a blog and share all my experiences along the way, the highs the lows, the equipment I used and why.... it will be a warts n all blog.

I am hoping it will not only be interesting to the general public but be a good resources for like minded indie filmmakers to learn from and witness my mistakes and not fall into the same traps.

I am not great filmmaker and am hoping this will be a great learning process for myself and make me a better filmmaker.

It would be great if you could have a look at my blog and even follow/subscribe to it and of course give me feedback on the films I upload :D

www.the50filmproject.wordpress.com

Any questions just ask!

Thanks

Mark

Hey Guys,

So the first video is up.....

http://the50filmproject.wordpress.com/2013/01/13/video-1-by-the-river/

it was pretty nerve wracking releasing it as ive had a few people say they are interested to see how I progress.

Already only a few minutes after I've put it up, there are changes I want to make and things I don't like!!

Would really appreciate some feedback, both positive and negative.... I dont get offended easily, but be nice as its my first! haha

'grats on finishing the first one! Gotta be a load off, now that it's underway. :cool:

Considering getting into the stock-footage market, with all that scenic material? Make a few ancilliary bux.

I've made 4 short films so far this year, I could do fifty but the quality would tank off the deep end with such productions as 'Wall' and 'Timelapse of my Bed in 8 parts' but good luck! We are all routing for you!

Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't been on here much this week, I have been away a lot which has also made things difficult this week for my 2nd film... alas it is now online though!!

http://the50filmproject.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/video-2-mike-jeffs-singersongwriter/

This week brought a whole new set of challenges!

As always any comments good or bad would be great!

Mad Hatter, I have got a few ideas from some narrative films, Hopefully once I get more confident and into the swing of things i will be able to get them produced!

I liked that, I actually think the format worked even better than the previous one. The voiceover was crisp and clear, and the content was fairly interesting. Probably could've been a little bit leaner but an all round good 2/50 film! :yes:

Now for something in the snow while it lasts ;)

Hey Nick,

Thanks for your comments, when I got back to edit it tonight I did feel I had a lot of the same shot... possibly because I was only filming him and I ran out of shot ideas?, in hindsight I could have done some more random shots or pick ups... It may have been easier to shoot bystanders watching if it wasn't chucking it down with snow as the city centre was dead where as normally its buzzing! haha

It truly is remarkable in essentially just 2 weeks how much I have learnt already, and I know people always talk on here about just going out and shooting something, never a truer word spoken!!

Loved it!.. yes, lots of repeated shots, the VO could be mixed to center as well (probably just one side of it so it doesn't phase cancel and do weird things there when it comes together), but the sound was nice and crisp and clear :) Was that the performer doing the guitar for the piece as well? Perhaps put the performer's name in there somewhere so he can get some recognition while he's talking and the audience can know his name and connect to him even more.

Hey Knightly,

Thanks for the kind words. I will definitely need to look more in-depth at audio production, this time around it was pretty much just hit record and adjust volume levels in post.

Yes the performer was doing the guitar piece as well.

The biggest thing I've taken from my 2nd video is that a lot of people have said it would have been nice to hear Mike actually playing whilst busking, rather than just the track over the top... Something if I was in the same scenario next time I would definitely do.

Thanks Knightly,

It's funny you should say you wanted more, as a lot of the feedback from the first 2 films was that they could have been leaner, so I kept that in mind this week.

It was a tough shoot, as everything was very static and inspiration was running low! haha

However I have been asked back to shoot some more for them.

Originally I wanted to get a voice over with someone talking about the history of the place but that didn't materialise, so hopefully next time.

Something a bit different this week, a BTS shoot for a new short film.

Yeah, that's the more I kinda wanted... the shots were so compelling and well composed though, that even as a straight motion photo piece, I wouldn't have minded more of the same of it.

It definitely felt like the intro to a larger piece.

Back