Zoom H6

This was announced a few days back, would love to hear our resident audio guys feedback and opinions on the "announced specs and features", after all, they could alway be way better or worse come release.

original.jpg

Best features announced so far:
Over 20 hours operation on 4AA batteries (Skeptical, but hopeful)
Up to 24 bit/96KHZ audio recording
4 built in XLR/TRS inputs (additional 2 extra (totaling 6) in a modular add-on)
Individual gain control for each input VIA 4 separate knobs (novel idea, right?)
Color LCD screen with meters for each input (nice little touch)

It has some features that seem pretty goofy to be honest, like a modular interchangable mic system offering through a proprietary mount the standard stereo XY mic, a shotgun mic, an omni or (best option IMO) two extra XLR/TRS inputs.

Granted, it's Zoom and I know some audio pros are skeptical out of the box, but I've been really happy overall with my H4n and these features at a $400 base pricetag ($70 or so for each mic add-on, $600 for the kit) it could warrant an upgrade for sure.

More detailed info:
http://nofilmschool.com/2013/04/zoom-h6-handy-audio-recorder-h4n/

Yup, I'm very skeptical. I don't care if it has 6,000 tracks, if the preamps aren't improved - and I very much doubt that they are at that price point - why bother? And 99% of indie filmmakers will never need more than two tracks anyway, the primary and buffered safety tracks, so who cares if it has four inputs?

Interchangeable onboard mics? Something more to break or lose.

The new Tascam DR-60, with it's design, is aimed specifically at the DSLR crowd. It also does four tracks; granted, only two XLR inputs, but again, how many indie types need more than two XLR inputs? It certainly looks more robust, it's designed for tripod mounting, and it's only $350.

Although the DR-60 looks to be the superior unit, both of them are just cramming more stuff into a small space, and with probably no improvement to the preamp section - where the improvements were really needed! I repeat, how many really need the additional tracks? Why not spend a few extra extra ducats and get something substantial like the PMD-661, HD-P2 or FR2-LE? And there will be "new versions" of those coming out at NAB as well.

That was more or less the response I expected haha.

For what it's worth, now that I've extensively used both the Zoom H4n and the Tascam DR-100 I can say that the signal-noise ratio on the Zoom is night and day better than the tascam. Same mics, same spaces and it's amazing the quality difference, I've always assumed they were pretty much the same.

From external mics, I've never really had a problem with my Zoom noise-wise. After using the DR-100 (one of my clients) pretty heavily I'm glad I ended up that route.

True, 4, and especially 6 inputs will be overkill for most. When you need it though it makes life that much easier. We had a really weird shoot a few weeks back where we had to have three shotguns going simultaneously to capture audio from several people spaced far apart going for a wide, one-take shot and we had to have set-dialogue (as opposed to ADR). A third input would have made life WAY easier. Shot some acoustic music performances too where we had to have multiple recorders going for 4 channels that a single interface with individual channel gain would have made a monster difference.

We did a shoot too where the PSM/boom op mic'd each actor with a hidden lapel, recording 3 or 4 channels of audio per scene.

However, like you said, those were rare. Closer to 1 out of 20-30 shoots, the rest of the time it's been a boom-op and PSM recording the one input.

Sorry, I'm with Alcove. The biggest weakness by far with all the budget recorders is the poor quality of their mic pre-amp sections. I can't see how having essentially 4 mic pre-amps in a similarly priced unit as one with only 2 mic-pres can possibly improve the quality of these budget recorder's biggest weakness.

BTW, I did an informal test of the mic-pres in the H4n and Tascam units some time ago and there was certainly NOT a night and day difference, both were poor! I can only assume there was either a fault with your test or a fault with the individual Tascam unit. Just out of curiosity, you do realise that the noise produced by an individual mic-pre is not a fixed value?

G

ooh! three times the hiss!
Seriously though these units are aimed towards amateur musicians and I can see this unit's additional tracks kinda useful for recording gigs with vox, guitars and drumoverheads on separate channels.
As for film applications this gives a budget option for people shooting panel type discussions, reality or anything requiring a number of clip on mics for straight to youtube productions or podcasters.
I often use my DR100 for radio work as I can get the mics nice and close and need to add less gain on the mics but with so many channels running that hiss can build up so gating and NR will probably be essential.

Sorry, I'm with Alcove. The biggest weakness by far with all the budget recorders is the poor quality of their mic pre-amp sections. I can't see how having essentially 4 mic pre-amps in a similarly priced unit as one with only 2 mic-pres can possibly improve the quality of these budget recorder's biggest weakness.

Yeah... Zoom's recorders have been some of the worst in pre-amps and self-noise.

My other initial reaction was how absolutely clumsy the design of this thing is. XLRs sticking out of both sides? Well, it's not really hand-held friendly... and it sure as heck isn't bag-friendly. Table or cart, sure, but not much else.

The only plus is that they seem to have facilitated line-level input, which the H4n couldn't handle without a workaround. That opens it up to some usefulness, especially for musicians or for low-budget work with a mixer that has direct outs.

BTW, I did an informal test of the mic-pres in the H4n and Tascam units some time ago and there was certainly NOT a night and day difference, both were poor! I can only assume there was either a fault with your test or a fault with the individual Tascam unit.

That doesn't sound right to me. I had one of the original H4 recorders, and the pre-amps were useless. The H4n was a slight improvement, but still pretty lousy. I've put them both up against a TASCAM DR-40 and the TASCAM wins hands-down. No, they're still not the world's greatest pre-amps, but they sound better than anything I've heard from Zoom.

Last edited:
I had one of the original H4 recorders, and the pre-amps were useless. The H4n was a slight improvement, but still pretty lousy. I've put them both up against a TASCAM DR-40 and the TASCAM wins hands-down. No, they're still not the world's greatest pre-amps, but they sound better than anything I've heard from Zoom.

I don't think we're in disagreement, as I didn't mean to imply that the Tascam and Zoom were the same. Even though the Tascam was the better of the two, I would still place it in the "poor" category and therefore felt the use of a superlative like "night and day" was a little misleading to others reading this thread who may not have much audio experience.

G

Back