Z-Finder for the T3i/600d or 60D?

So I found this z-finder that lists for the T3i on amazon for $60. Now the only review on it sounds good but its for his T2i. What I'm worried about is how well will this really work with a flip out screen?

Does anyone else have one with there camera that has a flip out screen and does it effect the screen when you go to close it?

Are z-finders typically magnetic? I'm wondering if the magnets are to strong that they could effect the internal components or SDHC card.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/LCDVF-LCDVF32-Viewfinder-Canon-other/dp/B004RG4MNE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1303773604&sr=8-1

Title: LCDVF LCDVF32 LCD Viewfinder for Canon 60D, T3i, any other 3:2 3" LCD Cameras by Carry Speed

"So I found this z-finder that lists for the T3i on amazon"

Ha thanks for pointing that out, but I was already aware of that. ;) The title of a product does not mean it will work 100% correctly.

I once bought fog lights for a Saturn I owned. Had my exact car on the product supposedly using them and even in the exact spot that I meant to install them as well. So I bought them and come to find out, they didn't fit, not even close. True story, so I don't trust product titles unless its got some good evidence behind it.

So I need to basically know if anyone has something like this z-finder and on their swivel screen.

"So I found this z-finder that lists for the T3i on amazon"

Ha thanks for pointing that out, but I was already aware of that. ;) The title of a product does not mean it will work 100% correctly.

I once bought fog lights for a Saturn I owned. Had my exact car on the product supposedly using them and even in the exact spot that I meant to install them as well. So I bought them and come to find out, they didn't fit, not even close. True story, so I don't trust product titles unless its got some good evidence behind it.

So I need to basically know if anyone has something like this z-finder and on their swivel screen.

Sorry, I made an asshole out of myself :D

A "real" z-finder (the $300 kind) would work fine because it's not attached to the screen it's held in place by a frame mounted to a plate (gorilla plate) under the camera. The screen isn't supporting the weigh the plate is.

A "real" z-finder (the $300 kind) would work fine because it's not attached to the screen it's held in place by a frame mounted to a plate (gorilla plate) under the camera. The screen isn't supporting the weigh the plate is.

That's the set up I have on a T2i and I'm having trouble picturing a viewfinder that would work on a flip-out screen without making the point of attachment on the camera more vulnerable to breakage.

It just sounds like trouble.

just don't use the viewfinder with it flipped out.
Though, in thinking about this I figured Id make a bracket to support the LCD in the flipped out config.

I can recommend the Carry Speed LCDVF, same price as the one you listed. I was quite impressed with it.

Yeah you couldn't flip the screen of course. You would only use when the screen was flat against the camera. It wouldn't strees the screen because nothing is actually attached the screen. The finder is supported by a plate and screws. It's against the screen, but not attached to it.

I dont think the OP is talking about a real zfinder, hes using the term to describe any LCD magnifying loupe device.

With the LCD flat against the back of the camera, do you all still think there would be a strain\stress issue on the LCD atriculation with one of the cheaper LCD VIEWFINDERs that attach directly to the LCD screen? Me, I say no...

I dont think the OP is talking about a real zfinder, hes using the term to describe any LCD magnifying loupe device.

With the LCD flat against the back of the camera, do you all still think there would be a strain\stress issue on the LCD atriculation with one of the cheaper LCD VIEWFINDERs that attach directly to the LCD screen? Me, I say no...

Me either. The smaller loupes don't weigh much.

Sure, I wouldn't think there would be a problem if the screen if the LCD were flat against the camera.

Ahh, yeah, I guess I meant viewfinder for the terminology. I did happen to find a nice tutorial on a diy viewfinder for about $5 that I might just try. I suppose anything is better than nothing when trying to block out glare and since there doesn't seem to be anyone with a LCDVF on there isolating screen I will just try this out instead.

Here is the DIY I'm referring to except I will try to make it look better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_KgMbOU8Wo

Thanks for the replies guys.

Back