Youtube Vs. Vimeo

I am wondering which you guys use to post your videos? Do you use Youtube or do you pay the monthly fee for Vimeo. I personally have had issues with videos showing up right on Youtube and like Vimeo. However I am not sure Vimeo has the reach that Youtube does.

Your thread gave me an idea for a really meta video. Imagine: all the youtube fare, cat videos, the great depression cooking lady, freddy w, etc all come alive and go to war with all those timelapses and demo reels from vimeo. Could be cool.

To answer your question, I post to both. Youtube gets more views but you're among cat videos and 'how to do crazy eye makeup' videos. Vimeo is more artsy and has better compression so your videos look purdier.

Youtube gets more views but you're among cat videos and 'how to do crazy eye makeup' videos. Vimeo is more artsy and has better compression so your videos look purdier.

That's pretty close to what I would have said... It's a tradeoff between quality vs. viewer potential.

I do like how Vimeo videos embed on websites (and I've got the freebie/basic account... I think the paid accounts offer more flexibility.)

I am debating on paying the monthly fee for Vimeo so I can upload HD videos there. I was just wondering how others feel about the site and it seems people share my view. Youtube seems to be better for viewers if you can get them from the "viral" videos, but Vimeo is better for showing the film the way it was meant to be seen. Now the question is how to get view to Vimeo.

Keep in mind that this isn't a black and white distinction. I have seen videos go legitimately viral on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/31158841), and there is very high-quality filmmaking to be had on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/juliansmith87 ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmbv8kevQ-E).

The plan I'm personally taking is to be on YouTube first to hopefully gain a following, and only cross-post my "best" videos onto Vimeo. But to each his own.

EDIT: Dreadylocks, which site would you post that video to?

Last edited:
YouTube seems to squash the heck out of my music.. which implies that it does this to all audio. If there's a way around it, I'd love to know.

That's weird. I signed up for vimeo like 3 weeks ago and still haven't gotten a confirmation email or account. :/

You should probably reapply... I've created several accounts for clients and it usually takes about 30 seconds to get that email. So yeah, reapply or check spam or something.

New interface felt a little odd at first, but really liking it now. Just like any software upgrade, once you realize why they moved X and it actually makes workflow easier you get that "ohhhh" feeling and appreciate it haha. Uploading multiple videos at once is pretty sweet too!

I checked out the recommended site but the 100 MB limit on file size is a real turn off for me.

Thanks,

Jeff

I set the maximum file size to 100mb for now since the site is new, i have 1100tb of storage on my server so if you have a video that is 500gb, thats totaly fine it would just take forever to upload, but for right now im keeping it at 100mb unless you send me a message and ill raise the limit

race

Well, do you want quantity in viewership, or want to hit the right audience and have quality? And I agree with the above. Cat videos and make up is hard to compete with on youtube. Damn peoples >.<

I use both youtube and vimeo. To me vimeo is a better platform to post "higher quality" work. Youtube can reach more views but it seems like vimeo has more short films and videos from people working in video/audio/film enviroment. There are also groups that feature music videos, short films or categories like that.

Youtube seems to be more of a commercial type site and vimeo is more just video/arty. Then again youtube does have HD now and 3D!

Back