Your "real" job

S

Scud

So, assuming you don;t have a job pertaining to film. What is the next best job to have while being able to get movies done in spare time?

Job

Scud said:
So, assuming you don;t have a job pertaining to film. What is the next best job to have while being able to get movies done in spare time?

I work 7&7 which gives me plenty of time to make films, and work on my side business (wedding video) which I do so that I can make films. I worked as a PA for a production company, and programed CD ROMs for a design firm. They were both cool jobs, but what I really wanted to do was make films, so I got a job in the oil field with a kick ass schedual that pays double what both of the above jobs do, and now I have the time to make films. I guess what I'm saying is find out what is important to you, if being able to say you work in the industry is important to you, then expect to work very long hours on someone else's project for very little money and you will more than likely be to tired to work on your own films. Or get a job that allows you the time to make films for you. Good luck on whatever path you take.

i just got a job at a place called Pusser's. They do carribean food, and RUM, lots and lots of rum.

I got to college in the mornings, then work around 5pm till night. I'm a server :) so atleast i get tips.

The way I see it is get a job doing something you enjoy! You're going to spend most of your life at work sadlly....

What I may end up doing in going into some form of medicine. Good hours and great pay to help finance shoots and equipment :)

Since writing/directing movies isn't my full time job I work crew on other peoples films and as a theater stage hand.

That seems to me the next best job. It keep you in touch with other filmmakers though it doesn't leave much in the way of spare time.

You get paid to do that directorik? I'm allowed to help out in rehearsals on plays, and do stage hand stuff, as a volunteer, no one's paying me though... And the only chance i had at working on a filmcrew was with sonnyboo's NYCMMMM set, and i was out of town! :(

I work at a multimedia company that creates industrial safety training videos. While the milieu isn't my style (fireproof greens are never a perk), the job does keep me editing five days a week, so I get to hone my skills even under insane deadline pressure. Plus, they allow me to use the equipment outside of work, which has saved me a lot of money in start-up fees thus far. It's been a great way to get practice and still pull down a decent paycheck.

I work at an advertising company in the A/V Department. My offical title is 'A/V Coordinator' even though I don't really coordinate anything. Basically, my main tasks are doing dubs for people, creating presentation reels, and general organization, but I also get about 2 big projects once a month that I edit. I have an Avid Composer to myself, which is very cool. I can also use it for personal projects as long as I have the drive space. I guess really I'm like an editor's assistant.

I work at McDonald's. I am 22 and I've worked there since I was 15 all through college. Ugh! I have been looking for an art related job ever since I graduated in March. Will anyone hire me! It sucks working at fast food. I think I am being tortured. haha

Air Force for me. Not a particularly great job to feed the creativity machine. Networking can be a pain in the ass. Not many people in the military are into the art scene, so it makes water cooler discussion a bit of downer.

I like the chance to do things most people don't get the chances to do. Blow things up legally, fly in an f-16 (once), travel, shoot an M16 at people and not be put on trial. So there are give and takes to it. I didn't decide I wanted to work in film until after I joined the military.

hey scooter, have you killed anyone yet? My dad was in the airforce during the cold war, all he ever tells me is that he was in "Crypto" and cant/wont tell me anything else...I get annoyed, i always try to get it out of him but he wont say anything :(

rizien said:
You get paid to do that directorik? I'm allowed to help out in rehearsals on plays, and do stage hand stuff, as a volunteer, no one's paying me though... And the only chance i had at working on a filmcrew was with sonnyboo's NYCMMMM set, and i was out of town! :(
I make a great living at it. The down side is 8 shows a week - doesn't leave much free time. The up side is except for weekends (2 show days) you have all day off.

Crew work is another story. The down side is 12 hour days, 6 day weeks doesn't leave any time to do anything else - and you sure don't work 40-45 weeks a year. The up side is you can make a great rate and can afford to take time off to make your own movies - plus you meet a lot of professionals who work on your movies for less than their day rate.

rizen - you gotta go where the work is. I understand that's not always possable. But you'll never get a chance to work on a movie if you don't live where movies are made.

Last edited:
Ugghhh! Real jobs...

between all of us here;

Blockbuster video, taco bell, pizza hut, dishwasher, waiter, cook, grocery store, film students w/o jobs, movie extra work, etc.

Mylkhead. You must be a superhero to have the talent you do and be able to not kill yourself after 7 years at McDonalds. I don't think any of us have lasted longer than a year or 2 at any of these jobs.

How do you do it?

Mike-B
Alter Ego Cinema
www.alteregocinema.com

I work as a freelance "media consultant" helping companies create training CD-ROMs and educational videos. I use to have a full-time gig working for a company making pharmaceutcial training programs, but struck out on my own at the beginning of this year. So far, I've been lucky to make a decent living (thanks to the network I built while working at my "real job"), have worked on projects I'm much more passionate about (children's videos), and set my own hours which leaves me more time for filmmaking.

Prior to that I spent a number of years doing various jobs for industrial video companies (off-line editor, PA, Avid editor, etc.). While I did find some level of security in working for a company, I have to say being on my own has been the most rewarding thing I've ever done. However, I never could have done this if I hadn't spent those previous years learning a lot from other people, and picking up skills, while getting a steady paycheck. Overall, I think working in some kind of media-related job(even if it doesn't pay well) is beneficial, just for what you learn, the people you meet, and the access to cheap gear you can borrow for your own productions.

My Real Job.....

Currently I work for a division of United Airlines. We maintain United.com, Mypoints.com, Ameniti.com, Silverwingsplus.com, mymileageplus.com, unitedcargo.com, and about 10 other sites.

I also own http://DiscountCommunication.com but have been headstrong onto productions that I have been letting it slide. I also am working on a new website, MWindie.com for all the indipendent artists in the MidWest. There are a couple that are down now. I figured that I could make a more stable one.

I would say my biggest job is maintaining family happiness. 6 year old twins and a lovely wife all living in harmony... YEA RIGHT!! hahaha... But family does take up most of my time. My studio time is minimal, maybe an hour or 2 a week.

Real job...

Scud said:

I'm lucky... I retired from the Navy back in '98 so that's one paycheck. Before I retired, I was able to start a couple of businesses on the internet that pay better than any other job I've ever had... So I pretty much do what I want when I want... The downside? It took me over 20 years to achieve it... LOL.

filmy

Ya you must really Love the film biz to deal with fast food. Theater is not bad, and some of those other jobs people mentioned. But you want a cool fun job, and your somewhat in the business. Work for a local TV station. I work for the local NBC affiliate out here in Las Vegas, and I love it. I'm the technical Director for the 4,5,6, and the eleven O'clock newscasts. I get free hook ups to alot of clubs, every once in a while we interview famous people. which is cool for networking. The Other day I had to do one of those I can't make it to the awards ceremony video that plays back at the awards, for Andre Agassis wife. And I saw Andre just walking around. I 've also seen Dan akroyd the dude from ghostbusters. So it's not that bad. Plus you can always use equipment once you know everyone. But this job also takes up alot of your day. But one main thing you have alot of down time so i just come on here, and work on my website while I get paid.

Just go to www.TVjobs.com, and search for some jobs there if you want. You will need a username and password, but I can hook you up just email me, and i'll give you the info. It's only like $20 a year. But to save money, just email me saying you want it. well thats my speal sorry for the mini book. Good Luck

Back