Your opinion: Best Steadicam-like stabilization system

Loud Orange Cat

Pro Member
indiePRO
Personally, I have a Steadicam JR from about 10 years ago. But it's not well suited at all for today's cameras (like some of the new stuff I have).

So I'm asking for your opinion: What's the best Steadicam-like camcorder stabilizing system you've used?

I've seen dozens of slick ripoffs on Amazon for around $100 (and I spent a cool $600 for my name brand beauty for my old Sony PD170 so many years ago). Are the new cheap ones just as good? What's quality and what's crap?

never heard of this company. My camera with extra lenses, external mic and largest battery will be well under the 3.5lb weight limit.

Opteka makes cheap lo-end gear. They've been around a while.

I actually have that steady-grip you linked. It's okay, but the max weight is closer to a T2i with kit 18-55 lens. Don't bother with battery-grips or top-mounted accessories that will either add too much weight, or raise the center of gravity.

I saw the Glidecam XR and HD series. What's the difference?

The HD series is easier to adjust and balance.

The base plate on the HD series has the weights attached to wings that can be extended. You can slide the XR series weights forward or back, but the overall length of the base plate remains the same.

Also the HD series has a quick release camera plate and knobs for fine balance adjustment. The XR series has neither of these.

Of the differences, I'd say the fine balance knobs are the biggest. They really make achieving balance easier.

My best point of reference is YouTube. I spent some time watching examples of each one and loved the Glidecam out of all of them.

It's ordered, will be here tomorrow.

I love being a Prime member with Amazon. For an extra three bucks, I can have anything overnighted).

Thanks for the input!!

Steadicam introduced a new steadicam at NAB which would be ceratinly worth looking at. Designed for DSLRs and small cameras, easy and quick to balance and get setup with, useable with a vest or without a vest, and also doubles as a monopod.
Looks great, though I don't know pricing (or even what the model is called - maybe Steadicam solo?)

You'll do okay with that :)

Just make sure you take the time to really balance it, before using it. If you're going to be using the same camera configuration a lot, you can make markings on the plates to help line things up faster next time, too.

What you shooting with it?

I originally wanted this:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/hd_video_cameras/xf300

but the low light performance is crap. So I settled for this:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/vixia_hf_g20

since it has a f/1.9 lens and it can see much better than I can at night with the naked eye. I'm quite shocked at this little consumer camera can shoot in true 24p (NOT some bullshit pulldown on a 29.97fps timeline) in almost complete darkness. It's true slow shutter and complete control of every conceivable attribute makes this a winner for me. Damn cheap, too.

Everyone should have one of these (even if it's a B roll camera). I just love the thing.

...and this, coming from someone who started on a Sony PD170 10 years ago. :)

Back