Your FIRST Very Own Short Film: What Should You Focus On?

Simple question:

For the very first short film that you're planning on directing / producing, what should you concentrate on in order to be successful?

I didn't go to film school. But I'm a huge fan of Truffaut, Kubrick, Cassavetes, and other biggies. Suffice it to say there is NO WAY in hell that my first film project will hold anything like a candle to their own first real stabs in cinema. And to be honest, filmmaking is (I'm sure you'll think it dumb of me to say but it ought to be said, for the newbies out there) EXTRAORDINARILY complex.

Colour grading. Pulling focus. L-Cut. J-Cut. S-Cut. Location scouting. Workflow in post production. And on and on and on and on and .... I can see why so many risktakers give up on film eventually. It can all seem too much.

That said, I don't want to make the filmmaking process wrinkle-free. I'd just like to know -- from the bona fide pro's out here -- what/how THEY would advise rookies to pursue their first goes at this exhausting, empowering art form.

Thanks...

I would advise to simply go out and shoot it. Just do it. Use whatever you've got and go out and make something. It will probably be awful. But then you make another. And another. And slowly they get better.

Go and volunteer on someone else's film. PA for a low budget production. Be an extra on set. See how others do it. And keep making your own films.

This film won't be your last so don't treat it like it will be. Make it and move on to the next one. Try not to get too overwhelmed by everything. At this point, it's all a learning experience, so even if you find that everything you shot is 3-stops over exposed, you'll know not to make the same mistake next time.

Oh, and have fun! There's plenty of time when you're more experienced and shooting features to be stressed out.

I would agree with the post above this one. Just go shoot and edit. Do it over and over and over again. Don't be stressed over a large project, but take things one step at a time.

A good tip for beginners is to know your limitations and try to shoot according to what you have. Watch a lot of short films and plan plan plan everything!

Also make sure your content is clear and good. With out good content then your short is worthless. Camera movement is built around your actors and the emotions they portray. Cinematography is there to enhance the actor's performance, for example: if I were shooting an action scene where there is a lot of fighting, shaky footage would act as an enhancement to the viewer as if they are in the scene themselves. Largely this is considered personal preference though. Some directors wont ever touch shaky footage, but some directors love it.

hope this is helpful.

yup, get filming. Keep it simple and inexpensive. Save up some money for a short film that you will make NEXT YEAR. Everything between now and then is learning and testing.

film making is never "wrinkle free!" Dealing with the wrinkles is the fun part!

Think of something where you're NOT spending ANY money to make it.
Consider your first dozen shorts to be tests.

You're testing your camera.
You're testing your camera fps rate, resolution, aperture, focus, etc. settings.
You're testing your on/off board microphone.
You're testing your tripod.
You're testing your extra lenses.
You're testing your memory card.
You're testing your ability to write a coherent story.
You're testing your ability to find locations, costumes, and props.
You're testing your ability to direct people. To even organize people.
You're testing your composition and camera movement.
Can you keep your camera level?
Can you white balance before color correcting?
Do you know the difference between color correcting and color grading?
You're testing your editing computer's limitations.
You're testing your NLE's operating parameters.
You're testing your ability to edit the video you've collected.
You're testing your ability to edit your audio.
You're testing your foley capabilities.
You're testing your export settings.
You're testing your ability to promote and market your final product.
Do you even know WHERE the final product will be shown?
What are their spec requirements?

When you kinda know what you're doing - then start spending your money wisely.

Time + Effort + Money ≠ Good Film Product

Do several no budget shorts. Get your process down pat.
You'll learn a lot - over time and practice.

I kinda want to retract my ealier statement.. though there is wise counsel here.. maybe its turning you off..

My heart says this..

Don't hesitate, go make a movie, do the best you can, post the results here. I cant wait to see it!

What you should concentrate on is two things during production.

The first is telling a good story.

The second is picking the one on-set technical aspect that will most enhance that specific story.

My personal bias is well known and obvious - you should capture great production sound.

Post is a different animal all together. During post you can take all of the time that you want - you can do things, decide you hate them, and go back to square one and start over. You are not time limited as you are when you're shooting.

The biggest problem is that ALL of the technical aspects and ALL of the artistic aspects are interrelated.

Thanks a ton to all of the extremely wise and persuasive thoughts provided here so far!

I hear a lot of, "your first film WILL suck," "don't expect much from your first project," and the like.

On the one hand, I definitely honor and acknowledge that. Film phenoms aren't made in a day, of course. (Well... except Paul Thomas Anderson... but that's for another thread.)

On the other hand, however, I cannot afford for this project to not prove successful at least in terms of professional, meaningful quality. This project is an actor's piece, designed to provide a number of talented folks with material for their demo reels, in addition to being a worthwhile film that will be sent out to casting directors, producers, etc. It can't be crap. Lol.

So... next question: so that a first-timer's film doesn't turn out to be crap, but so that he can still utilize the process as a learning experience, what would you recommend?

So... next question: so that a first-timer's film doesn't turn out to be crap, but so that he can still utilize the process as a learning experience, what would you recommend?

Surround yourself with a bunch of highly experienced crew, and then listen to them.

You're the Director so you certainly have the vision, but when your experienced DP turns around and says 'if we do this, it won't cut and you'll be stuck in the edit', it's better to listen ;)

Thanks a ton to all of the extremely wise and persuasive thoughts provided here so far!

I hear a lot of, "your first film WILL suck," "don't expect much from your first project," and the like.

On the one hand, I definitely honor and acknowledge that. Film phenoms aren't made in a day, of course. (Well... except Paul Thomas Anderson... but that's for another thread.)

On the other hand, however, I cannot afford for this project to not prove successful at least in terms of professional, meaningful quality. This project is an actor's piece, designed to provide a number of talented folks with material for their demo reels, in addition to being a worthwhile film that will be sent out to casting directors, producers, etc. It can't be crap. Lol.

If the film is based around the "acting" then the acting will sell your film. Focus on your audio and try and make it sound professional. bad video with GREAT audio will win over bad sound with GREAT video any day.

Then don't do this as your first time.

Your first two or three are gonna be cr@p.
Guaranteed.
It's inescapable.
There's just too d@mn much to learn.

The actual TIME deadline may be beating down your door, so you'd better get a move on and start popping out some test-babies ASAP between now and then.

This sh!t ain't easy.
It isn't mowing the lawn.
It's baking a cake and icing it, too, then transporting it across town.

20120423FilmmakerWannabeNube.png

For your talented actors, do they practice their scenes and lines?
Start shooting those.
Then start editing it.
Get feedback from people who know WTH they're looking at. (Many around here can fill that bill. ;))

GL!

Back