You guys know any websites for free stock footage?

Pond5.com has a free clip every week.
iStockphoto.com has a free clip every month.
Videoblocks.com has a free week of unlimited downloads, $80 a month after that.
FootageFirm.com mails you a free DVD stock library of 10-25 clips... for $7.95 a disc. Still cheap.
And my favorite place for stuff like this.

I think I'm the only one who laughed at the last URL you gave as example for free stock footage :lol: And thanks to you as well, I can now Google lots of things for my smart friends.

And for the record... I did google that for the OP and posted the link, as I do with almost all my posts here. I learned everything I know by spending HOURS scouring the web for any nuggets of insight... now I've got a head full of random specific tidbits that I could save someone else hours by knowing what I'm looking for. Much of my education on this stuff was free online... I would feel guilty not sharing the information freely.

Haha, sorry. Didn't mean to offend at all, I've asked questions before i could have easily searches and gotten it too. Harmless fun, simultaneously pointing out that a quick search would've gotten answers faster, instead of waiting for someone to come across the thread with the right knowledge.

I did preface it with 4 quality answers too, the last one, again, just for fun. :)

You did indeed preface it with quality answers and the current OP may be a person with whom you've judged that type of sarcasm to be ok... personally (not as a mod -- nor was the other post from the perspective of a moderator here, just as a person who spends a good deal of time on many forums of different interest areas), I think that the LMGTFY effect won't just reach the OP of the question, but everybody who searches in the future for this information.

I learned to program from people sitting next to me in computer labs when I was younger... later on in my programming career, the internets as they are now called generated a faceless anonymity that if done in person would come off as blatantly indignant... The patient people who taught me gave me a career for 10 years and a passion for shared information. They also taught me where to (and how to) search for information on my own.

I wish they had named LMGTFY differently, but the intention was to give the information while backhandedly insulting the recipient of the knowledge for their lack of knowledge. While that may not have been your intention, LMGTFY comes preloaded with its own meaning, and it's derogatory.

Presented with that as a geeky, socially awkward preteen, I would have left the computer lab and never gained the knowledge that eventually bought me a house. I prefer to stay positive because I know I can be a positive influence on someone's future.

That all said, it's really just a pet peeve of mine, and you can feel free to continue to use the service if you'd like.

Free Stockfootage - stock video

Hi Allan,

We are giving away 500 downloads of one of our shots.

It's a Full HD version of a great time-lapse clouds clip for unlimited royalty-free use within your projects for the rest of all time!
Here is how to get it.

1. Go to the link below.
2. Click on 'Get a quote' (You will need to be registered and logged on)
3. Fill in your intended use as 'FREE' and submit.

http://wowstockfootage.com/clip.php?id=1431

cheers!

Steve Thomson
WOWstockfootage.com

Back