• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

XLR port, and sound.

I have a panasonic ag-hmc40. On the right side i see an XLR port..Now i have a general idea with this is for, but i am not sure. Also is there anyway i can record a conversation with a mono wire and place the sound on both left and right side instead of just left? :huh:

I have a panasonic ag-hmc40. On the right side i see an XLR port..Now i have a general idea with this is for, but i am not sure. Also is there anyway i can record a conversation with a mono wire and place the sound on both left and right side instead of just left? :huh:

I'm not familiar with that particular camera, but many cameras have a switch to assign an input channel. If not, you can put individual mono channels wherever you want in the stereo output with most video editing software.

There are specific types of microphones that have XLR connectors and you'll need to learn about that. What kind of project are you working on?

Okay...

First, as far as I can tell from the specs the camera does not, repeat, does not, have an XLR input.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Input and Output Connectors

Component: Mini-D (x1 Output)
HDMI: HDMI (x1 Output)
Mic: 3.5mm Mini Jack (x1 Input) <<<<<<<
Headphone: Stereo Mini Jack
USB: USB 2.0
Camera Remote: Super Mini Jack for Zoom, Mini Jack for Focus and Iris

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

What you are doing is plugging a condenser mic with an XLR connector to a camera with a 3.5mm minipin audio input port. The mic runs on a battery so at least you don't have any phantom power worries (for now). What you need is an impedance matching transformer that will also route the mic signal to both channels of the camera. The LMT-100 will do that for $20.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/589872-REG/Pearstone_8111240_LMT100_Low_to.html

If you're currently using just an XLR to minipin adapter (no impedance matcher) your sound should get a bit cleaner with better levels if you get the LMT-100 or something similar.

The next step would be either a mixer to hook up to the camera like the juicedLink CX231 or a dedicated digital audio recorder. Since they are about the same cost I would recommend a digital recorder like the DR-100, or something substantially better like the PMD-661, HD-P2 or R-44.

Last edited:
what i have on the camera is an XLR adapter..it has like 8 holes.

XLR mic connector only has 3 holes. As Alcove said, that's not an XLR.

It appears that your camera has a multi-pin connector designed for use with the AG-MYA30G XLR adapter. But if you don't actually have the adapter you don't have XLR capability. It's worth getting, BTW, IMHO.

Last edited:
Here's an XLR input port:

1002.jpg

Here's a Mini-D:

99099_102220073291_ExhibitPic_thumb.jpg

Here's an HDMI port:

2011-04-24_102324_hdmi_port_big.jpg

Which one is on your camera? My guess would be the Mini-D.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.212349635467478.47752.100000773283222&l=7d5cde4de2

Guys check this out just so you can see what i am looking at. If it doesnt work tell me

Okay, that connector is for this:

Optional AG-MYA30G Professional XLR adapter available (features audio inputs with +48V Phantom Power, Mic/Line, Attentuation, Ch 1&2 or Ch2, Level Controls and Mic Holder (8 pin push on precision connector)

So you need this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/316100-REG/Panasonic_AG_MYA30G_AG_MYA30G_XLR_Microphone.html

Back