• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Writing narration for documentaries

I've thought a lot about doing both screenwriting (in terms of fiction) and making documentary films, but since I tend to find real life somewhat more fascinating than some movies or TV shows, I am wondering about the process of writing narration for documentaries. I haven't really decided about whether or not I want to put narration in any of my documentaries, but I'm wondering just how exactly someone goes about writing narration, like if there's a specific technique that comes with doing it like there is for fiction writing or something. Does anyone have any suggestions on this, any ideas? I still want to be a writer, in addition to being a filmmaker, and this is primarily why I'm asking about the process of writing narration. Anyway, please let me know. Thanks.

I agree with the above poster that watching good documentaries is a great way to find out how to write narration.

There are a lot of different styles and, to some extent, it depends on who is narrating it. Will there be someone onscreen during the doumentary, and will they be narrating it? Or will you get someone else, like Morgan Freeman :P , to do the narration?

In the first case it will be more personal, opinionated and based on experience. In the second it will be based on facts, facts and more facts. It will serve to illuminate what's on screen but it won't be giving a personal side to the presentation.

But I can certainly recommend some worthwhile watches for either of these ways of business... :)

The narration for my film will be off-screen, and I've decided to narrate it myself. Right now I am doing some research on the subject, which in my case, is the local high school football team, and whatever I can find about its coach, players, statistics, etc. I figure that I would just let the story play out on screen and not really comment on what's going on in the movie itself through narration. Of course, the actual filming won't be until the start of next football season next year, but this is what I'm doing in the pre-production process.

By the way, what documentaries would you recommend I watch to pick up on approaches for narration? Thanks for the advice.

During the filming will you be interviewing people? Will you be filming or will you ever step out in front of the camera?

This will make a difference as to how people perceive you as the narrator. If you acknowledge that you are both narrator and filmmaker it will give you license to add comment, but if you just want to stick to adding additional information then that's not necessary.

Documentaries that I would recommend with the filmmaker as narrator:

Grizzly Man and Encounters at the End of the Earth- both of these have the inimitable Werner Herzog.

All Michael Moore films- regardless of what you think of him as a person they're worth a watch.

Taxi To The Dark Side- Narrated by documentary filmmaker Alex Gibney and possibly the greatest documentary ever made...

Just some recommendations, others will recommend other films :)

documentaries would you recommend I watch to pick up on approaches for narration?

March of the Penguins. :cool:

Pretty much any animal-doc, too, 'cos animals can't speak and describe their own actions on camera. Necessity requires a human to narrate.

I can think of tonnes of other docs that are awesome, but don't really rely on narration.

I will be doing the interviews, and filming the majority of the content, as well as editing the piece. I'm not going to appear on camera. A friend of mine from my college video production class has offered to help me, and I may ask her to do so, because all of the filming is being done in the course of a week, because this film revolves around a week leading up to the team's first game of the season. I probably will acknowledge to the interview subjects that I will be narrating the film as well. For logistical reasons (and because their opponent has not been announced yet) I am doing this film from the perspective of one team, but I will try to be as objective as possible in terms of the narration, and the filming, at least during the game.

In terms of filming, I will try to film the game play, and maybe let my partner handle the reaction shots from the sidelines. If it works out this way, we'll both be on the sidelines, but I will be in another spot filming the game. Of course, I need to check with the coach, and if I have enough time with my schedule (assuming I don't have school) I will have enough time in my schedule to attend the coaching sessions, the practices, and to schedule interviews.

I've been wanting to watch some of Michael Moore's films, because I tend to fall in line with him politically, and even though he makes himself a part of the film by appearing on-camera, it is effective because of the research that he does, which helps him to make his points clearly. I will have to take a look at the others, especially Alex Gibney, because he has a new documentary about the incident during Game 6 of the Cubs-Marlins National League Championship Series where a fan interfered with a foul ball and robbed Moises Alou of a possible catch, leading to the Cubs losing the game, and eventually the series, continuing the bad luck of the Cubs franchise. It's coming out sometime next year as part of the ESPN "30 for 30" series. Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Back