• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Writing a coherent story

Dear god I want to f**king kill myself already.
I am on my final year of film school, Trying to create my masterpiece but I keep being told "your images are strong, but you need to write a coherent story". I don't give up. I wrote story after story after story. They all involved a guy that sees a warped version of reality, they all had 3 story arcs, Things make perfect sense in my mind but when I see it to my teachers they are scratching their heads.

I've been told today that maybe I should choose some tale, joke or song that I like and give it my own spin. I might do that but I can't shake this feeling of wanting to tell my own story. For the last month and a half I've been writing and drawing storyboard everyday, all day long. Something should have paid off didn't it?

And whats making me the most crazy is that they expected me to succeed, they believed in me and I feel like i've failed them and myself, while doing my very best.

Can anyone help me make a coherent story in this last attempt before I'll be made to make something that I didn't come up with?

Thank you.

Sounds like they want a boring same old, same old story and your hell bent on having an awesome original.
If thats the case, i'd do your story. Eraserhead isn't coherent. But it is forever in history.

And to help you make a coherent story, we going to have to know what the story is.
Someone will ask this. So i went ahead and did it.

Sounds like they want a boring same old, same old story and your hell bent on having an awesome original.

If thats the case, i'd do your story. Eraserhead isn't coherent. But it is forever in history.
I think you're spot on on the first statement.
Dead wrong on the second.

To Almd -
I remember from my graphic design skule daze (a hundred years ago) that I'd sit in class and watch in amazement the more immature students whine and gripe to the instructor about how much time and effort they put into a project that the rest of us would see as... cr@p. Just like the instructor intimated - in a much more professional way, of course!

Children & poor students equate time, effort, and energy expended as creating some product of value.

Wrong.

A product is a commodity.
Oil.
Copper.
Gold.
lumber.
Soy beans.
Check out girl at WalMart.
Dentist drilling holes in your head.
Surgeons cutting out your bits and pieces.
Congressmen wheeling and dealing behind closed doors to bring pork barrel project cash to their/your district.
POTUS giving implicit approval of illegal technology sales to semi-allies to curry favor.
Art.
Film.

All are commodities someone else has to find VALUE in.

Your instructors' positions at the school are commodities.
If they can't filter out students that can't produce film product commodities they lose their jobs.

Write and film industry standard schlock for your instructors so that you can get your degree and maybe a job.
On your own time and nickel write and film your Ed Wood/Uwe Bol special.

"Yes", that sux.
"Yes", it will also work.

Review this:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...EI1dGU1VUxaVDhCQmVnVFBLeUxSaWc&hl=en_US#gid=0

Look for this story pattern in some films, then make one following the same cookie cut-out.
20110720StoryConstraints-Compact-1.jpg

Here are some examples:

SWANN CLEAN
(Based upon BLACK SWAN)​
NATE wakes up in a cliche filty apartment. Goes to interview for a job as a janitor. The janitor job involves both vacuuming and cleaning with spray bottle and rag. The boss, MR SWANN, notes Nate does well with the vacuum cleaner but doesn't do so well with spray bottle and rag. Desperate for a new office contract and despite shortcomings Nate is provisionally hired for the janitorial job with a warning to never sniff the cleaning solution.
But the question remains can Nate maintain his job?
Nate and his new co-worker LARRY are assigned to clean both a small and large meeting room before a deadline. Vacuum silliness & spray bottle difficulties ensue demonstrating what an excellent vacuum operator Nate is.
However, he breaks his spray bottle and has misplaced his cleaning rag. Actually, he's starting to flip out and thinks he saw himself steal the cleaning rag! Larry kids him about sniffing the poisons in the cleaning solution. Fortunately, with Larry's help he fixes the bottle and finds the lost cleaning rag. All is well until Larry tricks Nate into locking up his vacuum! Oh, no! The Boss is going to fire Nate for sure!
Using universal paperclip skills, Nate unlocks the door, continues with cleaning the meeting room on time. Despite bottle damage, missing rag and vacuum attachments by Larry, Nate does an excellent job cleaning the meeting room! Supervisor is impressed. Nate dies of cleaning solution poisoning.

BERT'S BUBBLES
(Based upon THE KING'S SPEECH)​
BERT can't blow bubbles with bubble gum and endeavors to learn how. He is introduced to NELL who gives Bert "special" gum. It tastes funny and Bert is reluctant to even try. However, with Nell's "special" gum BERT learns to blow his very first bubble!
He practices blowing bubbles in different places. Delighted with his modicum of success, he shows his nascent bubble blowing skills to his big brother TED, the Bubble King, mired in his own troubles as he considers leaving town for job/college.
Nell tells Bert he could become the new Bubble King! This angers Bert who loves his big brother very much, causing Bert and Nell get into relationship ending argument. Big brother get's job/acepted into college and leaves. Bert is now alone with no one as his friend.
BERT realizes his foolishness, resolves his issues with both Nell and Ted before trying to become the new Bubble King. Devastated by learning Nell's "special" gum isn't special Bert carries on to blow his best bubbles ever with Nell's help.

STOPCOCK
(Based upon 127 HOURS)​
Arguing brothers/friends/couple are cleaning up and winterizing a cabin which includes cutting off the water with the stopcock under/behind the house and draining water from pipes. While fixing the kitchen sink the argument seems to be resolving but then goes very bad, the other party leaves in their vehicle quite angry. Mad, angry and frustrated RON grabs after a dropped screw nut into the sink, getting his hand stuck in the garbage disposal.
Fun & games ensue as he fruitlessly pulls, reaches for nearby objects, and debates cutting off his own arm with the large assortment of knives nearby. No food. No water, though.
Finally his cell phone rings! Unfortunately it's just out of reach and unanswerable. But surely the caller/pissed friend/brother/girlfriend will realize he's not returned and will come looking for him in a day or two. Or three.
Ron understands he's been a jerk and wouldn't be surprised if no one has any intention of coming back looking for him. He resolves to cut off his hand. After a gruesome and miserable process he cuts loose and drives to ER.

GOTH DISTRICT
(Based upon DISTRICT 9)​
School security guard, VIC, assigned to direct goth students away from the side of the building. Trying to get them to leave he accepts a drink from a cute girl goth but spills the drink on himself. Laughing and cajoling at Vic's predicament it looks like the goths are going to leave until Vic is accidentally sprayed with Mace from the girly goth's key ring. Vic gets sick, vomits, passes out behind the school.
Waking from fainting he finds his nails are painted black and his wet uniform shirt changed for black. His injured head from the fall is bandaged with black scarf. Wondering where he is, Vic's co-worker Kurt goes to find him, find's the girly goth's car keys, sees the goths are still not removed from the side of the school and goes to get help. When they return Kurt and the guards find Vic has become a Goth!
Persecuted by former friends, Vic must get girly goth's car keys from the office to escape before he gets fired!
Vic gets keys, gets to car, gets home to a clean uniform but say's screwwit and doinks the girl goth instead!

HUMILIATION
(Based upon INCEPTION)​
Three friends bored watching TV, as a gag SAM suggests ROB try to convince BOB through a shared dreaming experience that Bob is a woman. Rob knows he can do it, but is afraid his small joke might become a permanent problem for Bob. Rob accepts the challenge only if Sam assists.
All three are inducted into a shared dream several levels deep culminating in Bob about to put on a dress.
But Bob refuses because he's embarrassed and confesses he wants to become a transvestite, Rob and Sam laugh until Rob breaks down crying inconsolably for ruining Bob's life.
Sam feels bad about hurting Rob's feelings and tries to make him laugh by putting on the dress and makeup. Rob, Sam and Bob all wake up and Sam is actually wearing make up and women's clothes and confesses to investigating transsexual surgery

INSERTION
(Based upon INCEPTION)​
ROB and MARY are hi-tech shared dreaming pimp & prostitute. BOB is a new customer very eager to pay Mary enough to have "D-sex" with her, but balks at Rob attending, which he insists for security purposes. Finally Bob agrees to pay for the D-sex with Mary.
The sexcapades go levels deep as Bob demonstrates that he's really a very nice and wealthy guy. Bob suggests Mary leave Rob and run away with him. Undeterred, Mary knows Rob will always be there for him.
They uncover that Rob is actually a user bastard and Mary falls in love with Bob, will leave Rob, and run away with Bob to get married.
Angry and scared Rob figures a way out, tricks Mary and Rob into an infinite loop, Rob and Mary wake up and drown sleeping Bob in the bathtub.

CONCEPTION
(Based upon INCEPTION)​
MARY and Rob are hi-tech dream surrogate and broker. BOB is a new customer very eager to pay Mary enough to have a shared dream-family with her, but balks at Rob attending, which he insists for security purposes. Finally Bob agrees to pay for the D-sex with Mary.
The family life go levels deep as Bob demonstrates that he's really a very nice and wealthy guy. Bob suggests Mary leave Rob and run away with him. Undeterred, Mary knows Rob will always be there for him.
They uncover that Rob is actually a user bastard and Mary falls in love with Bob, will leave Rob, and run away with Bob to get married.
Angry and scared Rob figures a way out, tricks Mary and Rob into an infinite loop, Rob and Mary wake up and drown sleeping Bob in the bathtub.

BATTLE: ANTHONY'S LAWN
(Based on BATTLE: L.A.)​
Anthony's girl is gonna b!tch if the grass isn't cut by the time she returns from X. If he can get the lawn cut fast enough he can watch the last quarter of the game! But the lawnmower is out of gas. He can siphon gas from his car, but the gas can in wife's SUV, must find and use an "unapproved container". Siphons gas from his car.
All gassed up, now the garage door won't open. Checks battery, checks circuit breaker, nothing. Pulls manual release lever and pushes up door.
Now the lawnmower won't start! Jump starts lawnmower from car.
Finally, he get's the lawnmower running. Despite all the shit in the yard and in the grass Anthony gets the grass cut, misses the last quarter of the game, but does avoid his wife's bitching!

TOP MOM
(Based on TOP GUN)​
Mom's doing a bunch of loads of laundry. Afterwards she'd like to get started on supper. Gotta go pick up dirty clothes around the house. Loads and washes whites before cleaning kitchen. Whites are done! Start towels, dry whites. Whites are done! Dry towels. Fold whites.
Mom finds some socks are missing. Whatever. She gives up looking. There are a bunch of socks missing! Phone starts ringing
Mom in law (MIL) needs help finding not one but four things on the computer. Mom's never going to get dinner started! Finds two things for MIL, can't find a third, finds a fourth. Honey comes home and takes her out for being good to his mom.

GL!

Last edited:
I think you're spot on on the first statement.
Dead wrong on the second.

To Almd -
I remember from my graphic design skule daze (a hundred years ago) that I'd sit in class and watch in amazement the more immature students whine and gripe to the instructor about how much time and effort they put into a project that the rest of us would see as... cr@p. Just like the instructor intimated - in a much more professional way, of course!

Children & poor students equate time, effort, and energy expended as creating some product of value.

Wrong.

A product is a commodity.
Oil.
Copper.
Gold.
lumber.
Soy beans.
Check out girl at WalMart.
Dentist drilling holes in your head.
Surgeons cutting out your bits and pieces.
Congressmen wheeling and dealing behind closed doors to bring pork barrel project cash to their/your district.
POTUS giving implicit approval of illegal technology sales to semi-allies to curry favor.
Art.
Film.

All are commodities someone else has to find VALUE in.

Your instructors' positions at the school are commodities.
If they can't filter out students that can't produce film product commodities they lose their jobs.

Write and film industry standard schlock for your instructors so that you can get your degree and maybe a job.
On your own time and nickel write and film your Ed Wood/Uwe Bol special.

"Yes", that sux.
"Yes", it will also work.

Review this:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...EI1dGU1VUxaVDhCQmVnVFBLeUxSaWc&hl=en_US#gid=0

Look for this story pattern in some films, then make one following the same cookie cut-out.
20110720StoryConstraints-Compact-1.jpg

GL!

I don't disagree in my being wrong. Just wondering how.

Doesn't that seem sad though? That so many films follow this same plan. It just feels uncreative and dirty and stories shouldn't neccesarily follow this same pattern. It becomes boring and repeitive.
Sorta like Tarantino. He has this dialogue that is sometime totally UNNEEDED. But its fun and intresting. Why can't story structure be that way?

Not aruging just having a fun discussion now.

Thing is I need to get approval at every step, and goddammit I want it too. But I want it on something I believe in.
Okay, I'll wrote down the ideas I gave in the last 6 weeks, if you'd like the full version of either tell me and I'll type it here.
Bear in mind this is supposed to be a short 3D ANIMATED film of 3-5 minutes.
Here we go, the stories in chronological order of when I wrote them:
1. Nathan's on a bus, he sees a cute baby and wonders what would happen to his life in he got up and punches the baby. he snaps out of it afterwards. He starts to imagine more things, like commiting suicide, like running naked in the street, and eventually he goes to a bar and imagines killing a girl that rejected him. But it wasn't his imagination. He looks at his deed and is sickened to his very heart and pulls his eyes out as he cannot bare this image. it was indeed his imagination again but the pulling of his eye out was real.

2. A carpenter tries to obsessively build a pinnochio-like real life doll but demons come and try to stop him from his work. They are in reality doctors who try to pull a mental patient from insanity after his son had died.

3. This is V2 of "1" : Nathan is inlove with a girl in his office and finally asks her out. He goes on his way to a date with her holding a heart shaped chocolate box. he plays with a baby on the bus and worms fly out of the box on the baby's face. He gets to the girl's house and while buzzing the door his finger sticks to it like the skin was a part of the buzzer, loosens as she answers the door but he ramains shaken and dumps the chocolate box before she see it. he is unable to get close to her as he imagines his fingers turning into worms. he messed up the date and walks outside.
2 version of how this goes from here:
3a: he leans on a wall and thinks worms are crawling on him but a guy walks by and stares at him funny and the worms are gone. he throws something at the direction of the guy and it kills him. nathan thinks its in his head but sees that its really and horrified he calls 911. but as he presses "1" the body has disappear. there is a pile of worms instead. he follows the trail of worms to a little dark alley where there's a HUGE pile of worms. the worms grab his feet so he cannot move while shadowy figures from different windows that light up starts peeing on him from high above. He stands there being peed on and gives up in resisting it. he shows up at her house, dry and smiling and hands the girl his eye ball.
3b. He gets out from her house. he sees the dumped chocolate box and steps on it repeatedly. worms crawl out of it and onto him. They suddenly disappears as he hears someone laughing quiety above him. sees figures looking at him from windows and hears soft laughter, he walks away. he then hears moaning and follows it into an alley in a near by street where he sees a lit window. there's a figure having sex that seems to be his love. he stands there and the light dims and shadowing figures appear in lit windows around him and the piss on him. he can't escape the alley as a brick wall showed up. He feels a worm crawling inside his eye. he shows up at her house and hands her a the unsmashed looking chocolate box and he is missing a eyeball but seems more relaxed. she takes his hand and leads him inside the house. the box is revealed to be full of perfectly normal chocolates.

posting this while typing the last two stories.

before I continue, a reply to rayw.
I'm with you there, I want to make something the viewers can connect with. but I also don't want it to be cheap. my frustration comes from trying very hard to do what advice i'm told AND make it my own. The thing I can't figure out why every version comes out incoherent for them.
trying to work out whats blocking my path.

Hey man, no offense intended but I think I agree with your professors. There are some strong images but none of those seem to have much of an arc? They sound like twilight-zone excerpts in a way, "wouldn't it be weird if" or "something isn't as it appears, BIG TWIST".

I feel for you though, 3-5 minute shorts are hard to do a compelling arc.

ok I'll type in the rest of the stories :

4. a boy meets the most amazing girl. but he wakes up to find it's a dream he had while staring at his drawing. the next night he dreams of her again while staring at the drawing. they are inlove. the guy wakes up he is now a married 40 year old man. theres a much painted drawing of her in his bedroom wall. he hates his life and isn't connected to his wife. every day he draws a new drawing of the woman and falls asleep to dream of her again. he keeps trying to make his wife look like that woman. one day his wife figures this out and rips up his drawings. she is crying but he ignores her and goes to his work room to draw the woman again. he cannot recall how she looks without a reference and tries to remember scene from his dreams. his wife is crying in the bedroom still. he remembers being a kid and a girl (his future wife) loves the drawing, he remembers his one failed attempt at an art exhibit, he was crying and his then girlfriend current wife comforted him. she is still crying and he is getting closer to drawing the woman. he remembers his wife putting the drawing in their bedroom being proud of it. his wife's crying had ceases. he remembers that the woman in the dream is actually his wife. he stops drawing and goes to the bed room and hugs her as she sleeps.

This one they actually didn't hear, but i was going to share it with them and didn't. its based on an old story i once wrote.

one (and a half) stories left

hey paul, if you or any of you guys have some helpful advice into making these into coherent stories that'd be a life saver. I will process every idea and post results quickly as time is way past the deadline for me.... .

And i'm not here for reinforcement, especially not a false one. that won't be doing me any favors. helping me shaping this into something that works however, certeinly will.

ok.
this is version 3 of stories 1 and 3:
5. a guy looks in the mirror and sees himself as having a huge eye and a regular one. we see he is a normal looking dude and understand it's an issue of self esteem. he sees a dating ad in the paper and shocked to see a woman with one eye much bigger than the other, much like his. her address is in this and he rips out this ad and excitedly goes off to meet her. on his way he sees a mother and a child in the bus, the child appear to have a huge eye in the mirror and as nathan turns around excited, the kid looks normal again. disappointed nathan gets off at his stop. He looks at her address and sees that her house "no. 52" isn't there. the street goes 49 51 53 and nothing on the other side but a ruined building set for construction. he goes into 51 and 53 and searches for her feverently but cannot find her. about to give up he sees a the rundown house has a window that lit up. he approaches it and the kid from the bus steps out, he is happy to see the kid but the mom steps out to and looking at her he realizes that is the woman from the picture but she has regular eyes. he is heart broken and then notices that in the mirror the woman has a huge eye too, and so does the kid. he understands that everyone has their issues.

and the last story is about a normal looking guy living in a world where everyone face is a different body part (face of only an eye, a nose, a mouth etc). everyone is wearing cloacked hoods and he is too. he is unable to communicate with anyone, everyone points their backs to him and any attempt to communicate results in strange mumbling noises and them still trying to turn their backs on him. he ends up going on a roof to jump before he realised that everyone has a face but its located in the back of their head where his was in the front. he wore the cloak on the wrong side and nothing else was wrong with him.

all of these have been made with synopsises, character designs, storyboards. many many MANY MANY MANY countless hours. I either close the story by next week or i'm screwed big time. HELP ME, please.

Yeah man, the best advice I can give is a format we try to stick to in the under 3 minute timespan. We stick to comedies though.

Present a problem/situation (30 seconds)
Problem persists/grows/becomes more and more hilarious. (1-3 minutes)
Climax (punchline) (problem gets as bad as it's going to get)
Funny resolution (10-20 seconds)

The reason we like comedies is that they work really well in the super short time frame. You don't need to develop a character, a stock character type does fine. It's basically like one big joke that takes 90 seconds to tell. Drama is harder because you usually need to feel attached to a character to make it have impact, and it's harder to introduce a complex situation (comedy can be simple), have it boil to a climax and a resolution in a short time frame.

It's been done, but it's not something done easy.

Not sure if that helps at all, hopefully you can pull something from it man!

Yeah, I'm sorry, but I kinda got lost reading those. For any of them, can you give us a solid logline? Like Paul mentioned, they need an arc. We need a central conflict that must be resolved by the end of the film. For such a short film, that conflict needs to be established immediately.

The length of the film has no bearing on whether or not you can establish a strong arc. It doesn't get any easier as the film gets longer. Give us a focus. What is the one obstacle that our hero needs to overcome, in order to save the day?

Telling a coherent story doesn't mean it has to be traditional or boring. "Memento" is perfectly coherent. Establish a central conflict, and have our hero lead us to a satisfying resolution.

Yeah man, the best advice I can give is a format we try to stick to in the under 3 minute timespan. We stick to comedies though.

Present a problem/situation (30 seconds)
Problem persists/grows/becomes more and more hilarious. (1-3 minutes)
Climax (punchline) (problem gets as bad as it's going to get)
Funny resolution (10-20 seconds)

The reason we like comedies is that they work really well in the super short time frame. You don't need to develop a character, a stock character type does fine. It's basically like one big joke that takes 90 seconds to tell. Drama is harder because you usually need to feel attached to a character to make it have impact, and it's harder to introduce a complex situation (comedy can be simple), have it boil to a climax and a resolution in a short time frame.

It's been done, but it's not something done easy.

Not sure if that helps at all, hopefully you can pull something from it man!

I don't mind putting some comedy in, but i've only dealt with dramatic stories this year and thinking of one now will really be taking me backwards. the movie can ever be 5 minutes but not more. plus its animation so nothing is off limit. need to work out one of these story or atleast understand what I need to do to make it coherent.

I don't disagree in my being wrong. Just wondering how.

Doesn't that seem sad though? That so many films follow this same plan. It just feels uncreative and dirty and stories shouldn't neccesarily follow this same pattern. It becomes boring and repeitive.
Sorta like Tarantino. He has this dialogue that is sometime totally UNNEEDED. But its fun and intresting. Why can't story structure be that way?

Not aruging just having a fun discussion now.
Re. Wondering how.
- at school or on the job you're working for someone else. Give 'em what THEY want.
- on your own time, please, by all means, let your freak flag fly. Go crazy.
The two RARELY ever mix.
Let's get amld outta school, get a job, pay off some debt, marry a house, buy a wife, have some dogs and a kid - then let him go all HOUSE OF THE DEAD on us.

"Yes", it is sad and it's what audiences keep coming back for more of.
McDonald's has been slapping sad little beef patties between big puffy buns with some onions, pickle, and ketchup for a few decades now. Sadly, people can't get enough of the cheap sh!t.
Same principle.

The creativity comes in finding out a solution to the given criteria constraints.
Just like working with electricity or building a house. Deal with 'em.

WTH do TOP GUN, KUNG FU PANDA, and BLACK SWAN have in common?
Not a GD thing other than they all three follow the three act structure.
Howzat for creativity?

I love Tarrantino's non-standard dialog.
I loathe his retarded homages, but the dialogs are great.
He doesn't really have structure.
He has a cult following.
You can't really expect students (or their parents) to pay money to have professors/instructors at film school teach "no structure" and "cult development".
Somehow... I just don't see that happening.

1. Nathan's on a bus, he sees a cute baby and wonders what would happen to his life in he got up and punches the baby. he snaps out of it afterwards. He starts to imagine more things, like commiting suicide, like running naked in the street, and eventually he goes to a bar and imagines killing a girl that rejected him. But it wasn't his imagination. He looks at his deed and is sickened to his very heart and pulls his eyes out as he cannot bare this image. it was indeed his imagination again but the pulling of his eye out was real.

2. A carpenter tries to obsessively build a pinnochio-like real life doll but demons come and try to stop him from his work. They are in reality doctors who try to pull a mental patient from insanity after his son had died.

3. This is V2 of "1" : Nathan is inlove with a girl in his office and finally asks her out. He goes on his way to a date with her holding a heart shaped chocolate box. he plays with a baby on the bus and worms fly out of the box on the baby's face. He gets to the girl's house and while buzzing the door his finger sticks to it like the skin was a part of the buzzer, loosens as she answers the door but he ramains shaken and dumps the chocolate box before she see it. he is unable to get close to her as he imagines his fingers turning into worms. he messed up the date and walks outside.
2 version of how this goes from here:
3a: he leans on a wall and thinks worms are crawling on him but a guy walks by and stares at him funny and the worms are gone. he throws something at the direction of the guy and it kills him. nathan thinks its in his head but sees that its really and horrified he calls 911. but as he presses "1" the body has disappear. there is a pile of worms instead. he follows the trail of worms to a little dark alley where there's a HUGE pile of worms. the worms grab his feet so he cannot move while shadowy figures from different windows that light up starts peeing on him from high above. He stands there being peed on and gives up in resisting it. he shows up at her house, dry and smiling and hands the girl his eye ball.
3b. He gets out from her house. he sees the dumped chocolate box and steps on it repeatedly. worms crawl out of it and onto him. They suddenly disappears as he hears someone laughing quiety above him. sees figures looking at him from windows and hears soft laughter, he walks away. he then hears moaning and follows it into an alley in a near by street where he sees a lit window. there's a figure having sex that seems to be his love. he stands there and the light dims and shadowing figures appear in lit windows around him and the piss on him. he can't escape the alley as a brick wall showed up. He feels a worm crawling inside his eye. he shows up at her house and hands her a the unsmashed looking chocolate box and he is missing a eyeball but seems more relaxed. she takes his hand and leads him inside the house. the box is revealed to be full of perfectly normal chocolates.

Okay,

#1 isn't even a story. That is pretty incoherent and serves no entertainment purpose.
There was no point to the story.
"The moral of the story is... ?"
There isn't one, really.
Just a guy nutting out and pulling out his eyes.

#2 could be pounded out into something, but for a three minute short that's quite a bit much to stick in there.

#3 Alright, that's just waaaaaay too much shhhhhstuff to put into a short. And again, there's no real story, just a random lot of stuff happening.

Just move on from crazy-man stories.
No one likes 'em.
They're worse than effin zombie films.

How the h3ll are you going to film all of this worm activity on a film student budget?

I'm not saying write a romcom.
I'm just saying that if you're going on a date with Miss Priss White Anglo-Saxon Protestant Farmer's Daughter of the American Revolution you might wanna keep your nipple studs and Prince Albert piercings to yourself for the first coupla dates.
Don't even bother showing off your furries closet off of your BDSM chamber.

You wanna do mental health?
Black Swan. "I can do it." "No, you can't!" "Can!" "Can't!" "Can!" "Can't" Kills herself doing it.
Amadeus. "I killed Amadeus!" Um... no, you didn't.
The Virgin Suicides. "Daddy made us do it."
Fight Club. "My life sux. But this guy here sure is interesting!"
Conspiracy Theory. "All these people are out to get someone!" "No, they ain't. Oh. Waittaminit... they are, actually."
Donnie Darko. "I spy with my little eye... "
Lars and the Real Girl. "I need a friend. Got one." 'Yeah, but... Whatever. Great. Cool. Let's go shopping."

Just rip off any of these and go from there.

Last edited:
Back