would like to network w/other newbs

Hi,

I am just getting started, & would love to get to talk to some other newbs here, as well as any more experienced indie directors I can find, too. I am currently getting stuff together to try to do my first film on almost no budget...actually, I do not know if I even qualify as no-budget, since the definitions change every few years, it seems!

I am currently looking for the camera, trying to translate some disjointed random scenes into a meaningful script, and wondering where to get some good volunteer actors & actresses, since SAG has pretty much locked down even the most obscure local unknowns.

I have a disability which makes the whole thing even more challenging. I won't give up, though...

So, anyway, thanks for reading; and if you would like to strike up a chat, please reply here, or message me, or whatever. I already enjoy the discussions I read here.

Hey welcome. I'm hoping to do my first short film once I've saved enough for a decent camera.
I'm my own screenwriter too so that keeps me busy while I save.
About the disability, I'm sure it won't stop you from chasing your dream. I don't think someones disability has truly ever stopped them from doing what they want to do - unless they give into it.
Best of luck.

:welcome:

Finding cast & crew doesn't have to be an impossible task, if you're near any major city, there is probably a section on craigslist for that city. You can post a free classified ad there in the appropriate area (under gigs, talent for the cast, and crew for the crew). But I would suggest you get your script solid before worrying about any of that.

:)

SAG has pretty much locked down even the most obscure local unknowns.

That's not the case, at all.

There are tens of thousands of non-SAG actors (many good ones, too!) who try to make a living at performing.

Even if they are not pulling in money from the dizzying amount of lo/no-budget productions out there, they are looking to land any kind of gig - paying or not. (Though the paying ones are better, mind you. Even if just a token amount. ;) )

Place casting calls up on Craigslist, or Mandy.com

Better yet, when your script/budget/production-details are all set, call up some local acting schools (including college ones) and talk to the owner. Let them know you'd like to sit in, for possible casting opportunities. Heck, I landed a few gigs like that myself.

But yah, get all the other details in place first. :cool:

Back