Worst flick released in 2003 .... ?

Worst movie? I don't know.

most overrated movie? Lost In Translation. I understand why people liked it, and I understand that it was very unique (which is a good thing), but that won't change how boring I found it. There was soooo little going on throughout the movie, and I was left deeply unsatisfied at the end. By no means was it the worst movie, but it was very overrated in my opinion.

Most people did...just not my taste I guess.

I really liked Endless Sunshine though (made by the same company: Focus Features).

I usually like unique movies, but Lost In Translation was just not my cup o' tea I guess...I thought it was okay though...It didn't have much of a plot...too few conflicts....and the conflicts I did connect with (his wife and kids barely knowing him) never got resolved or even adressed at a significant level. I guess I just wasn't the right audience for this picture. Oh well.

Irriversable

Although it was very well structured and I like the approach it's not something I haven't seen before (not totally original) and it was verging on the pretentious and sensationalist.

I felt nothing was exagerrated in Irreversible. I think all the other rape or murder scenes we see in movies are drastically understated.

The director, Gaspar Noe, in an interview said that he likes to put things on screen that scare him.

They scare me too, Monsieur Noe. They scare me too.

And about Lost in Translation, I loved it. The more I watch it (Thanks, Mrs. Poke, for the DVD), the more I love it. The elliptical trainer gag is about the funniest thing I've ever seen.

But I can see where some people have a problem with it. It doesn't have much of a plot, not much happens, and there really is no resolution.

But that was the point, I think. (At the risk of having the Brian Cox version of Robert McKee kick my ass) Real life actually works that way. Sure there is resolution in real life, and things do happen. But in the span of a few days there is a good chance that we will meet someone, have a connection with them, never see them again, and be happy with that.

Poke

Hmmm...the worst movie

Did anyone even mention Gigli....wow, that was terrible. Also didn't Freddy vs. Jason come out last year? I havent laughed that hard watching a movie ever, and it wasn't even a comedy.

As for Lost In Translation i enjoyed that movie. It was a little slow but for some reason i liked it (i usually dont like those types of movies).

I haven't seen Ireversible yet but i really want to. I also have been dying to see another film by Gaspar Noe called I Stand Alone, but i can't find it anywhere to rent/buy and when i look online its almost $30!!!!!!

I forgot about Freddie vs. Jason!!! HAHAHA!! That was pretty bad. I laughed so hard at how stupid it was.

Freddie vs. Jason is my vote for worst (I haven't seen Gigli...I'm sure that's even worse).

Gigli went straight to video here. As for freddy vs jason, my 12 year old brother went to see that & thought it was crap. & here I was thinking he had no taste (as he enjoys talking animal films) but it turns out he kinda does.

You're right Poke. It was supposed to be funny. It's still pretty bad to me. Some parts were supposed to be scary (you can tell), but they just came off as too extreme and very cartoon like (i.e. when the very sexy Kelly Rowland gets killed). Whatever. I know it's sort of supposed to be like that...and to be honest I enjoyed it (I'm not gonna buy it or anything), but it is still a bad movie; whether it's on purpose or not...and it's the worst one I've seen all year.

Yea they do seem intentionally bad. But like you guys said, some of it was supposed to be scary, like the people on the gurneys that sat up and had no eyes, i can't remember if thats what rele happened because by that time in the movie i had gouged my own eyes out..........

Good thing I didn't see or rent that one. I just went off reviews alone (I know, I'm evil!). You know, I didn't really go to the cinema a whole lot in 2003, in fact I even missed PDL in the theater. Nothing really spoke to me, besides the LoTR that said "you have to go see this" although Paycheck looked promising and I really wanted to see The Italian Job. We'll see how different 2004 is, seeing as how now my life is turning into nothing but film, I may make it to the theater more... in which case I'll be ready for the "crap of 2004" thread ;)

I am very happy I didn't go see Gigli for the laugh factor, but I can tell you if they do remake Casablanca with Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck (hopefully thats dead now), it will be at the top of the 2004/2005 thread :)

House of the Dead

The worst movie of 2003 in my opinion was without a doubt, "House of the Dead". If have a doubt that an entire film's cast and crew should be shot, hanged and burned at the stake see this "film". It will destory your faith in the medium.

William J Long III

Back