Working on my first big Short

It's going to be about 45 minutes long. I've got the connections to cameras, editors, me and my buddy are writing/directing it, we have possible actors. We just need to secure locations, finish writing, and make sure we have a full team.

Title: Earl Ton

I. Story: Earl Ton and Glen have been friends for the longest time. They meet up in a diner, and Glen tells Earl that he is sick of life. He's going to kill himself. The catch? When Glen dies, Earl dies.

II. Location: Most of the movie is placed in a diner. There is an off screen car crash and scenes in a hospital.

III. Cast: Very small. Earl and Glen...a couple Waitresses, some other minor characters, and then your good 'ol extras.

I love this plot line, because it's going to have a very small budget. We have connections to diners and a hospital near us that we will have to pay only a small amount of money to use, if any at all.

If by chance, the hospital doesn't work out, we're going to find something else to replace it with.

I'm really excited guys!:yes:

Why does earl die?

Near the end, you begin to realize that there is something wrong with Glen AND Earl

Glen is Schizophrenic. Earl ISN'T real. Look at EARL TON backwards. It's NOT REAL.

Throughout the film, Glen is portrayed as normal while Earl grows crazier and crazier. The ending shot is a zoom out of Glen's dead body and and empty booth across from him.

EDIT: Earl ISN'T real backwards, you have to rearrange the letters, but...you get the point.

... I think if you just say earl is an anagram it would make peoples lives a lot easier :)

So this is like a fight club scenario almost...

Btw have you got lighting? Audio?

... I think if you just say earl is an anagram it would make peoples lives a lot easier :)

So this is like a fight club scenario almost...

Btw have you got lighting? Audio?

I could have done that...but then again, it's like 5 in the morning.

We have the audio. We're just working on getting the lighting. We have some connections, it just depends on their current projects and stuff.

Love the concept. Personally, I think 45 minutes is way too long. I'd make a strong, witty 8 minute short and set up that killer hook you have. I'm afraid people are going to tune out 5 to 10 minutes in with the subject matter. Especially with only diner and hospital locations.

Good luck.

Glen is Schizophrenic. Earl ISN'T real. Look at EARL TON backwards. It's NOT REAL.

EDIT: Earl ISN'T real backwards, you have to rearrange the letters, but...you get the point.

So he's schizophrenic and dyslexic? :eek:

Sounds cool. Hope it all comes together. :)

So he's schizophrenic and dyslexic? :eek:

Sounds cool. Hope it all comes together. :)

LOL

We didn't want to come up with a name that was too obvious. Earl Ton is easy to guess if you think of it, but it's not super straight forward.

As for the length of the film:

We have quite a few things we need to go into in this film. 8-10 minutes wouldn't provide enough time.

From the story that you wrote, I don't think there is enough conflict to last for longer than 7 mins at the longest.. But then again, I haven't read the screenplay.
Have fun on the shoot!

From the story that you wrote, I don't think there is enough conflict to last for longer than 7 mins at the longest.. But then again, I haven't read the screenplay.
Have fun on the shoot!

We're actually still writing it, but we have almost everything for the set ready.

If we can't get good enough content to make in 45 minutes, we'll shorten it for sure.

Back